More workout difficulties

Page 2 of 13<12345>Last »
February 11th, 2014 at 6:54:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I got up around 4ish am to use the bathroom. That's not terribly unusual, and commonly I'd just get back to sleep. This time for some reason I just couldn't. By 4:55 I simply gave up. So I made coffee, put on the TV and turned on the PC. I whiled the time and ahd two cups of coffee, then I went down to the gym. I managed the full 35 minutes, no problems (except the guy running on the treadmill had the TV on playing music videos at full blast).

We'll see if I can repeat it tomorrow.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 12th, 2014 at 6:44:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Oops! I did it again :)

This time on purpose, which ought to count mroe (but maybe doesn't). The alarm went off at 5:10, was snoozed to within an inch of its life, then the second alarm went off at 5:15. Of coruse it was also snoozed. But the first alarm counterattacked by 5:20 and I was up.

I learned from my previous misadventure (huh?) that I do better if I have some coffee first (waiting for someone to tell me what this will kill me yet). So I took my time, ahd 1.5 cups, more or less, and found out "Pawn Stars" reruns are on at that time. So down to the Gym by 6:05 or so, showered, dressed and fed by 7:40 and out to face the cruel, hostile, wonderful world.

The best thing is I get to advance with the Audible queue. I should be done with the Foundations of Western Civilization before too long. And then I think I'll take a break and listen to a science book, before retaking Foundations of Western Civ ][.
February 12th, 2014 at 7:57:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Tomorrow's out. O-U-T. Why? Because it looks we won't leave the office until very early tomorrow morning. I may get off a bit earlier, but not early enough.

So better luck for Friday.
February 14th, 2014 at 6:42:02 AM permalink
Nareed
As predicted Thursday was a wash. I went to bed around 2:30. It was all I could do to wake up in time to make it to the office.

But today, Friday, things went swimingly. Better still, the gym was empty when I got down there. I don't mind sharing with the neighbors, after all we all pay for it, but I preffer the quiet and the privacy.

Next I think I'll give the pool a shot after winter goes away. Does anyone know of a water-proof MP3 player that can handle Audible?
February 15th, 2014 at 6:03:24 AM permalink
Nareed
It's getting to be routine. But I wonder what the hell is happening to me. I'm not a morning person, yet I'm up at 5 am nearly everyday. I'm easy-going and laid-back, yet I exercise in the mornings and spend 10 hours a day (on a good day) at work. Where did I go wrong?
February 15th, 2014 at 11:46:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Maybe you can figure out some other way? I actually have a Lifespan treadmill desk. But I use it at home, not work,, sometimes when I'm posting here and the other board.

However it's not really considered a replacement for working out, just sitting. So, maybe it's not what you really want.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 15th, 2014 at 1:54:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Maybe you can figure out some other way?

I was only half-joking. I'm not a morning person. I can get up early, yes, and work out, get showered and make breakfast, but my productivity in the morning is on the lower end of low. Getting up earlier doesn't help.

Long, long hours don't help, either. But there's no way around it. Still, when work isn't awful busy I might get away with arriving a while later. There's no way in hell I'll get to leave work earlier.
February 16th, 2014 at 9:55:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
A proper workout regimen means not only doing it on days you don't want to, but especially doing it on days you don't want to. It is entirely the difference between those who are fit, and those who are frumpy.

I'm kind of getting it now... See, I'd thought "let's work out five days a week and take two mornings off. That would mean Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, with Mondays and Fridays off. But given my job there's no guarantee that I can keep to any schedule, including on Weekends.

So while thinking about next week, I decided a workout on Monday is a must precisely because I don't know how the rest of the weeks will shape up.

Only now I'm running head-on into my schedule, too. I've been gradually increasing the difficulty and resistance levels. That's fine, but I thought I should also increase time gradually. Now, on most weekends that's not a problem, but on all weekdays that's not an option. Considering all normal variables (ie workout, shower, getting ready, breakfast and traffic), I can't do better than 40 minutes tops. And this is when I don't have to deliver samples, go on business trips, or some other oddities I've encountered now and then.

What I really need is for Science to develop a farmaceutical alternative for working out. It can't come soon enough ;)
February 17th, 2014 at 7:20:22 AM permalink
Nareed
I did Monday (but I still hate Mondays, so it's ok).

I won't keep posting every day I manage to work out (stop cheering!), but I'll post some progress reports from time to time 8not that anyone cares, or should), and any regress reports as well (missing workouts not for reasons not under my control).
March 4th, 2014 at 7:02:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Ok, this is getting completely ridiculous. I'm getting used to waking up at 5 am, drinking some coffe, then working out for 30 minutes every day. You'd think I'd sleep late on weekends, but no. My internal clock goes off around 4:45, and try as I might I can't get back to sleep (then I nap in the afternoon).

It gets worse. I keep increasing the speed and inclination on the treadmill, and the resistance level on the elyptical and/or stationary bike. I'm even doing way less of the latter because I'm beginning to think that one cannot or should not work out while sitting. Then on weekends I do additional strength excercises for the abs, legs and arms. This initially pushed the workout to 40 minutes, but as I do more repetitions it's been getting longer.

Now, since I can't extend the time in the mornings (I have to leave for work on time), I'll wind up running on the treadmill within a month, I'm sure. I'm even feeling less hungry throughout the day.

What the hell is wrong with me??

The only good thing is I now go through audio books at a faster rate. In February I managed 11 hours more than in January. If I dind't play Mike Duncan's "Revolutions" podcast on mondays, that would go even higher.
Page 2 of 13<12345>Last »