3 votes (37.5%)
2 votes (25%)
1 vote (12.5%)

8 members have voted

July 11th, 2015 at 12:44:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
I had something shiny in my hand when I last got stung by a yellow jacket. Rxwine, that makes me wonder if you got stung by a yellow jacket instead of a bee. That is definitely one of their moves, getting ticked at something shiny near their nest.

Didn't know that. For sure, I was thinking I was having a bad day when I get stung out of nowhere, for what seemed no reason.

Stuff I just found if enraging a bunch of Africanized bees. How true are these? Anyone know.

- Run in a straight line - most healthy people are capable of outrunning Africanized bees as they are slow fliers.
-•Do not swat at the bees or flail your arms. Bees are attracted to movement and crushed bees emit a smell of bananas that will attract more bees.
-Avoid getting into water. Killer bees will wait until you come up for air.
-The average person can safely tolerate 7-10 stings per pound of body weight; this means that although 500 stings can kill a child, the average adult could withstand more than 1100 stings

http://www.wikihow.com/Escape-from-Killer-Bees

One thing I'm afraid I'm going to forget what reaction is for what animal. Like stand and fight bees, run from a lion like an antelope? You know, a mixup could be bad news.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 11th, 2015 at 4:38:51 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
Didn't know that. For sure, I was thinking I was having a bad day when I get stung out of nowhere, for what seemed no reason.
that can happen but I think they look for anything novel in their environment: noise, shiny, vibrating, etc. It only takes one of the silly buggers to find what it thinks is a good target and emit a pheremone that says "Pile On".

Stuff I just found if enraging a bunch of Africanized bees. How true are these? Anyone know.

- Run in a straight line - sounds sensible.
-•Do not swat at the bees or flail your arms. Bees are attracted to movement and crushed bees emit a smell of bananas that will attract more bees. definitely true. virtually all species.
-Avoid getting into water. Killer bees will wait until you come up for air. so don't get into a small swimming pool, choose large lake.

>>One thing I'm afraid I'm going to forget what reaction is for what animal.
>>Like stand and fight bees, run from a lion like an antelope? You know, a mixup could be bad news.
Like I said about alligator wrestling: strong muscles to close their jaws; weak muscles to open them. If you are going to get confused about this though, better not take up aligator wrestling.
July 11th, 2015 at 6:54:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Like I said about alligator wrestling: strong muscles to close their jaws; weak muscles to open them. If you are going to get confused about this though, better not take up aligator wrestling.

I guess I will pass on next weekends alligator wrestling, and just devote my time to recreational bomb defusing.

Let's see, red, green, black. What about a yellow wire?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 11th, 2015 at 10:26:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
What about a yellow wire?
that's okay, those involved in ordnance disposal never have any grasp at all of "yellow".
Jack Jumper ants which hunt by sight not odor still seem to home in on certain persons. One tasmanian couple could walk side by side and the wife would never be attacked but the husband was a veritable magnet for them, so its certainly more than sight that they respond to.
July 12th, 2015 at 8:49:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've been wanting to post this for a while.

It's taken me over 50 years to finally come to a conclusion; the first 40 or so I think it was being worked out subconsciously. At this point, I am claiming these are facts of the natural world that are little talked about - perhaps unknown to science.

There is some kind of bug in the woods and along streams in the US that dive bombs you with extreme expertise and skill. It sizes you up as to what side is front and back.* It then buzzes you then in the noisiest manner at the back of your head, seemingly to drive you off, but you never see it. You may see a wasp or something, but if you do you will notice that bumbler is not this same expert. The latter might actually want to sting you. The aforementioned does not seem to want to, I have never been stung or bit. Admittedly I don't give it much of a chance, but 'never' is remarkable.* It distinctly exhibits territorial behavior; once you walk out of its territory, it quits.*

It can't be a regular horsefly, as those have landed on my arms and legs and bit in clumsy attempts. This thing is way too clever; I am willing to believe it is a variant of the horsefly, however. As a blow to science, I have never collected one or even much more than lightly struck the creatures. Well, hell, not really even seen what it is. As to what and why, we will call this the continuing mystery !

*although this is written in an humorous vein I am not making this up

PS: I have no doubt Fleastiff will have a theory and I can't wait!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 12th, 2015 at 9:26:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
]I've been wanting to post this for a while.

It's taken me over 50 years to finally come to a conclusion; the first 40 or so I think it was being worked out subconsciously. At this point, I am claiming these are facts of the natural world that are little talked about - perhaps unknown to science.
>>> It sizes you up as to what side is front and back.
Not a particularly complex skill. few creatures walk backwards. Natives paddling canoes on a jungle river often wear masks on the back of their heads that look like faces so as to confuse any leopard or panther that might leap from a tree limb. after all, most creatures prefer to attack from your rear, they ain't dumb.

all creatures are territorial. American explorers would always "Holler round the bend" or spend several minutes hollering upon entering a new valley. It revealed their presence and even dominant creatures would shy away from a river bank or trail and watch to see what was happening. If you came upon a bear quietly, you were likely to be in for it, but if you announced your presence he would amble off to avoid an unnecessary fight. Ofcourse two footed predators would make use of the information and count the size of your party and note your armament.

Identifying an intruder by its sweat is good perhaps, its judging the "sweetness" of the meal versus the risk or perhaps its just doing an Identify: friend or foe sniff or two. and it displays "sentry behavior". Kill it if you wish, it emits odors that warn others. it is not attacking you, more its determining if you are friendly or not. Kill it and others will know instantly.

Quote:
I have no doubt Fleastiff will have a theory and I can't wait!
Its the same way as a Hippie with a grow patch. He has sentries out on the various approaches, but they know their role it to be seen and heard and protect the pot.
July 12th, 2015 at 1:14:15 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
hmmm. Maybe I can spot one of these things by walking backwards ...
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 12th, 2015 at 4:48:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Let us know, but not from the bottom of a cliff please.

In florida the creature you describe is called the Nosee'ems.
Page 3 of 3<123