More workout difficulties

Page 12 of 13« First<910111213>
February 23rd, 2015 at 7:04:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
As the Aussies say, "No worries." At least if one of your goals is health. No need to kill yourself exercising.

That's good, because I can't see how I'd manage even a consistent three times per week.

Though I don't think my workouts qualify as strenuous. Sunday I did 1 kilometer on the treadmill at about 12 minutes and then about ten minutes on the elliptical for 750 meters or so. I finished with 20 minutes of abdominal, thighs and back exercises

If that's strenuous, then I could limit it to three times per week, and do lighter stuff the rest of the week. I could easily take a 500-700 meter walk before lunch most days.

Oh, and this regimen is only temporary. after I'm at a weight I'm happy with and with reasonably toned muscles, I'll exercise only enough to maintain that.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 3rd, 2015 at 1:05:55 PM permalink
Nareed
I've been trying to recall my last workout Sunday. Something I did manifested itself late Monday by means of very, very sore shoulders (did I mention they're very sore?)

I know I did reverse push-ups (sort of) and some oblique exercises that involve lifting from the arm while twisting the torso. But I've done those before (ok, not quite as many, perhaps).

The hope for today is to leave work early enough to get a 15 minute session at home. Then book my yearly vacation.
March 9th, 2015 at 8:36:58 AM permalink
Nareed
I've come to see the weight/strength part as the real workout. So Sunday I tried only ten minutes on the treadmill, then 25 minutes with the rest. It worked so well that today I skipped the treadmill entirely.

Well, that last didn't work as well. The treadmill is an excellent warm-up, for one thing. For another, for some reason I was able to do more strength workout after the treadmill than without it. I'll just have to force myself awake earlier on weekdays. I should also add daily walk out on the street during work. I do this when I go to the bank, but I can't go to the bank every day.
March 11th, 2015 at 10:07:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Last night I left the office at 7:15. That's reasonably early. I had to make a stop at the supermarket, but that was quick. I counted on getting home at 8, stop and all. The I could go to bed at 10 and wake up early enough to work out.

Well.... traffic in the last 5 kilometers to my home was standing still. I arrived home at 9:30 pm. I still had to make dinner, check two work emails, send few work emails, and check my personal mail. Oh, but wasn't this patch Tuesday? Of course it was. The PC goes catatonic when Windows update runs. I managed to send the work email by 10:30 pm.
March 23rd, 2015 at 8:13:09 AM permalink
Nareed
I think I've given up...

Oh, I did the usual 15 minutes on the treadmill (I tried lower speeds and much higher inclines for a part of it) plus 30 minutes weight and such on Saturday and Sunday. I've even moved up to 8 lb. weights.

But weekdays are absolutely out.

Between work, traffic and my desire to sleep more than 6 hours a day, I just can't manage it. About the best I can do is walk to the bank most weekdays. Maybe use up half my lunch hour to walk around the block or elsewhere when I can't go to the bank. And that's it.
April 15th, 2015 at 3:58:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Pleasantly on Monday we got off early (easy?) and I managed a full workout.

I also stumbled on a move involving squats. Done a certain way (namely holding a seated position without any support), it's amazing how many muscles are engaged. About the whole thigh, the glutes and even the lower part of the abs. I'm going to add a few, then I'll add weights.

Contrary to my normal practice, I want to try some workouts in my hotel room while on vacation. I can do a few things without equipment, and some more with resistance bands. But I want to keep doing some dumbbell exercises. I could get a cheap pair in Vegas and not bring them back. I just don't recall offhand a conveniently located sporting goods store. We'll see.
July 20th, 2015 at 9:15:14 AM permalink
Nareed
After much thought and consideration, I've implemented a new workout plan.

Now I get up at 5:30, go down to the building's gym at between 6:15 and 6:30, workout for 20-25 minutes, shower, dress and out the door by 7:15-7:30. I get breakfast at the office now. I've managed it for today, so far. We'll see how it goes.

The big question, as usual, is how will work manage to screw this up for me. As it is, at most I'm getting 7:30 hours of sleep per day.
July 20th, 2015 at 12:02:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you just want to live longer. It's not too hard apparently. Most people do want other things like body shaping or muscle, etc.,

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-the-optimal-speed-for-exercise/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 21st, 2015 at 7:46:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
If you just want to live longer. It's not too hard apparently. Most people do want other things like body shaping or muscle, etc.,

For the most part I want to lose weight (again). Then I'll worry about some body shaping (hint: results through exercise are very limited in this respect).

I've done 3 days in a row, which is about three days longer than I expected.
July 22nd, 2015 at 11:50:11 AM permalink
Nareed
I skipped it today because I was way too tired from yesterday (86 stuck in traffic, two days in a row). But I walked 1.45 km to the bank (total). It's not the same, but it's something.

Next week I'll start working with weights, too. Week after next, I'll start looking into my diet.
Page 12 of 13« First<910111213>