2 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

January 17th, 2014 at 7:22:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
It is possible that video screens will become so lightweight, that we will be able to put them in a briefcase, or a backpack. They could be easily powered by batteries.

Sort of like a tablet... Oh, wait ;)

Quote:
High resolution is about large screens. Although that will never completely vanish, it may be that watching video will be like reading a newspaper today. You will be able to look at low power flexible screens from any chair in the house without any concern about power plugs or cable video feeds. A normal house will not have dedicated chairs or rooms for TV viewing.

One thing I mislike about tablets is that the screens are not big enough. Sure, holding them close mitigates this defficiency a bit, but not entirely. Ditto with personal TV screens, which more likley will be incorporated into tablets IMO.

THe living room TV is a holdover from when TVs were expensive and a household could only afford one. Now, and for decades really, TVs have been cheap enough that a middle-class household can have 4-6 TVs. So most people have one in their bedroom. if there is one in the living room it is for social occasions, or because that's the big one, ro the one with Netflix, etc.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 18th, 2014 at 12:16:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Sort of like a tablet... Oh, wait ;)

OLED technology may make video on ultra thin materials.

January 18th, 2014 at 5:26:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
OLED technology may make video on ultra thin materials.

They'll be in magazine ads and greeting cards, anyplace
you can sell something. Reminds me of Minority Report,
where everywhere you go there's a screen that knows
your name and is advertising. On walls, windows, floors,
in elevators, it will be insidious. Open a magazine and
an ad will know your name and show you something
specifically for you. The mags will be all electronic
and reloadable of course.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2014 at 8:05:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin

I am picturing the day when video displays are like the newspapers in Harry Potter.
January 18th, 2014 at 8:23:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I am picturing the day when video displays are like the newspapers in Harry Potter.

Papers are on the way out, in 10 years they'll be gone. People are
leaving them in droves, I haven't had a paper to my house in 6
years and don't miss it. Same for magazines. People don't have
time to sit and leaf thru them anymore, advertising is changing
on almost a daily basis.

Remember when Minority Report came out in 2002 and we
were fascinated when Tom Cruise moves the pics and text
on the screens by touching the screens? That's common
place now on every smartphone and tablet and some laptops.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2014 at 8:36:43 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I kinda like reading the paper. It forces you to uni-task. You can't really do anything but read the paper when you read the paper.

The TV stuff? Insane. I mean, it looks really good, but just why?

I know a few people (I do not think highly of these people) who always have to have the latest and greatest, and I guarantee they'll be all over this. Just as they were all over tablets when they were new, just as they were all over 80"+ flat screens when they were new, just like they're all over every other thing they think will fill that hole inside themselves. But most normal people? Nah. Can't see them going for this.

It's like Nareed said. The flat screen switch was a huge leap. A relatively big screen with super quality picture (compared to projection) in an incredibly smaller package. It was a complete and all encompassing upgrade in every sense of the word, and it was a boom.

This? This is just a "more better picture", when the current picture is already pretty damn good. Flop.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 18th, 2014 at 9:24:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
It's like Nareed said. The flat screen switch was a huge leap. A relatively big screen with super quality picture (compared to projection) in an incredibly smaller package. It was a complete and all encompassing upgrade in every sense of the word, and it was a boom.

This? This is just a "more better picture", when the current picture is already pretty damn good. Flop.

Outdoor tv's were a big leap as well. With massive price tags well over $1000. I don't know how many were sold.

Of course there is the $655,000 TV designed by Porsche studio. I think you probably have to spend at least a month in purgatory if you buy one of these.

I suppose one of the most useful areas for OLED screen use will be the military.
January 18th, 2014 at 9:29:10 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
"Outdoor TVs"? WTF?

In the summer, when it's hot, we'd take my boob tube (or flat screen, more recently, as they're nice and light) and hook it up on the porch so we could have some fresh air playing Madden on the Xbox.

You're saying there's a special TV for just such a thing? And I would pay >$0 because...my way somehow is lesser?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 19th, 2014 at 2:16:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
"Outdoor TVs"? WTF?

You're saying there's a special TV for just such a thing? And I would pay >$0 because...my way somehow is lesser?

Outdoor TV's are waterproof and designed to withstand glare.
SunBrite TV cost $1.5K to $7.5K.

Warnings by Sunbrite about putting an indoor TV outdoors
  • The risk of shock and electrocution.
  • The indoor TV's warranty is automatically null and void. See leading indoor TV manufacturers' instructions & advice.
  • If your indoor TV sparks a fire, your homeowner's insurance policy, most likely, will not cover your costs of damage.
  • That high glossy panel will not be readable outdoors.
  • Constant maintenance. Installing and un-installing depending on weather & seasons.
January 19th, 2014 at 5:32:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

"More better picture" and "more bigger screen" :)

Seriously, the latter is a big draw. More so since people won't even understand definition anyway. I mean, consider two screens with the same definition, but one is 40" and the other 50" That means the bigger one will have bigger pixels and should be looked at from farther away. The average person doesn't know this (and in truth it's not easy to notice), so they'll get the bigger screen once it's affordable even f it confers not a single extra benefit.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »