The GoPro Thread

Page 2 of 20<12345>Last »
January 11th, 2014 at 7:19:44 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
Yes, I was trying to not look around too much, knowing I was recording. I'm still getting used to the clip-in pedals, which is why I have to look down sometimes. In the Western Beltway trail I also look down sometimes to get my water bottle.

You're doing a good job. Very easy to follow without the scene changing all the time.

I faced a dilemma with that last two. There is a lot less shaking if I ride downhill. However, the downhill direction faces the sun. GoPro does a good job of minimizing sun glare but it is still there. In the end I decided to go uphill and suffer more shaking on the video to not have the sun in my face.

I don't think the shaking is much of an issue. It's really not bad. Considering you're actually having to exert force and it's sped up, I'd consider it "exceptional". See my bobsled video for some bad shaking (and that's after YouTube offered to "smooth it out for me" lol)

I haven't heard the word "crick" in 20 years. My last girlfriend, not counting my wife, used to use it and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It's CREEK.

One of the very first things you ever said to me when we met was a jab at my use of "crick" as you wondered aloud if I was some kind of hillbilly. I hope you know by now that yes, I am XD

Where I live I could be rock climbing at Red Rock in 15 minutes. How many people can say they live that close to some of American's, even the world's, best rock climbing. Okay, suburban Vegas looks like it was made of ticky-tacky but at least it is usually sunny and the weather is really pretty good on average.

Oh, I can understand why you live there. Especially given your profession, it makes sense to be close to the action, and 60* in February ain't bad. I was just wondering what you daydream about, as it can't be about the scenery. No problem if it's too personal, I just take an interest into what people think about =p

Thanks! That is what I'm trying to do.

You got it, my friend!

You're welcome, and thanks as well. Your environment is vastly different than mine, and I'd be interested to see some of the nature preserve type areas.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 12th, 2014 at 9:24:00 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Thats the album cut of 'Tubthumpin' by Chumbawamba... I suspect that's by chance not judgement :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 12th, 2014 at 11:02:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: TheCesspit
Thats the album cut of 'Tubthumpin' by Chumbawamba... I suspect that's by chance not judgement :)

That is just what from iTunes. If you like live versions better, see my Lone Mountain Trail video for the live version of Run Like Hell, which is much better than the studio version, in my opinion.

Quote:
I was just wondering what you daydream about, as it can't be about the scenery. No problem if it's too personal, I just take an interest into what people think about =p

Nothing in particular. I just let it wander wherever it may go. I'm too restless to just sit and contemplate a sunset, for example, but when I'm doing something repetitive like riding a bike my mind can do some pretty deep wandering.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 13th, 2014 at 6:20:50 AM permalink
Face
Strapped it on for hockey, or so I tried...

I was debating whether to just wear it for warm ups or keep it on the whole game. Although it's small and light, my helmet is hyper light and the weight was noticeable. Not that it was heavy or strained my neck or anything, it just felt weird.

Well the debate was all for naught as the ref ended up telling me to take it off as he was scared "it might hurt someone" if I duck my head and hit them with it. So...I can swing a 6' club at people, and wear knives on my feet, and hurl 210lbs at 30mph at people, and fire a 3oz frozen projectile 80mph at people, but 3oz of the same plastic that makes up my equipment is "dangerous". LOLogic.

Figures that on my second shift, I stole the puck from not one but two people, deked another out of his jock, and ripped a goal over the goalie's shoulder unassisted. I know, I know... pics or it didn't happen =p

I'll try again when the more liberal refs are on the ice. For now, I just got warmups. Kinda boring, but I'm thrilled with the quality =)

January 13th, 2014 at 6:42:41 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I like it when you were bouncing the puck on your stick. Too bad you couldn't keep it on for the game.

To completely change the topic, when I go ice skating and get rental skates my feet get sore about about half an hour. It feels like all my weight is supported on those two thin blades. If I were to buy some decent skates of my own, would this alleviate the problem, or is it like this with all skates? My younger daughter seems be taking an interest in ice skating so maybe I'll be going more often to justify the expense of buying my own.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 13th, 2014 at 8:57:02 AM permalink
Face
Would've been a perfect game for it, too. Lot of action, lot of contact, a whistle to whistle battle from start to finish. I'll surely try again. Even if I can't get in a league game, I should be able to get in a tournament one. If not that, then the pond hockey tourney. If not that, then I can definitely get in some pick up action. I'll get something one way or the other.

As for your foot pain, I suspect the problem is two fold - junk skates and soft feet.

That's not a jab, just the truth. Your foot doesn't sit in a skate as it does a shoe. All the muscles you've built throughout the years of walking support your foot when you're walking. The ones that support your foot when skating aren't built up, so your foot sort of collapses. It causes pain both in the weak muscles you're now trying to use, as well as in your sole as your foot is being smashed into the skate without support. Just to show the difference, notice how wadded my feet and ankles are due to all the strange muscles I've grown on top due to skating.

