Campaign for Diversity...Tomorrow!

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
February 19th, 2014 at 2:29:51 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
The 90's Cavalier marks the very death of American motoring. It is the embodiment of everything that ever went wrong with American cars.

Most terrible things have some sort of redeeming quality. Look at the AK-47. It is atrociously ugly. The tolerances allowed make one wonder how it can even fire, let alone do so repeatedly. But it is, bar none, the single most reliable weapon ever made. You can freeze it, drown it, bury it in a sludge slurry, blow it up, drop it out of a Hind, run it over with a T-80, and it'll still fire as if it just came out of the factory.

On the other side of the coin, look at the Ferrari 458. It costs more than the GDP of small countries. It is impossible to drive on public roads. It caught fire anytime you looked at it for more than 3.98 seconds. But it was one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring designs to every grace a showroom floor, and the performance it produced nearly violates the laws of physics.

Everything in life has its pros and cons. Except the mid 90s Cavalier. It is an abortion of automotive manufacturing. It's dull. It's frumpy. It lacks class. It lacks quality. It has nothing which could even pretend to be labeled as performance. It is the antithesis of durability, of practicality, of reasonable common sense. It is the slovenly man who dines alone and wears sweatpants 100% of the time. It is proof that GM had given up.

When I come to power, I shall bronze 50 of them and erect them on plinths in every state capitol as a reminder of what happens when the United States of America gives up and stops trying. With such a foreboding presence, I predict a rise back to AAA credit, record low unemployment, and cooperation between Americans not seen since WWII within a fortnight, if only to prevent an event like the introduction of a mid 90s Cavalier from ever occurring again.

You, my friend, need a Honda. It will be a revelation the likes of which you never knew possible.

(Winky face purposely left out, because when it comes to my hatred of 90s era American cars, it is no laughing matter)

;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 19th, 2014 at 2:42:28 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I think you almost made me cry, I actually feel like a bad person, now, j/k. It was only $500, does that help? The cost of the vehicle, so far, to me (not considering repairs) is less than 2.5 cents per mile. Including repairs, but not gas, I'm still right around five cents per mile.

Quote: Face

On the other side of the coin, look at the Ferrari 458. It costs more than the GDP of small countries. It is impossible to drive on public roads. It caught fire anytime you looked at it for more than 3.98 seconds. But it was one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring designs to every grace a showroom floor, and the performance it produced nearly violates the laws of physics.

It cost that much money and they used glue that couldn't withstand the heat! HA!!! That's what anyone who would waste that much money on a car deserves.

Quote:
Everything in life has its pros and cons. Except the mid 90s Cavalier. It is an abortion of automotive manufacturing. It's dull. It's frumpy. It lacks class. It lacks quality. It has nothing which could even pretend to be labeled as performance. It is the antithesis of durability, of practicality, of reasonable common sense. It is the slovenly man who dines alone and wears sweatpants 100% of the time. It is proof that GM had given up.

Mine is a late 90's Cavalier, the body is kind of sporty, in a way:

http://images.nadaguides.com/j/7479.jpg

Furthermore, it absolutely sips gas, the EPA says 20/28, but mine performs much better than that, I guarantee I average 30 mpg's in that thing.

It handles great going uphill, and we have a ton of hills in this area. The key is to throw a few tires or bricks in the trunk to balance the car out, otherwise the back end likes to whip around all over the place.

I maintain it is durable, mine has a ton of miles on it. I think it will go 200K.

Quote:
You, my friend, need a Honda. It will be a revelation the likes of which you never knew possible.

If the Cavalier ever goes, I'm going to try to find a 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 19th, 2014 at 3:12:56 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Mission146
I think you almost made me cry, I actually feel like a bad person, now, j/k.

If it makes you feel any better, the .jpeg you supplied made me throw up right into my own mouth XD

If the Cavalier ever goes, I'm going to try to find a 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback.

There is hope for you yet! Salvation lies that way, you may yet be saved.

I mean, if you want 50+mpg on pump gas (VX model with D15Z1 VTEC-E powerplant) and durability that rivals the Great Pyramid of Giza, then your choice of future car is where it's at.

