Netflix became the past year's best performer on the S&P 500.

Poll
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

June 15th, 2015 at 2:28:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Use electricity as an example. The house has 200 Amp service, which is about standard for a new home in the USA. I don't know what is normal in Mexico, but possibly 100 Amp.

No idea, since I cannot tell an Amp from a Volt. But I do know US (and Canadian) appliances work the same in Mexico without any adapters, converters or other modifications, and vice versa.

Quote:
Similarly data plans cost different amounts if its is 10,25,50,110 Mbps. But that is like the maximum amperage of the house. Two people with 25 Mbps could use massively different amounts of data in a month. But all people on the same speed are usually paying similar amounts per month.

Oh, I understand that. My mom uses her PC very little, but watches tons of video on her "smart" TV. She surely sues up a lot more data than i do, even though my PC is on, and online, as much time as I spend at home and awake. We pay the same because we have the same plans with the same company.

With electricity, though, the electric company has to make all the energy I will consume, not just pipe it into my home. With data, what's the cost? The amount of actual data used, or the piping of the data into the home?

If each byte costs money, then ISPs can charge for data without any qualm. if not, then it seems like just a ploy to throttle competitors.

Quote:
But people hate to be timed. I am fairly certain that most people who when offered a timed fee schedule will elect not to take it, even if there was a good chance their bill would come lower.

Oh, I know. That's why long distance calls were so stressful in the past.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 16th, 2015 at 3:28:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
No idea, since I cannot tell an Amp from a Volt. But I do know US (and Canadian) appliances work the same in Mexico without any adapters, converters or other modifications, and vice versa.

Voltage doesn't vary in significant amounts within a country (normally). US is 110 or 120, and Mexico is 127 but that is all within tolerance. Europe is 230 and parts of South america are 230.

Amperage is the amount of current you are drawing. A window unit air conditioner is about 12 Amps as is an electric space heater. Up until the 1960's houses were wired for a maximum of 60 Amps (as is Evenbob's home). Now 200 Amps is probably the most common, but a big house with air conditioning and heating controlled by electricity might be 400 Amps.

In Mexico (in small cities) it seemed like you were much less likely to run ovens, ranges, hot water heaters, central air conditioning on electric.

Quote: Nareed
If each byte costs money, then ISPs can charge for data without any qualm. if not, then it seems like just a ploy to throttle competitors.

It seems as if a lot of engineers are saying that the ISP's are simply using this idea of "fairness" as a ruse.

Perhaps in ten years the cable industry will acknowledge what caps are really about: driving up the cost of data for all users in order to offset the inevitable decline in TV revenues, while trying to retain the competitive upper hand in the age of streaming video.
June 16th, 2015 at 7:02:16 AM permalink
Nareed
In Mexico (in small cities) it seemed like you were much less likely to run ovens, ranges, hot water heaters, central air conditioning on electric.

I just make sure to pay the electric bill on time.

Aside rom appliances and lights, all I run with electricity is the fridge and freezer. I have an electric space heater in my room, but I try my utmost not to use it. These things consume tons of power (pretty much they make heat by wasting electricity). We don't have AC. It's still rather uncommon in Mexico City, except in cars and large buildings, though it's very popular in other parts of the country.

Quote:
It seems as if a lot of engineers are saying that the ISP's are simply using this idea of "fairness" as a ruse.

How's the situation regarding internet providers? Where I live I can get many kinds: cable, telephone (landline), and cellular. The first is by one company only, but the latter two by several. I'm not sure about cellular, but the other two types all charge by speed rather than time or MB.
June 16th, 2015 at 7:24:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Since 1960, Mexico's constitution has established public sector "exclusivity" over electricity. In 1992, a limited reform allowed private companies to generate electricity, but required the power generated to be either used for the company's own consumption or sold to CFE, effectively stifling competition. In spite of the limitations, private-sector generation accounts for about 30 percent of the county's power, as many companies have sought self-supply arrangements to lower their energy bills.