But even though you can't expect to fix that immediately if ever, there's hope. Properly fitted skates will make a WORLD of difference. Renting skates is like renting shoes for a wedding. Yeah, you can get your foot in them, but it's gonna hurt after an hour. Most rentals are very cheap and terribly worn.

I'd suggest getting your own. My skates last about 6 or 7 years, and keep in mind, they get beat mercilessly. They're wet for 5 months a year, are used 30+ times a year, and are exposed to either rough pond conditions and/or being struck constantly by other skates, sticks, and pucks. For just recreational free skate, a new pair could/should last you a lifetime. And although you can find no shortage of skates in excess of $400, I've never bought a pair that cost more than $80. As long as it's brand name (I assume you wear hockey style and not figure skates), any Reebok, Nike, Bauer, CCM is going to be of high quality. At $5 a rental in my parts, every skate after your 16th is "free". Plus, since they're yours, you can pop in a Dr. Scholls type insert into them to give you more cushion.

A skate should be snug, but not tight. You should have enough room to wiggle your toes and cross them over each other. Your foot should not be able to slide around inside your skate, you'll get blisters that way. I usually break the foot into four parts - the toes, the flat, the bend, and the ankle. When you tie your skates, the first three or so laces (toes) get tightened the first time you lace up, then never again. And by "tightened" I mean just snugged up. You don't want any pressure on your toes, and they should be able to wiggle. The next two or three laces are "the flat", that is, the top of your foot. These should be snug. You should feel only light pressure, and your foot shouldn't be able to slide inside the skate. The two or so laces in "the bend", where your foot/ankle meets and flexes, should be loose. Tighten here and you'll get some intense, shooting pain and your feet will fall asleep. If your feet are cold, you've tied too tight here. The last two or three laces are the ankle, and these I tie pretty tight. I've never tightened this area enough to cause pain, and too loose with make your skate wobble when you're coasting. If your feet hurt, I'd take a look and adjust the bend and the flat.

Keep in mind the first 4 or 5 times you use them will be awkward. It is for me, too, and I've been skating for 20+ years. New skates are stiff, and you might not see the improvement you were looking for. But as you use them, they will start to conform to the shape of your feet, and your feet will start to get used to the shape of your skate. You'll probably also have to adjust the way you tie as the boot and laces stretch during the break in period. But once you get past that break in stage, you should see a world of difference.

Have fun!
January 13th, 2014 at 11:31:09 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Tried skating once in hockey skates. Was a miserable experience. I'd only used 'dance' skates, as you call 'em over here in the UK. Was pretty awful in them as well, but could at least glide and move. I'll watch you guys play, and stay on less slippery surfaces, and keep with the running for my physical activity.

Anyways, video is awesome. Keep it up!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 13th, 2014 at 11:39:24 AM permalink
TheCesspit
That is just what from iTunes. If you like live versions better, see my Lone Mountain Trail video for the live version of Run Like Hell, which is much better than the studio version, in my opinion.

Just amused me more than anything else. Chumbawamba probably don't have any issue with you 'borrowing' their music. They did suggest people steal 'Tubthumper' from the large chains. I paid for my copy. I never do what I'm told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4CqmLCYis

They are one of my top favourite bands, despite (or because of...) their over played, one-hit wonder single. Saw them several times before they 'hit' the big time, and once afterwards and they'd go back to playing the arse-elbow of nowhere
January 13th, 2014 at 11:51:46 AM permalink
Face
Tried skating once in hockey skates. Was a miserable experience. I'd only used 'dance' skates, as you call 'em over here in the UK. Was pretty awful in them as well, but could at least glide and move. I'll watch you guys play, and stay on less slippery surfaces, and keep with the running for my physical activity.

Anyways, video is awesome. Keep it up!

The skates with two wheels in front and two wheels in back, side by side? Like this?

Those are much easier to use, simply for the "stopper" on the toes. You can push off with it and it makes the skating motion similar to walking. Roller blades and ice skates require a "side to side" push, totally unlike walking. It takes a while to get used to.

I actually have 3 more videos d/l'ing to YouTube right now. Despite my reports of 65" of snow and double digit negative temps over on WoV, I live in NY. So today's temps of mid 50s in mid January...is about expected. I went for a drive to test camera placement, and pulled out some guns to test them as well. Don't get too excited, this is more just testing to get placement down and get ideas. But I'll throw them up for fun when they're complete.
January 13th, 2014 at 12:25:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Just amused me more than anything else. Chumbawamba probably don't have any issue with you 'borrowing' their music. They did suggest people steal 'Tubthumper' from the large chains. I paid for my copy. I never do what I'm told.

I think Youtube has a deal where the link to purchase music shows up below the video for whatever music is used, unless the artist requests not to, then they just delete your video.

They have music detection for figuring out what you're playing,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 20<12345>Last »