"If the Cavalier ever goes". Man, you are one funny guy XD
February 19th, 2014 at 3:30:01 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

There is hope for you yet! Salvation lies that way, you may yet be saved.

I mean, if you want 50+mpg on pump gas (VX model with D15Z1 VTEC-E powerplant) and durability that rivals the Great Pyramid of Giza, then your choice of future car is where it's at.

Thanks! They're really cool-looking, too.

The only thing that concerns me is the possibility that all of these Hatchbacks are a stick, were automatics optional in '94? I know they were in '96, maybe I need to look for a '96.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 19th, 2014 at 3:45:08 PM permalink
Face
Thanks! They're really cool-looking, too.

The only thing that concerns me is the possibility that all of these Hatchbacks are a stick, were automatics optional in '94? I know they were in '96, maybe I need to look for a '96.

The VX, no. Not the Si either. One of the models were, possibly the DX, but to find one would be rare indeed. If you remember, ATs were just beginning to be sorted at the time we started driving. Up until then, a manual had superior performance, to include gas mileage. It wasn't until all the computer driver wizardry that ATs took the mpg crown.

But model may not be important. While the VX and HF models were the true long distance runners getting high 40- low 50 mpg, even a DOHC, 130hp high performance model is still going to get at least the mpg that you're getting now, provided you stay out of the VTEC range (>4,700 RPM).
February 19th, 2014 at 3:50:49 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

But model may not be important. While the VX and HF models were the true long distance runners getting high 40- low 50 mpg, even a DOHC, 130hp high performance model is still going to get at least the mpg that you're getting now, provided you stay out of the VTEC range (>4,700 RPM).

That won't be a problem, I accelerate pretty slowly (except around turns on backroads) and never speed.
February 20th, 2014 at 5:39:36 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
The 90's Cavalier marks the very death of American motoring. It is the embodiment of everything that ever went wrong with American cars.

We sold our '99 Cavalier in 2005 to an Iraq veteran before we made the move back to Canada.

It was a POS, but it did survive a couple of Canadian winter.

Check out those lines. It was almost as good as my '96 Dodge Neon, and my '86 LeBaron.

Yikes.
February 20th, 2014 at 7:07:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo

It was a POS, but it did survive a couple of Canadian winter.

Still no salt on roads up there? Piece of cake if not.

Quote:
Check out those lines. It was almost as good as my '96 Dodge Neon, and my '86 LeBaron.

Ugh. Chrysler had a thing for decent looking cars, too bad they fell apart at 60,000 miles. 1988 LeBaron convertible for me, never again.
The President is a fink.
February 24th, 2014 at 8:01:55 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
There was plenty of salt, and the winters we were there was particularly brutal.

My dad was a Chrysler dad and worked for a steel company, so i had to follow with the American vehicles. Even my Honda was assembled here in Ontario.

The Neon's head gasket blew one month out of warranty. I had to send a letter to Chrysler to get them to cover it. They did because they knew that their Neon head gaskets were notoriously bunsty.

Next car will likely be a Hyundai. Sorry, Face. I'm completely practical when it comes to cars.
February 24th, 2014 at 8:12:57 AM permalink
Face
Quote: boymimbo

Next car will likely be a Hyundai. Sorry, Face. I'm completely practical when it comes to cars.

Don't get it completely twisted. I'm not an enemy of practicality. My personal Silverado is completely and utterly devoid of wonder. No power locks, no power windows, smallest V8 they offer, no big off road package, plain steel wheels... like most people here, it's completely utilitarian. It serves one purpose; get me and my gear from A to B.

But I like it because it does that job well. It pulls my boat, pulls my race car, gets 18ish mpg, and other than typical wear parts (brakes, bearings, tires), hasn't had a major issue. I'm at about 110k, and barring the damnable rust from NY winters, is in about the same condition as when I got it with 42k.

Go practical. It is a good thing. Just make sure you do it right. Hyundai? No problem. Just make sure it's late model. Late 90s - early 00s Hyundais were junk. Get a '00 Accent and my rag on Mission will look like a sonnet of praise in comparison to what I'd have in store for you =p
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>