Netflix became the past year's best performer on the S&P 500.

Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>
Poll
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

September 18th, 2015 at 6:44:04 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin

The networks may still sell their cancelled series to Netflix.

I hope so. There's nothing my life needs more right now than a 26 day binge of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. And yes, I'm dead serious.

I'm just not hip. I'm always at least 3 or 4 years behind on everything, it seems. I think you mentioned 5 shows in your post. I've only even heard of two (both from DT threads) and have seen none of them. Even stuff I'm into, like Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, are things I have no problem waiting for until they hit Netflix. Even Game of Thrones, which I'm positively enamored with, is something I wait 10 months for, until it comes out in DVD box set.

I suppose I'm unorthodox. While I'll actually sit down for the express purpose of watching "Goon" before a big game, the majority of my time online is playing "Parks and Rec" or "The Office", if for no other reason than to drown out the voices in my head =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 18th, 2015 at 7:29:01 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have netflix, and I have an antenna. If it isn't on netflix or isn't broadcast over the air, then I just won't see it.

Unfortunately for everyone who isn't netflix, I am extremely unlikely to subscribe to a single source streaming service, such as cbs.

If things fracture that way, with each network having its own subscription service and pulling their shows from netflix or free hulu or free OTA, it will be their loss and their advertiser's loss, because I simply won't see it.

My threshold for how much I am willing to pay for tv has gotten very low.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 18th, 2015 at 8:21:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Networks will never stop selling to Netflix.
It's just another revenue stream to them.
They already made a profit on the series
when it aired, anything they can make on top
of that they won't give up. They may
offer it on their own site too, but Netflix
is so big it would be foolish to think
people want to see a show that went
off 4 years ago so badly that they would go
searching for it. And showing past
seasons of shows still on the air drums
up new fans every day for the upcoming
season. Win/win for the network.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2015 at 10:02:35 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I doubt it. The shows I watch are all at least 15 years old so unlikely to be pulled. "Shark Tank" is the only network show I watch when I can, which is rare and almost always online. I can't name 5 other network shows.

Some of the older shows get pulled, as the licence expires. This may be more common in Canada, several BBC shows are no longer there due to licence times, and some other US network shows (Monk is one I recall) were on for a while, but no more.

I don't doubt they'll come back again.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 19th, 2015 at 7:08:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Possibly it will depend on who the production studio is for a show. These NBC shows are produced in house. They may find that they don't want to sell to Netflix.
The Blacklist
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Chicago Fire
Chicago PD
Chicago Med
Heroes
Grimm

Of course, "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" was produced at NBCUniversal and they decided to take the cash by selling it to Netflix and not airing it on NBC
September 19th, 2015 at 7:20:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Possibly it will depend on who the production studio is for a show. These NBC shows are produced in house. They may find that they don't want to sell to Netflix.
The Blacklist
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Chicago Fire
Chicago PD
Chicago Med
Heroes
Grimm

Blacklist, Law, and Heroes is already on Netflix.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2015 at 9:05:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Blacklist, Law, and Heroes is already on Netflix.

Yes, I realize that they are selling their shows to Netflix today, but they may not in the future. Netflix is becoming almost another TV network, and I am sure it is approaching the CW network which produces 10 hours of shows per week.

There were 115.6 million estimated TV households in the US in 2013, while Netflix has a 62 million worldwide subscriber base which pays approximately $8 a month for the service. But viewership by next year on Netflix could begin to surpass the lowest ranked networks (CW is not full time network).

ABC, Fox, and NBC steered away from third-party studios this season, a recent trend in the broadcast TV industry. These studios are producing almost exclusively in-house with ABC producing all of its 10 new shows either fully or partially and Fox producing 9 of 10 new shows in-house. Exclusive in-house production positions the networks for higher gains and greater losses. If a show’s a hit, the network gets all the profit, but if it’s a flop, they absorb all the losses.

As more and more of the shows are produced in house, there may be more of a tendency to want to reap the benefit of the shows for many years, even when new episodes are no longer airing.
September 19th, 2015 at 9:34:43 PM permalink
Evenbob

As more and more of the shows are produced in house, there may be more of a tendency to want to reap the benefit of the shows for many years, even when new episodes are no longer airing.

We can't know what will happen. Selling shows
to Netflix puts a lot of product in one place
with huge viewership potential. Keeping it
in just one place will make you more money
per view, but mean far far less viewers. The
smart thing is sell it to Netflix, more bang
for the buck and less hassle. Who knows.
September 20th, 2015 at 12:23:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Starz CEO: ‘Shortsighted’ of Networks to Sell Hot Shows to Netflix
Albrecht said he understands the motivation of networks and studio suppliers to take the big checks from Netflix for content rights: “It’s hard to turn down the immediate high of what they’re paying,” he said.

From 2007 when Netflix introduced streaming, until 2010 Starz was a major provider of content to Netflix. When Albrecht became CEO in 2010 he broke the relationship thinking that it was not in the best long term strategy for Starz. Netflix premiered Lillyhammer, it's first original series in North America on 6 February 2012.
September 20th, 2015 at 12:45:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Netflix premiered Lillyhammer, it's first original series in North America on 6 February 2012.

Starz is Starz, it's an off the grid network.
They gave no good reasons for not selling
to Netflix. As far as Lilyhammer, first season
was great, second was OK, 3rd sucked so
bad I could barely watch it. Stevie was
hardly in it, I barely knew what it was about.

And they cancelled it in July, no 4th season.
The 3rd was so ridiculous, so disjointed, so
nothing like the first 2 seasons, who wants
to see a 4th. Ick.. Same with House of Cards.
3rd season sucked. It jumped the shark when
he became president. Oh well..

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Lilyhammer-Has-Been-Cancelled-Here-Stunned-Message-From-Steven-Van-Zandt-73317.html
Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>