The GoPro Thread

February 1st, 2014 at 4:27:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Panoramic ball camera
This camera|ball seems ridiculously expensive at $500, unless you are pinned down by gunfire and you want a safe way to get a Panoramic view of the enemy position. Then it seems like a bargain price.

February 9th, 2014 at 4:03:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Well, I've been "resting" my bum wheel. I actually took 2 whole days off and never left the couch. And while it did wonders for the "peeling a scab off your bone" feeling, it made the tightness even worse. So, with only a few days before my hockey tourney in Michigan, I had to work it out. Had to break up all that scar tissue.

What better way than boarding? =)

Injury wise, it actually went perfect. About the only difficulty was the boot pushing on it as it's still tender to the touch. Other than that I was good to go, and now all the strains of working muscles long forgotten has straightened out the hitch in my giddyup. I find it's hard to limp when both sides hurt, so... I guess I'm better =)

I took Ash who said she skis, but left out that she doesn't do so well nor has she gone in years. So after about an hour on the bunny hill consisting of just 2 runs, I left her to practice while I went to get warmed up. Oddly, though I haven't been in the last 6 or 7 years, it was like riding a bike. Hopped right on the first trail no problem. Apologies for the quality, these aren't as smooth or easy to view as Wiz's. And the camera was a little loose on this first video and ended up pointing too far down, but I fixed that for the rest =p (remember to go HD)

I was gone for maybe 90 minutes, working my way across the resort then back again to meet up with Ash. Unbelievably, by the time I got back she went from "can barely stand and falls 6 times each run" to just shooting right down no problem. She's the one in all black taking off as soon as the vid starts.

Seeing this, I made sure she could do it fast and in control and then decreed we should hit the big hills. The first time down Mardi Gras, the longest hill there, she only fell 2 or 3 times. The second time was about the same. At this time the temp fell below 0*F so we went in for hot cocoa. Upon our return, she had gotten a little too tight and lazy, falling about 6 more times before she went down awkward and blew out her hamstring. So now, she's hobbling around the house, too, and between the two of us we look like some extras from AMC's "The Walking Dead".

With her day done, I went back for some last few bombing runs, just pointing straight down the hill and tucking to go as fast as possible. The first time actually went pretty well, and at about the time I swung back to ride next to the lift, I was really hauling the mail. My eyes were tearing and freezing, making it hard to blink, which made them tear and freeze more, and by the time I reached the bottom I was mostly flying blind. But vision problems aside, it felt good to go fast again =)

Immediately following that run, I went and did it again, trying to push the limit and go even faster. But I've been out of the game too long and my thighs couldn't take squatting for that long. Almost at the bottom I leaned onto my thigh to squat and it just gave out, almost making me take a 40mph digger. But I managed to get my hands out and thankfully stayed on my feet.

Man, these cameras are cool. I can't wait to take them diving! =D
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 14th, 2014 at 8:41:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
This is extremely clever hack to make a steadicam. You can see the advantages of the steadicam in the first minute or so.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2014 at 1:37:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
GoPro advertisement
February 20th, 2014 at 9:17:10 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Paco,

Thanks for that. For some reason, it was exactly what I needed to see this morning.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 25th, 2014 at 5:30:01 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
It has been a while but I'm in the process of putting up videos to the 34-mile River Mountain Loop Trail. It is so long I have to break it into pieces.

Here is part one, which goes from marker 34.0 to 27.0.

Enjoy.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 5th, 2014 at 11:34:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
GoPro Camera stolen from street.

Lester Lechleitner, 28, was flying his quad last Friday night in Bradenton, Florida and he had a mishap. He told police that “he saw it start to fall from the sky and land on the street,”

After rushing to the crash scene Lechleitner immediately noticed that a GoPro camera that had been attached to the craft was missing! He told a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office deputy the he had seen a neighbour walking suspiciously away from the scene of incident.

Do any of the GoPro models feature a "beeper" function? Or a GPS transmission function?
March 5th, 2014 at 12:40:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Nope. You have a remote to start the camera wirelessly, but it would need something else to try to use it as an alarm.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 10th, 2014 at 2:34:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I was looking for a photo and came across this video I almost forgot I made. The story is that I was at a Bovada party and made a bet with this pretty blonde that I could recite the 50 states faster than her (if it weren't for such antics I wouldn't be able to talk to women at all). She may have finished faster but forgot three of them, as you'll see.

This was shot with a cheap camera in movie mode.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 10th, 2014 at 3:43:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Can you film a pretty girl reciting all 28 European Union States (at any speed).