According to CFE data, total installed generation capacity in Mexico stands at 52 GW. USA probably has 25X capacity for three times the population.

What about electric dryers? Usually if a residence in USA has only one high capacity circuit it is to run an electric dryer.

I would be curious what you pay in pesos per kilowatt. Prices in New York City are very high, and in Sydney they are ridiculous.

Although television via satellite is fairly popular in the USA it is usually slow and expensive way to get internet. The phone companies are concentrating on fiber, but only in limited high density areas. The traditional phone companies used to provide DSL, but that is almost dead. Cellular data is uber expensive. So copper cable is the primary means of getting internet. Comcast is just the largest corporation in the USA. The Fcc just redefined broadband to mean 25 Mbps which dictates a lot of funding.
June 16th, 2015 at 7:44:32 AM permalink
Nareed
What about electric dryers? Usually if a residence in USA has only one high capacity circuit it is to run an electric dryer.

I've no idea if the drier is electric or gas. The water heater is gas.

Quote:
I would be curious what you pay in pesos per kilowatt. Prices in New York City are very high, and in Sydney they are ridiculous.

I'll check the next bill. I generally only see the amount due.

Quote:
Although television via satellite is fairly popular in the USA it is usually slow and expensive way to get internet.

Here, too. More so now that lots of people actually upload to "the cloud"

Quote:
The phone companies are concentrating on fiber, but only in limited high density areas. The traditional phone companies used to provide DSL, but that is almost dead.

I had DSL with Telmex, then they upgraded our area to fiber. But all other phone companies offer some form of broadband.

Before I moved I had cable, and it was pretty good. but competition remains common. I had wireless briefly, not cellular, and it was also rather good, but the company offering it closed down the service. I'd have put in cable, but for some reason by that time cable hadn't reached our area.
June 18th, 2015 at 4:36:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Don't mess with Gilbert Arenas Netflix account or you can get a cinderblock thrown at your car.

"Gilbert says he has a perfectly good explanation -- claiming Laura had thrown his computer in his pool and smashed 34 windows at his Calabasas home.
"I don't remember my #Netflix password it was auto saved, you piece of sh*t. u take a person #Netflix away,nothing else matters."
"here's my comment: I LIKE NETFLIX..."

http://www.tmz.com/2015/06/17/gilbert-arenas-smashes-car-with-cinder-block-to-get-revenge-on-baby-mama/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 18th, 2015 at 4:38:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The major networks may stop selling their old TV shows to Netflix. They may find it more useful to only post on their own websites like hulu and CBS all access.

Would anyone drop 'netflix over network programming?
September 18th, 2015 at 5:05:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The major networks may stop selling their old TV shows to Netflix. They may find it more useful to only post on their own websites like hulu and CBS all access.

I doubt it. The shows I watch are all at least 15 years old so unlikely to be pulled. "Shark Tank" is the only network show I watch when I can, which is rare and almost always online. I can't name 5 other network shows.
The President is a fink.
September 18th, 2015 at 5:09:50 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

The majority of my watching is shows rather than movies. Same goes for the kid. I'm talking 90%+. If it was just movies, I'd likely have never gotten it in the first place.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 18th, 2015 at 6:23:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
The majority of my watching is shows rather than movies. Same goes for the kid. I'm talking 90%+. If it was just movies, I'd likely have never gotten it in the first place.

Well Netflix does produce it's own series like Daredevil and Orange is the New Black. If Networks stopped selling shows, Netflix would no doubt increase their production of series. They would also be able to purchase English language series from BBC, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.

The networks may still sell their cancelled series to Netflix. They may just stop selling previous years of shows like "Criminal Minds" or "Person of Interest" that are still airing new episodes on CBS.

"Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" was produced by Universal Television, a subdivision of the company that owns NBC. However given that every sitcom for the last five years airing on NBC has been cancelled, they elected to sell the show to Netflix rather than air it on NBC.