More workout difficulties

January 5th, 2015 at 5:53:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: aceofspades
You can do it!!!

Which? Tone up? yes. Develop strength? No.

I mean, metaphysically I suppose it's true. I could learn to cook lobster, too. But realistically you're more likely to hit every lottery in the world, 700 royals in a row, 1,2000 consecutive 12s at craps, and be struck by lightning ten times in the middle of the Sahara during the dry season, before I would even touch a lobster.

Oh, BTW, ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 5th, 2015 at 5:59:03 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Nareed
Which? Tone up? yes. Develop strength? No.

I mean, metaphysically I suppose it's true. I could learn to cook lobster, too. But realistically you're more likely to hit every lottery in the world, 700 royals in a row, 1,2000 consecutive 12s at craps, and be struck by lightning ten times in the middle of the Sahara during the dry season, before I would even touch a lobster.

Oh, BTW, ;)

You can tone up - even doing bodyweight exercises (squat thrusts, jumping jacks, sit-ups, pushups)
January 6th, 2015 at 4:28:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Nareed
But I can't help wondering: how will my job spoil this for me now?

Like this:

We need you to be at the office at 6:30 to label the samples we're taking to a customer. We don't need you to deliver the samples (long story), but sticking seven labels on clearly different products is a task so complex only you can do it.
January 6th, 2015 at 4:23:33 PM permalink
Nareed
BTW, what does it mean that the backs of my arms got sore two days after the last workout?

On other things, I know repetition is key to tone muscles. The problem is there are four areas I want to work on. Given the abbreviated, and uncertain, times for workouts every day, should I rotate them daily, or do 5 minutes on two and rotate them that way?

Oh, damn, even I don't understand that. Suppose then the following:

Monday arms
Tuesday Legs
Wednesday Abs
Thursday back
Friday arms
etc

or

Monday arms and legs
Tuesday legs and abs
Wed abs and back
Thur back and arms
Friday arms and legs
etc

Saturday and Sunday I can work on all areas.
January 7th, 2015 at 6:30:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Today I managed an early rise, but I was too tired from the previous day. I decided to skip the gym and go straight to the strength training. I did the 10 minute arms workout, a 9+ minute back workout (some of those moves take a while to get right) and a few minutes' worth of abs. So about 20-25 minutes all told.

My heart rate did go up, I did work up a sweat, and I have some sore muscles, yet it feels as if I did just some "good exercise," like going down a flight of stairs for the fake virtuous feeling. I felt like I cheated myself not going down to the gym for at least a 5-10 minute warm up...
January 8th, 2015 at 7:48:26 AM permalink
Nareed
I skipped it today. But I've worked out 6 of the past 8 days, so I'm doing well.
January 9th, 2015 at 6:55:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Skipped it again today. I really needed my sleep :(

I had a really odd night. It happens form time to time. I go to bed, fall asleep for a few minutes, then wake up and can't go back to sleep for an hour or two. This tiny insomnia persists whether I stay in bed and try to force myself to sleep, or whether I turn on the TV or the tablet or read a book.

It really sucks.
January 13th, 2015 at 7:28:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Overall I'm doing well, but those late hours at the office simply are too much. Yesterday I arrived home at 9:30 pm. I suppose I could have just taken a light snack instead of diner and gone to bed. But I find it makes me feel more tired overall if all I do is work, eat and sleep. I need at least an hour or two per day to watch TV, surf the web, read email, read a book, etc. even at the cost of an hour's sleep and a workout the next day... <sigh>.

Given how this week looks like, I don't think I'll be able to do a full workout at all. So I'm prioritizing and making use of such time as I do have. This means mostly I'll dedicate to strength training to tone muscles during the week, with cardio work as I'm able, and relegate most cardio to the weekends. This is far from ideal, but for now it's all I can do.

Damn this job.
January 14th, 2015 at 6:58:43 AM permalink
Nareed
How does muscle build up?

I know it has to do with effort. Make your muscles exert more effort, and they'll adapt by growing bigger. But what constitutes effort?

I know it means resistance, make it harder for the muscles to move. You can get this by using weights or resistance bands, or simply by making them do more work than is usually required. The latter may be a matter of moves not usually made, like crunches or squats, but can it also be through repetition? This would mean making the muscles move for longer than they're used to.

What it comes down to is: am I better off increasing resistance or increasing repetition?

I've started doing arm exercises with 8 lb weights. At first I felt sore, but after a few workouts I almost didn't any longer. I don't think, though, that my arms now are adapted to the 8 lb weights, but should I do more repetitions or move to 10 lb weights already?
January 23rd, 2015 at 4:11:50 PM permalink
Nareed
I may not have mentioned I spent the last week really sick. I think my body hosted an all-strains convention of the common cold and the flu.

It started around Wednesday Jan 15, but it hit really hard Friday 16th. It was so bad I cancelled my electrolysis appointment for Saturday. I couldn't even manage to cook anything over the weekend. I made it much worse by not staying home Mon and Tue. I was running a temperature of 37.3 C (normal is supposed to be 36.5 or so). But we needed some rather expensive waste paper and I had to deliver it.

Needless to say I didn't work out at all during that time.

I'm feeling ok now. I will make the electrolysis appointment this Saturday, but won't resume working out until Sunday.

I just hope I'll be able to make a full weekend workout then....