Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Why do you drive your kids to school, doesn't your school
district have buses? If you have buses available, then
you have no room to complain. You're lumped in with
all the over protective parents who are terrified of
Jimmie and Joanie ever seeing real world without
their parents holding their hands the whole time.

He just turned six a couple of weeks ago and the bus has kids all the way up to High School on it, so God knows what those kids talk about that a six year old doesn't need to hear. I'll probably wait until he's at least eight to start him on the bus, but definitely by the time he's eleven because his sister will then be eight.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 24th, 2014 at 7:37:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Your wine analogy has convinced me, Face!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 24th, 2014 at 7:48:11 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Geez, Mission, good thing neither of you had a gun. Wow.

We all have road rage incidents. At my kid's school, they closed off the drop-off area this year because they consolidated the high school with another and the buses now take up the drop off area. So, we are supposed to drop off and pick up the kid in the parking lot. The problem is the parking lot has one entrance and exit and with cars coming in both directions, there's a huge lineup to get out of the parking lot especially when one wants to turn left, because the people entering the parking lot cannot be bothered to let people in, not realizing that it will take alot longer to get out. I got trapped in that once, decided that it wasn't good for my heart to get hot-headed at these morons, and developed an alternate solution.

I avoid the whole thing and pick up and drop off my daughter in front of the school. She can walk the extra hundred feet, and although it's a no stopping zone, there's never a cop there, knock on wood, hey hey.

Mission, I would try to think about the alternate solution too. Rage is dangerous, especially in the States.
February 24th, 2014 at 11:51:11 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Mission146

We're going to play a game that I like to call "No," at this time, would you like an explanation of the rules?

Your wine analogy has convinced me, Face!

Damn. What's a job that's not a lawyer that one gets paid for arguing people into a desired position?

I wonder if there's any money in being a propagandist? ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 24th, 2014 at 6:48:16 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face

I wonder if there's any money in being a propagandist? ;)

Billions. Ask Roger Ailes.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 24th, 2014 at 7:21:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'll probably wait until he's at least eight to start him on the bus, but definitely by the time he's eleven because his sister will then be eight.

Like I said, you have an option. You really
can't complain about the other parents
that choose to drive their kids when there
are buses they could take, you're all in
the same therapy group. I go by several
high scale housing developments every
day, and there's always an army of cars
there to give their kids the 200 yard
ride home when they get off the bus.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2014 at 6:57:44 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Like I said, you have an option. You really
can't complain about the other parents
that choose to drive their kids when there
are buses they could take, you're all in
the same therapy group. I go by several
high scale housing developments every
day, and there's always an army of cars
there to give their kids the 200 yard
ride home when they get off the bus.

Let me make sure I understand your argument: Because I choose to drive in a non-idiotic way, I have no right to complain about those who drive in an idiotic way. If that's the case, if someone cuts me off when I am trying to get on the highway on my way to work, do I have no right to complain because I could always choose to walk the eleven miles?
February 25th, 2014 at 3:36:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My argument is, people who drive perfectly healthy
kids to school when a bus is available, have issues.
They all meet at the school where their issues are
in plain view, and they hate each other. Also part
of their issues. Same with the people who have to
drive Porky and Dorky the 200 yards from the bus
stop to the front door. And they wonder why 1/3
of people under 35 still live with their parents. They're
still in adolescence.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2014 at 6:16:12 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
My argument is, people who drive perfectly healthy
kids to school when a bus is available, have issues.
They all meet at the school where their issues are
in plain view, and they hate each other. Also part
of their issues. Same with the people who have to
drive Porky and Dorky the 200 yards from the bus
stop to the front door. And they wonder why 1/3
of people under 35 still live with their parents. They're
still in adolescence.

My argument is, I would agree with you if the only kids on his bus were in elementary school. I understand you are slightly older than I am, so it is possible that things were different when you rode the bus, but I rode it most of the way through my Junior year of High School and I actually witnessed narcotics transactions take place on the bus, let alone the sort of things we talked about...there were a few fights, too.

Like I mentioned, half of the kids on that bus are Middle School and older, so I don't know that he's mature enough...at the age of six...to bear witness to some of the things that kids of that age do or hear some of the things that kids of that age discuss.

I don't know anything about what issues you are implying I may have. If I get done at work at 4:00a.m. to get up at 8:15a.m. to drive my son to school, there's a reason why I'm doing that and it's not to meet with other parents. I don't generally talk to any of the morning people or know any of them. I talk to a few people in the afternoon, but that's because I knew them prior to this school year, I helped one guy campaign for Township Trustee.

Anyway, I don't know what issues I have other than not wanting a six year old amongst a bunch of rowdy high school kids. I'd suggest that more people than not would say that is a good parenting decision, but who knows?
Page 3 of 3<123