Campaign for Diversity...Tomorrow!

Page 3 of 6<123456>
February 18th, 2014 at 7:37:46 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Mission146
I hope so, because a '93 Beretta is a sweet freakin' ride.

Oh it was. It seated nine (relatively) comfortably, it conveniently dropped 3rd gear to decrease the necessity of constant shifting, it would shed tires, rims and all, giving me ample opportunity to take in the sights of places I'd never typically stop at, and all that pushing for the bump starts kept me in prime base-stealing condition for baseball.

She was a beaut ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 18th, 2014 at 9:16:48 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
And there's me thinking a Beretta is a gun....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 18th, 2014 at 9:26:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Oh it was. It seated nine (relatively) comfortably, it conveniently dropped 3rd gear to decrease the necessity of constant shifting, it would shed tires, rims and all, giving me ample opportunity to take in the sights of places I'd never typically stop at, and all that pushing for the bump starts kept me in prime base-stealing condition for baseball.

She was a beaut ;)

I briefly had its twin, the Corsica, as my first company car. The pair was the typical GM for the time. Refined in nothing but ran bad longer than most cars ran. When I swapped company cars with another manager so we could both get new Malibus (I forget the reason, but typical corporate Barbara Streisand) I got one with > 200,000 miles. These were cars good for the era when GM had such a dealer and marketing network they could push all kinds of mediocre cars out and get bestsellers.
The President is a fink.
February 18th, 2014 at 9:40:21 AM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
And there's me thinking a Beretta is a gun....

Considering my posting history and your citizenship, you are quite forgiven =)

You should thank all the gods there were and ever will be that you've never known the... *ahem*... joy of owning 80's through 90's American cars. Ignore AZD's comments and don't listen to Mission wax poetically about his Cavalier. Rubbish, the lot of 'em =p
February 18th, 2014 at 9:50:47 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
known the... *ahem*... joy of owning 80's through 90's American cars.

Personally I'd back that up to 70's - 80's when the Japanese were truly eating our lunch and every american model year was an adventure in lowering the bar. I know your stated views on 4-wheel, all wheel, no wheel [:-)] drive but the GKs (I'm driving my fifth one, a 2011 and it's the best yet) of '93 and '97 vintage were cherry IMO.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
February 18th, 2014 at 10:16:19 AM permalink
Face
Quote: chickenman
Personally I'd back that up to 70's - 80's when the Japanese were truly eating our lunch and every american model year was an adventure in lowering the bar.

I was born in '80. By the time I was old enough to take the wheel in '96, there wasn't a 70's era car that still ran*! XD

*exception given for the early 70's muscle cars, every one of which is perfection incarnate ;)
February 18th, 2014 at 10:31:20 AM permalink
chickenman
Yes, was just speaking from experience. Owned a '70 Charger (in 1970!) and that rocked. The 60's vehicles were pretty special: Mustang, Bonneville, Olds 442, etc. but must admit the advanced technology and quality today make them seem like the horse-and-buggy era.
February 18th, 2014 at 10:47:22 AM permalink
Face
Quote: chickenman
... but must admit the advanced technology and quality today make them seem like the horse-and-buggy era.

In the words of the El Paso girl, "Why not have both?" Resto-mod, man! All the character and sexuality of the 60's and 70's, but with modern brakes, suspension, ignition, etc. of today.

Just don't do it to a numbers matching, for that is sacrilegious.
February 18th, 2014 at 10:51:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Considering my posting history and your citizenship, you are quite forgiven =)

You should thank all the gods there were and ever will be that you've never known the... *ahem*... joy of owning 80's through 90's American cars. Ignore AZD's comments and don't listen to Mission wax poetically about his Cavalier. Rubbish, the lot of 'em =p

What did I say that made them sound good?

On the other post about "great" japanese cars in the 1970s, not so much. They rusted in the showroom back then and had very little refinement. It was not until about 1982 that they started to really compete.
The President is a fink.
February 18th, 2014 at 11:05:37 AM permalink
chickenman
Quote: AZDuffman

On the other post about "great" japanese cars in the 1970s, not so much. They rusted in the showroom back then and had very little refinement. It was not until about 1982 that they started to really compete.
Couldn't agree more, but the roller skate Hondas and rusted Toyotas were increasingly grabbing market share and the the shift accelerated with the oil embargo and Americans looking for gas economy. That's how they funded the improvements of the eighties while most domestic design noticeably declined as the brass hats grabbed the money and left the debt to the minions. It was somewhat humorous to watch horrible design after horrible design come off domestic producers' drafting boards.
Page 3 of 6<123456>