January 20th, 2014 at 6:03:21 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin

Gussied up always bugged me.

/sigh. I'll just shut up.

Quote: rxwine
slow motion test/ plus gives settings

Man, I gotta get to playing with this thing more. Too bad I don't have my bike or wheeler anymore, this would've came in real handy =/

I was gonna bring it to hockey last weekend, thinking the 3rd round of the tourney would be the best shot as I could take it easy if we were already a shoe in for the championships. And then, of course, I tore my calf in the first period of the first round and was out.

I've never torn a muscle before and have no idea the recovery time. Part of me thinks I'll be able to push through and have footage as early as mid Feb, but I imagine worst case I can have it by tournament time in late April.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 20th, 2014 at 10:03:06 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
I've never torn a muscle before and have no idea the recovery time. Part of me thinks I'll be able to push through and have footage as early as mid Feb, but I imagine worst case I can have it by tournament time in late April.

Did that last year in early March, took about 6-8 weeks to be able to run properly, and another 4 weeks to get back to putting any distance. However, I don't have your strength and recuperative powers, or tolerance for pain. On the flip side, it was a relatively minor tear in soleus. And on the other flip side, I did have a very nice pair of physio's look after me to rehab and massage it back into working shape.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 24th, 2014 at 5:08:00 PM permalink
Face
Wiz, how long would you say it takes from having footage on your GoPro to having it ready to distribute?

I got to wear it in my last game and broke it into 4 segments - warmups and three individual periods. Each period was ~15 minutes long. One, 15 min clip was just a few minutes to get from GoPro to PC, but then it was a good 100+min to get from PC to YouTube, and damn near another 100min to edit and save the changes. And that was for each individual video. I know your bike rides are about as long and you do editing too, so was just looking to compare times to see if that's normal.

It was kinda of disappointing as we played one of the newest teams and it contains a lot of first year skaters. As a result, there's not much fast and furious action on their part, and we definitely coasted in return so as not to annihilate them. It's looks more like a skate and shoot than an actual game. I also notice an extreme difference after editing. The "shakiness removal" effect adds a little distortion, and also made it look a lot slower than the already slow game it was. And I kind of mucked up the positioning; I need to angle it a little downward next time.

It was also bizarre looking through my own eyes, so to speak. I found it very interesting to see the difference between what I'm seeing and what I saw. Perhaps it's the fact that it's no longer binocular vision, or maybe it's just because my heart and mind aren't racing at the speed of light. I can only say the difference is extreme.

Anyways, here they are. Remember to switch to HD. Advice/criticism appreciated.

January 24th, 2014 at 7:22:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote:
Wiz, how long would you say it takes from having footage on your GoPro to having it ready to distribute?

It depends on the length. Most of it is spent on the YouTube upload. I'd say that a 15-minute video, for example, would take two hours from the time I load it into the GoPro editing software until it is ready to view on YouTube.

I saw there was a Tim Hortons ad in the rink on your videos. I thought that was just a Canadian thing. It would be nice if they expanded to Las Vegas.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 24th, 2014 at 7:47:26 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Wizard
It depends on the length. Most of it is spent on the YouTube upload. I'd say that a 15-minute video, for example, would take two hours from the time I load it into the GoPro editing software until it is ready to view on YouTube.

Good to know. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote: Wizard
I saw there was a Tim Hortons ad in the rink on your videos. I thought that was just a Canadian thing. It would be nice if they expanded to Las Vegas.

Well, if I go just up the road to the top of the hill, I can see Canada. To us, it's more like just another town than an entirely different country.

I find Tim Horton's to be bizarre on a whole other level. It is without a doubt the most popular eatery anywhere in these parts by a vast margin. To say it is "liked" is a humongous understatement. Probably 80% of the people I know patronize it, and their feelings on it range from a deep love to an outright obsession. There is no one who could "take it or leave it". Unconditional love is the lowest there is.

It is seriously insane. When my town floods, which is does severely every few years, Facebook is abuzz. There's usually one updated post for where you can find water, 6 or 7 of people recruiting or offering to help pump out basements, and 30+ people wondering if and when Timmy Ho's is open, and who is making the 40 minute round trips to the next town over to bring back palates of Timmy Ho's. No lie. It's effing creepy.
January 25th, 2014 at 6:33:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
When they made their donuts in house, it made a lot more sense. But still, it's an institution here as well. Cheap coffee and cheap eats, that in some cases is pretty decent 'hearty' food. I think that's it. The coffee with all the bad stuff in is great road fuel.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 26th, 2014 at 8:46:32 AM permalink
Face
Well, it was snowing like a mad man, so I went out and got some driving footage. It was really coming down so it's sort of hard to see, but I think you'll get the point.

I purchased a head mounting strap so there's no longer the issue of being "too high". However, I think once race season begins I'll wind up mounting it to the roll cage. I think head mounted is a little too wayward and jiggly, and racing will be even worse as I constantly look around to check mirrors to see where everyone is.

I'm not sure if the slides are communicated well. Since I obviously look where I'm going, it mostly just looks like I'm going straight. I think my hands are mostly what communicates, as they're constantly sawing at the wheel. At least it backs up my point that as long as you can see, snow is no reason to go 20 freaking mph. Most of this was done at 45, except for a brief downhill stint that I got up to 60. Don't be fooled by the speedo, it only read 80 because the rears are spinning =p

There was also a few times (once when I caught a van and once at the very end of the vid) where I locked up everything with the brakes and flailed at the wheel. That was just a demonstration of what I meant in my Winter Driving thread. As you can see, wheel inputs have no reaction whatsoever when all 100% of the traction is used in braking. Anyways... here it is (remember to go HD)

January 26th, 2014 at 10:21:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Well, if I go just up the road to the top of the hill, I can see Canada. To us, it's more like just another town than an entirely different country.

As I understand it, most of the motivation for the British North America Act of 1867 came from the United Kingdom. Britain's parliament felt that the newly reunified USA would eventually expand into the entire Northern America as long as they were confronted with British colonies. But the USA would respect the boundaries of an independent country.

The 1844 Democratic presidential candidate James K. Polk ran on a platform of taking control over the entire Oregon Territory and used the famous campaign slogan, "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" (after the line of latitude serving as the northern boundary of Oregon at 54°40'). Polk's plan was to claim and go to war over the entire territory for the United States.

Given the US territorial expansion of the 1890's (into Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Phillipines), the British parliament was probably not wrong.
January 26th, 2014 at 11:37:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Face, I admire your courage to go driving in that. When I lived in Baltimore, I just stayed off the roads until they were nice and plowed.

Why aren't you using chains? On the road to Mount Charleston they "recommend" chains if there is the least bit of snow on the road, and require them for less than half of what I see in your video.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber