More workout difficulties

Page 1 of 131234>Last »
February 4th, 2014 at 8:45:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
By 2012 I settled on a good wrokout routine. I managed to defeat the boredom inherent in excercise and, with the same stone (audio books and podcasts), distract my mind from the action at hand. See, I'd leave work at 6 pm when traffic is light. I could get home, most days, at 6:25-6:40, then go almost straight to the gym downstairs. This left me enough time for all other things I need or want to do before bed time.

But by late that year the office manager decided our department culd not leave before 7 pm because, in his words, we don't work Saturdays. Now, it may seem that a difference of an hour isn't much. Well, it is. For one thing that's one mroe hour of work. For a second, thing, traffic gets really bad around that time. If I leave work at 7, most times I'll arrive home at 8 pm. For some reason I find sitting in traffic physically and emotionally draining in the evenings (it's not so bad at other times). So Ihaven't been working out much the past year...

So after much mulling things over and procrastinating about it, I decided there was nothing to do but wake up earlier and try to work out in the morning. I chose this last weekend because Monday was a holiday and I ahd the day off. Well, On Saturday I forgot, but managed a session late in the afternoon. Sunday I just couldn't get up early enough. Monday I actually did. I got up at 5:45, spent about 30 minutes drinking coffee and playing with the tablet, and then I did my session. all very well. In fact, it's better as I get that dammned task out fo the way early.

So I was all set for today, Tuesday, but I found myself unable to sleep. I tossed and turned and finally must ahve fallen asleep. When the alarm soudned, I nearly threw the phone against the wall (understandable reaction to a wake-up alarm, yes?) So I'll try again tomorrow.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2014 at 2:57:55 PM permalink
Nareed
0 for 2 <grumble, grumble>

I left work around 9:30. By the time I got home (light traffic), made dinner, ate dinner, washed up after dinner, and took some time to unwind (reading, TV and the web) it was almost past 12 am. So again when the alarm went off the cell phone was in mortal danger.

I hope I'll swing it tomorrow, but I'm not holding my hopes up.

Damn.
February 6th, 2014 at 1:19:43 PM permalink
Nareed
0 for 3

Not the kind of perfect record I imagined...

I think the job schedule is a lot more insidious than I thought. I really need to take a vacation soon. April doesn't seem anywhere near soon enough.
February 7th, 2014 at 6:49:54 AM permalink
Nareed
0 for 4.

But I came close this time (yeah, right). While I snoozed the heck out of the alarm, I was just 20 minutes too late waking up. That's better than 80 minutes too late as has been the case all the rest of the week. Hopefully next time I'll be able to manage.
February 7th, 2014 at 10:44:51 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
This is not an attack. I repeat, this is not an attack ;)

Buuuut...

Discipline.

Working out without discipline is like trying to play Khachaturian's "Sabre Dance" without first learning basic chords. It's running before you can walk. That's not to say you have NO discipline. But discipline is not readily transferable. It's hard to use the discipline you have in, say, your apparent excellent eating habits, and transfer them to something unrelated, like physical exertion.

I'd start here. A proper workout regimen means not only doing it on days you don't want to, but especially doing it on days you don't want to. It is entirely the difference between those who are fit, and those who are frumpy.

Good luck, and look on the bright side - you haven't abandoned the thought yet! =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 7th, 2014 at 11:25:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
This is not an attack. I repeat, this is not an attack ;)

Said everyone who intends an attack. ;)

Quote:
Discipline.

Laziness :) It's soooooooooooo pleasant!

Quote:
That's not to say you have NO discipline.

I'm sure you know the old saw about will power, yes? Well...

Quote:
I'd start here. A proper workout regimen means not only doing it on days you don't want to, but especially doing it on days you don't want to.

What about when I really don't want to?

Really, thus far the problem isn't going down to work out, but waking up with enough time to do so. Take today. Considering the time it takes to shower, dress (or what passes for it as things are now), make and eat breakfast(*), I'd have had six minutes to work out. I decided I may as well not bother.

One may argue I need to wake up whether I feel like it or not. That's ture.

Quote:
Good luck, and look on the bright side - you haven't abandoned the thought yet! =)

Thanks.

But as Larry Niven said "Reading a dozen diet books won't make you lose weight." Strangely enough, it seems as though plannign the workout isn't getting me fit, either ;)

(*) Two things:

1 I refuse to say that nuking oatmeal in the microwave even approaches cooking
2 If I were to skip breakfast I only gain another ten minutes. A fifteen minute workout is not bad and better than nothing, but today I just dind't think of it.
February 8th, 2014 at 6:24:47 PM permalink
Nareed
1 for 5.

Let me repeat that: 1 (ONE) for 5 ;)

The irony is that today my brain played her regular weekend game called "Let's wake up ninety minutes earlier than usual. It's a day off and we don't want to waste it sleeping." So I might have worked out right at dawn. I didn't for two reasons:

1) I am NOT a morning person (really)
2) I don't work out before electrolysis. Ever. I've done it a few times, and it always makes for a more painful session.

But I did make my way down to the gym after the after-lunch nap (remember in Mexico lunch, or rather the mid-day meal, is the big one with three courses and desert. A nap afterwards is necessary.

I did well enough. A full thirty minutes, plus five minutes cool-down.
February 9th, 2014 at 6:08:12 PM permalink
Nareed
2 for 6.

My brain decided to behave herself for once. Alas, I had to go to the office to straighten out someone else's mess, so I had to put the workout til early evening (late afternoon? I don't like winter schedules).

We'll see if anything happens tomorrow.
February 10th, 2014 at 7:09:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Turns out tomorrow was today, which is Monday, and that I didn't get enough rest over the weekend (cooking after 9 pm is seriously wrong). So I dind't even try. But I'm bound and determined to do something tomorrow (yeah, tight).

If not, I'll turn to plan B, which would mean 60+ minute workouts Saturday adn Sunday plus whatever time mid-week and holidays happens to happen to come along. I much rather do 30 min. workouts five-six times a week, though.
February 11th, 2014 at 5:06:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Nailed it :)

details to follow
Page 1 of 131234>Last »