The GoPro Thread

March 10th, 2014 at 3:49:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Can you film a pretty girl reciting all 28 European Union States (at any speed).

That will be difficult, but I'm up for the challenge!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 10th, 2014 at 9:36:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Try asking how many states she has been to and which was her most favorite; or ask were you born in Nevada. Almost no one in Vegas was born in Nevada, most of the sweet young things were born in Utah and raised Mormon with no gambling or card playing in the home at all. Once she replies Utah, you can ask her what the adjustment is li
March 15th, 2014 at 11:51:04 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Wiz, have you toyed with options other than video?

I tried doing a time lapse and thought I did everything right. But after I was finished, I opened the folder to see the session was saved as 3,900 individual jpeg files with no option to view as a slide or video.

Just wondering if you've messed with it and what I did wrong.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 15th, 2014 at 12:33:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You can drag or import individual shots into the stock Windows moviemaker and that will put them in a movie format.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 15th, 2014 at 12:37:36 PM permalink
Face
A movie format one could save? Cuz I'd need a file to import into YouTube, not just the ability to watch here at home
March 15th, 2014 at 2:18:56 PM permalink
rxwine
They have a publish to Youtube format. I'm not really sure how fast you can get your shots to animate though. They have changed how moviemaker works since I last used it. Perhaps look up on youtube, "animate stills" or burst gopro.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2014 at 2:43:16 PM permalink
rxwine
So this is how you make a vacation video. (notice tricks like putting the camera in the fridge for getting a beer)

March 16th, 2014 at 4:03:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Face
Wiz, have you toyed with options other than video?

I tried doing a time lapse and thought I did everything right. But after I was finished, I opened the folder to see the session was saved as 3,900 individual jpeg files with no option to view as a slide or video.

No. Just movies. I should get more experience with using it as a camera.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 17th, 2014 at 6:12:22 AM permalink
Face
Quote: rxwine
So this is how you make a vacation video.

Show offs =p

Quote: Wizard
No. Just movies. I should get more experience with using it as a camera.

I think you will find it wanting.

I haven't used it in depth. Perhaps there are options I can enable to get more out of it, so to speak. But I've noticed a few flaws that prevent it from being a "go-to" camera.

1 - No viewer screen. Yeah, you can buy one for ~$100, but you can't then put the protective case on it. Without it, you basically have to point and hope. The sort of "widescreen effect" usually means you get your subject in the pic, but...

2 - It's sort of fish eyed. Yeah, you get a "wider" picture, but it loses something in translation.

3 - You can't zoom, or adjust lighting, or make any adjustments at all. Which, since you have no viewer screen, means you don't know if the pic is good until you get home.

The plusses are that it's smaller than any other camera I know, the battery lasts whether you're in 90*F and sun all day or you're out in -10*F all day, and with the case, you can take it anywhere from the desert to the swamp to the deep sea. But other than in places a normal camera can't go because of impact worries (ATVing) or water worries (diving/snorkeling), I prefer the camera on my phone in both functionality and quality.

When I get home, I'll post some pics from my phone and from my GoPro to compare.
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:55:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Face
I haven't used it in depth. Perhaps there are options I can enable to get more out of it, so to speak. But I've noticed a few flaws that prevent it from being a "go-to" camera.

1 - No viewer screen. Yeah, you can buy one for ~$100, but you can't then put the protective case on it. Without it, you basically have to point and hope. The sort of "widescreen effect" usually means you get your subject in the pic, but...

When you buy the LCD touch bacpac the larger backdoors (waterproof, and open) are included. It's a lot easier to work the menu with lcd on the back.

Quote:
2 - It's sort of fish eyed. Yeah, you get a "wider" picture, but it loses something in translation.

In the GoPro Studio (I'm still learning this) you can turn off the fish eye. All the forest shots, the treetops lean inwards otherwise.

Quote:
3 - You can't zoom, or adjust lighting, or make any adjustments at all. Which, since you have no viewer screen, means you don't know if the pic is good until you get home.

Yup, can't zoom. You can turn on or off the low light. And there is a feature for shooting from dark places into light. Of course, most of this is much easier with the lcd bacpac.

When or if I discover useful tips I will post them. Unless a super experienced user shows up who can answer all our questions.