Future of Cable TV

Page 31 of 34« First<28293031323334>
May 25th, 2017 at 7:32:32 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin

I think Westworld adds a lot to the android genre.

Absolutely
My favorite robot stories were all the Isaac Asimov books regarding robots. Great stories and very logical.
Least favorite robot, The one in Lost in Space tv series.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 25th, 2017 at 8:10:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Absolutely
My favorite robot stories were all the Isaac Asimov books regarding robots. Great stories and very logical.

Asimov felt very strongly against the traditional robot stories of his day, which he defined as either pathos, with the robot as a symbol for the oppressed, or Frankenstein, with the robot as monster. His reasoning, he claimed, was that if a development presents a problem, the solution is to be found in wisdom, ergo the Three Laws.

A latter writer playing in his universe re-stated the laws as follows: 1) A robot must be safe, 2) a robot must be useful, 3) a robot must be economical.

Anyway, Asimov's laws seem to have been replaced by Frink's Law of Robotics(*) (named after Prod. Frink in the Simpsons). In the Itchy & Scratchy Land ep, he warns that all robots will eventually turn against their human masters and try to kill them. It's only a matter of time.

(*) Or we can state Bender's Law "Kill all humans," and Homer's corollary "Start with Flanders."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 25th, 2017 at 9:22:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

This cartoonist feels that Asimov's three laws of robotics had no choice but to be in the order or priority given.

As the most basic adult animal instincts are sex and aggression the majority of guests to Westworld are interested in screwing or killing the androids with no repercussions. As we presume in this future, prostitution still exists, the androids have to be very lifelike, and the narrative has to be somewhat interesting in order to interest the high paying guests.
May 25th, 2017 at 10:14:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This cartoonist feels that Asimov's three laws of robotics had no choice but to be in the order or priority given.

That's a classic by Randall Munroe.

Later on Asimov added another law, called the Zeroth law (zero comes before one) which states "A robot may not harm humanity or, through inanction, allow humanity to come to harm."

I think that's how the Borg got started.

I highly recommend a book by Roger McBride Allen called "Isaac Asimov's Caliban." He goes into detail about how robots have a deleterious effect on humanity, and his character Dr. Fredda Leving, tries to fix this by making new robot brains with different laws. IT's a great read for Asimov's fans. The title character, a robot named Caliban, was made as an experimental subject. His brain lacks any laws.

Damn, I want to re-read it right now :)

Quote:
As the most basic adult animal instincts are sex and aggression the majority of guests to Westworld are interested in screwing or killing the androids with no repercussions. As we presume in this future, prostitution still exists, the androids have to be very lifelike, and the narrative has to be somewhat interesting in order to interest the high paying guests.

Wasn't that the plot of Spielberg's "A.I."? With the addition of the human desire to love a child. Granted no mecha were made to be destroyed, but you saw the groups of humans who hunted down mecha and destroyed them with impunity.

BTW, the best scene in the movie is when Joe's customer tells him she's never been with mecha, and Joe replies "Neither have I."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 25th, 2017 at 10:26:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I think it is a given that sex robots will become popular, just as sex toys are now widely sold. Sex toys masked as medical treatment in the 19th century.

But Westworld explores the possibility of guests exploring much more depraved fantasies than just simple sex.

A guest shoots an android woman and child just to see how it makes him feel.
May 25th, 2017 at 10:42:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Its not complicated. A bit confusing sometimes .

Jeez, that's what's over complicated, duh.
And ridiculous. Lets pretend this and that
person is now that, and isn't this interesting.
You think everything is interesting, which
doesn't mean what you think it means.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2017 at 10:54:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
As the most basic adult animal instincts are sex and aggression the majority of guests to Westworld are interested in screwing or killing the androids

Ever notice that all of our predictions
about the tech future are never even
close to accurate once they actually
come around? We were supposed to
be flying with jet packs and in our
cars and one person helo's 40 years
ago. Never happened.

We were supposed to have colonies
on the moon and mars and mining
asteroids by now. The earth is
supposed to be over populated to
the point of starvation, the oceans
dead and fished out, and the air
unbreathable because of pollution
and the ozone.

My point is, once we have robots,
they will never be like we see in the
imaginations of futurists. They will
be boring and non human and
about as likely to become self
aware and run amok as my electric
can opener. Notice the real future
so far has never even come close
to the projected future.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2017 at 1:52:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
My point is, once we have robots,they will never be like we see in the imaginations of futurists.

I'm sure that is true.

But the golem story is a thousand year old tradition where mankind attempts to create another manlike creature like God created Adam out of mud. Mary Shelley wrote her own golem story. I see Westworld as a fable, but I thought it was well told.

There is a number of twists involving the human characters as well.
May 26th, 2017 at 11:28:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
There is a number of twists involving the human characters as well.

Haven't seen it and never will, but I
guarantee it's a story I've seen many
times only this one has robots in it.
Like I always say, stories bore me, it's
the acting I watch for. But Terapined
says, why, good acting is everywhere,
in everything. That's why I avoid any
show he might endorse.
May 26th, 2017 at 11:39:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Haven't seen it and never will, but I
guarantee it's a story I've seen many
times only this one has robots in it.
Like I always say, stories bore me, it's
the acting I watch for. But Terapined
says, why, good acting is everywhere,
in everything. That's why I avoid any
show he might endorse.

Bosch rocked
Changing your mind on that show?
ROTFL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 31 of 34« First<28293031323334>