NFL Prop Bet Calculator

Page 2 of 2<12
January 28th, 2014 at 12:38:44 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Thanks for sharing the prop bet calculator, it's awesome!
Quote: Wizard
I'm all in favor of constructive criticism, but sometimes there is a fine line between that and insults.

While I fully support you and understand all of the hard work and time that went into this, I have to honestly say that the comments on that thread did not cross the line from "constructive criticism" into "insult" territory, in my opinion. The main offender basically said that he disagreed with your methodology on using past data (point spread and total, to be specific) to predict future results, with respect to the safety bet specifically.

Now, it's true he didn't offer any other specific methodology, other than throwing out a bunch of things you could measure and correlate (without actually doing any of that work). He simply stated his opinion that he wouldn't make the bet either way based on lack of knowledge, and then closed the post with "If I had no choice but to bet it, I'd bet No just because of the math the wizard has outlined." (full post here.) How is that an insult? I guess it may not be "constructive" criticism.

Again, fully appreciate the amount of work that went into this, and I do agree with your math (in fact have booked a couple of no safety bets). Just adding my thoughts on the criticism.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
January 28th, 2014 at 12:56:09 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AcesAndEights
Again, fully appreciate the amount of work that went into this, and I do agree with your math (in fact have booked a couple of no safety bets). Just adding my thoughts on the criticism.

Same. I mean, I don't get it. AT ALL. I don't know sports betting and I sure as hell don't know anything about math, but I can appreciate the work that goes into something like this.

I'm an active and passionate gamer in the PC world, and many folks do stuff very similar to what you did. There'll be some sort of game, and they'll engineer some sort of add on or program to make the user's experience better. Perhaps it's a mod to add or subtract items from the games. Often times, especially in the racing world, it'll be an entire telemetry and analysis program to help those less intelligent to reap the rewards those with the knowhow can manage. In the end, it benefits the entire community, and is often done so with little to no compensation other than a random uttering of "thanks".

I can see a parallel. You created something of much value and used many man hours to assist those around you. To not have that appreciated, or even worse, ridiculed, could hurt. I can only hope you can take pride in what you have created enough so that the barbs bounce off harmlessly.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 29th, 2014 at 10:28:33 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
Same. I mean, I don't get it. AT ALL. I don't know sports betting and I sure as hell don't know anything about math, but I can appreciate the work that goes into something like this.

I'm an active and passionate gamer in the PC world, and many folks do stuff very similar to what you did. There'll be some sort of game, and they'll engineer some sort of add on or program to make the user's experience better. Perhaps it's a mod to add or subtract items from the games. Often times, especially in the racing world, it'll be an entire telemetry and analysis program to help those less intelligent to reap the rewards those with the knowhow can manage. In the end, it benefits the entire community, and is often done so with little to no compensation other than a random uttering of "thanks".

I can see a parallel. You created something of much value and used many man hours to assist those around you. To not have that appreciated, or even worse, ridiculed, could hurt. I can only hope you can take pride in what you have created enough so that the barbs bounce off harmlessly.

Face,

I agree with everything you said above except "the barbs bounce off harmlessly". I resemble that remark...and sometimes wish my name was not synonymous with sharp pointy criticism. :)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 2 of 2<12