1 vote (33.33%)
2 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

April 24th, 2014 at 4:22:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
That is an excellent price for a Samsung TV. My brother lives in the USA, and he may wait until later this year. He paid off his mortgage and cars a few months ago, so he wants to splurge. He said he doesn't think he can get bigger than a 55" TV and a soundbar above his fireplace. Although he has NETFLIX he is one of the last hold outs for physical media, and has bought a thousand blu-ray 1080p DVDs.
April 24th, 2014 at 5:14:05 PM permalink
Tomspur
Threads: 4
Quote: Pacomartin
That is an excellent price for a Samsung TV. My brother lives in the USA, and he may wait until later this year. He paid off his mortgage and cars a few months ago, so he wants to splurge. He said he doesn't think he can get bigger than a 55" TV and a soundbar above his fireplace. Although he has NETFLIX he is one of the last hold outs for physical media, and has bought a thousand blu-ray 1080p DVDs.

I certainly can see the allure of keeping DVD's around. There are many movies that are not available on Netflix or Hulu + so I still prefer to buy them as well. My collection is nowhere near as big as his but I'm only starting out now.

TBH I'm not crazy aout Netflix, I only like their original series like HOC and then obviously them picking up Arrested Development. I can do without the movies.

Black Friday normally has smoking deals, even cyber Monday. In fact that is where I got the TV from. Online and my wife went and picked it up.

If he is in no rush I would suggest he waits until November and takes advantage but I know how I am.....when the bug bites :)
October 4th, 2016 at 11:44:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Pacomartin
The first UHDTV's premiered almost exactly one year ago. It was an 84" model by Sony that sold for$35,000 . Now a year later that same model. That model, the Sony XBR-84X900 84" 3D LED TV with 4K Resolution now sells for $24,998

TCL was the first to sell a UHDTV for $1,000 but now Vizio has followed with their model under $1K.

Who is going to take the plunge with a 4K TV?

It's now been 3 years 9 months since 4K television has been on the market and content is still not widely availble.
This 4K TCL television is is $400 (43") $500 (50") and $600 (55") and comes complete with built in Roku so you can watch 4K content.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6XHQR8/ref=twister_B01CFO0V0C?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Gizmodo gives this relatively inexpensive UHD TV a very positive review
http://gizmodo.com/this-cheap-4k-tv-is-a-cordcutters-dream-1780433154

While you are future proofing for the day when 4K become routinely available you might want to read this statement in the review:
I've been deeply impressed with the UP130 thus far. Upscaled content can have a habit of looking exceptionally grainy when viewed on a 4K set, and action sequences can get wonky, with parts of the action disappearing. It's never enough to ruin a movie, and you usually have to be hunting to see it happen. It's deeply irritating when you've spent thousands on a 4K TV, however.

Video CD (abbreviated as VCD, and also known as Compact Disc digital video) is a home video format created in 1993 and the first format for distributing films on standard 120 mm (4.7 in) optical discs. The format was widely adopted in Southeast Asia instead of VHS and Betamax systems.

Quote: Tomspur
Black Friday normally has smoking deals, even cyber Monday. In fact that is where I got the TV from.

I discovered last Black Friday that you can go to Walmart at 3:00 AM . They tell you that even though the Walmart is open all night that they don't price things at special rate until 6AM, but it isn't true. They just don't want people coming all night long while they are getting ready. I picked up a 40" television for half it's normal retail price last year, and I didn't have to climb over a mountain of people to do it.
October 5th, 2016 at 9:57:18 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I happened to be in a Sony store shortly after 4k rolled out. The sales person put up HD and UHD content on two side by side sets in order to show off the difference.

I didn't see a big difference. Maybe the UHD tv did a good job of upscaling the HD content (could be true) or my eyes are just bad (definitely true)? In any case, it didn't make sense to me to spend "pretty good new car" money on a large TV.

The difference between 480i and 1080p was stunning. 1080i (available over the air) to 4k (only available via high speed connections)...not so much to justify the cost. Besides... 11k is coming...
November 24th, 2016 at 2:07:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Best Buy has an excellent Doorbuster for Black Friday. This 49" TV is Ultra High Definition and has Chromecast built in so that you can cast your Netflix from your phone.

Surprisingly
the 43" version is $279 (regularly $400),
the 49" version is $199 (regularly $450), <==== doorbuster
the 55" version is $450 (regularly $550),
the 65" version is $600 (regularly $900).

Inexplicably the door buster price only applies to the 49" model.
Page 8 of 8« First<5678