The GoPro Thread

March 23rd, 2014 at 8:28:15 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
When you buy the LCD touch bacpac the larger backdoors (waterproof, and open) are included. It's a lot easier to work the menu with lcd on the back.

In the GoPro Studio (I'm still learning this) you can turn off the fish eye. All the forest shots, the treetops lean inwards otherwise.

Yup, can't zoom. You can turn on or off the low light. And there is a feature for shooting from dark places into light. Of course, most of this is much easier with the lcd bacpac.

When or if I discover useful tips I will post them. Unless a super experienced user shows up who can answer all our questions.

Good info, rxwine. Thanks!

But if you have one, which I must assume, why no vids in thread?

Good to know some of the stuff you posted, especially the fisheye and low light. I'm not looking to get crazy and make vids like that vacation vid you posted, so no need to get super in depth. I just needed some common use advice, and you supplied it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 24th, 2014 at 5:27:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I understand there are now external robotic like arms that can manipulate the GoPro camera's buttons remotely.
April 18th, 2014 at 4:51:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
I understand there are now external robotic like arms that can manipulate the GoPro camera's buttons remotely.

They also have optional remote controls.

In other GoPro news, I just posted a new video and have more to come from my trip to the Havasupi section of the Grand Canyon.

I posted about this video at WoV in this thread. I welcome comments on the making of the video here but please put comments on the experiment itself over at WoV.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 19th, 2014 at 6:40:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Here is my next video from my trip to the Havasupai section of the Grand Canyon. This video is of a cave right by our campsite.

April 23rd, 2014 at 11:16:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
My next Havasupai video. Sorry to see that I haven't engendered any comments so far.

April 23rd, 2014 at 12:36:52 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Very cool. I tell ya, if you lose the kids, you might be able to impress the ladies with this. My first thought was it looked like some hardcore free climbing. Then I saw the ten year old already up there XD

Any idea how those caves formed? That rock looks like the type that could be easily dissolved by water over time, but their location makes it hard for me to imagine there being water present. Maybe it's a time thing, the same issue I had with figuring out The Baths in my own thread. But if you know, I'd hear it.

Really bummed I'm missing out on the Spring Fling hike. Everyone comes to Vegas for the glitz and glamor, but this is right up my alley and what I'd much rather be doing. I suppose given your age, I still have several years of opportunity before me. Someday...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 23rd, 2014 at 1:18:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
Any idea how those caves formed? That rock looks like the type that could be easily dissolved by water over time, but their location makes it hard for me to imagine there being water present. Maybe it's a time thing, the same issue I had with figuring out The Baths in my own thread. But if you know, I'd hear it.

I'm not sure about the caves. It wouldn't surprise me if the one down to Mooney Falls was at least partially artificial to establish a route down there. The falls care called Mooney Falls, because an early explorer named Mooney died trying to get up or down.

The campground caves may have also been enhanced as an evacuation area if the campground got flooded. Or maybe for mining. The video doesn't show it, but there was a lot of quartz in the side. You could tell because the light from the flashlights bounced off of it. The GoPro wasn't sensitive enough to capture that. That cave had a nice flat bottom, which I'm sure somebody helped with.
May 24th, 2014 at 10:48:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Russian kids climb Shanghai Tower with a Go Pro. The Tower is 2073' and 126 stories and will be completed next year when it will be only the second building to break 2000' (Burj Khalifi is 2717 ').
May 30th, 2014 at 8:01:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Please check out my video of the High Roller ferris wheel. It is terribly boring, just to warn you.

May 30th, 2014 at 8:11:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Please check out my video of the High Roller ferris wheel. It is terribly boring, just to warn you.

It says the video is private.