The name quenelle comes from an elongated fish meatballs dish, which looks like a suppository

February 3rd, 2014 at 11:56:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I learned something new today.

A French comedian , Dieudonné M'bala M'bala, created and popularized this gesture in 2005. From the context it can be translated as "up yours". The t-shirts make it obviously clear what you are doing, and are scaled so that you can modify the intensity of your gesture.

Since 2002, Dieudonné has attracted attention by making increasingly polemical statements. In an interview for the magazine Lyon Capitale in January 2002, he described "the Jews" as "a sect, a fraud, which is the worst of all, because it was the first" and said he preferred "the charisma of bin Laden to that of Bush".

Some of his shows were recently cancelled in France, and Britain just barred him from entering the country.

The quenelle is not topic specific, and was used for the first time in a routine about French secularism. But the anti-semitic stance of the comedian and his creation of the gesture have merged the two concepts over the years.

Could you create a brand new offensive gesture?
February 17th, 2014 at 2:32:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin

Could you create a brand new offensive gesture?

Are you asking if I am capable of doing so, or if I am capable of creating one that becomes somewhat popularized? If the latter, then I have no idea, because I have not created very many original offensive gestures. If the question is the former, then I did create one when I was in High School that consisted of:

grabbing my crotch with my left hand and sticking my right index finger in my mouth, the gesture translated to, "May you choke on my balls!"
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 17th, 2014 at 4:19:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Mission146
Are you asking if I am capable of doing so, or if I am capable of creating one that becomes somewhat popularized?

You need to work that into your stand-up act, and make t-shirts.
February 17th, 2014 at 2:37:15 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I find my behavior as a child inappropriate and reprehensible.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 17th, 2014 at 3:08:28 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: Mission146
I find my behavior as a child inappropriate and reprehensible.
You should consider suspending your childhood self for inappropriate gesturing.
February 17th, 2014 at 3:26:43 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I've already permanently nuked my younger self.