Terminating plain old telephone service

Page 2 of 2<12
February 24th, 2014 at 9:12:10 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I've been trying to lose our landline service for 2 years, but my gf won't do it because we live out in the woods outside a small town, and get spotty cell signal. And she loooooves to talk on the phone at night, so it's worth it to her, not to me.
February 25th, 2014 at 7:25:43 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Paco,

Would you mind elaborating on the bluetooth wireless repeater thing? Maybe some links to what you're talking about? I have had this issue through T-mobile for 10 years, though the new house is better than the last one. Their HotSpot thing just doesn't get it done for me. Thanks!
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 25th, 2014 at 8:16:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
Paco,

Would you mind elaborating on the bluetooth wireless repeater thing?

There are variations, but one of the simplest is on sale now (for three days)

5 handsets plus 1 headset (up to 2 cordless phones + optional land line) $130
http://www.vtechphones.com/products/detail/2392

Much better looking system
3 handsets plus 0 headset (up to 2 cordless phones + optional land line) $140
http://www.vtechphones.com/products/product_detail/2424

You simply put the base set in a place in the house with good cell phone reception, and the secondary handsets are plugged in around the house. The secondary handsets connect to the base using DECT 6.0 wireless, which is much better than your cell phone frequencies at getting through masonry and steel.

The handset will tell you which cell phone is ringing.

You don't need to hardwire the cell phones. They connect to the base via bluetooth. Almost all cell phones have this connection, not just smart ones. You simply recharge your cell phones near the base.

CELL PHONE REPEATERS ARE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. I am told even the $300 ones often don't work
http://www.amazon.com/zBoost-Xtreme-Dual-Band-Signal-Booster/dp/B006MGPIVC/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1393351049&sr=1-4&keywords=cell+phone+repeater

But the bluetooth systems only work with voice, not with texting.

===============================
These bluetooth systems are cheaper at around $50 with shipping, and you keep your current phones. I don't recommend them because of noise, and you lose the option of hooking up a landline as well. Without an LCD panel on your current phones, you won't know before you pick up, which cell phone is being called (if you have more than one(. You are probably better off replacing your handsets.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00135XU7Q/ref=cm_rdp_olp
February 26th, 2014 at 2:16:22 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Thank you so much! I will look into this. It would be perfect to put the cell by the door so I grab it on the way out and be able to answer it elsewhere in the house.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 26th, 2014 at 4:52:38 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
During Hurricane Sandy, a tree fell taking out our electric and cable. It didn't take out the phone line.

Ironically, we had disconnected it a few months prior due to a lack of use - but it was still attached to the house.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
February 26th, 2014 at 4:56:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
Thank you so much! I will look into this. It would be perfect to put the cell by the door so I grab it on the way out and be able to answer it elsewhere in the house.

http://www.vtechphones.com/products/product_detail/2402

Some of these phones also have a walkie talkie feature called "Push to Talk". This is one step above the intercom feature which requires someone to push the intercom button to hear what you have to say. It's especially useful for older people who have trouble getting out of their chair or for kids. You just use the phone as loudspeaker and say "Come to Dinner" or "The House is on Fire", etc.

The Cordless Headset may be uncomfortable for some people. As they cost the same as about two or three handsets, it may be more helpful to simply have more handsets around the house.

Check the maximum number of handsets you can add to your base unit. The limits vary from 5 to 10. If you want to purchase more handsets later (usually $15-$20 apiece) you want to know your expansion limits.

The phones themselves feel like remote controls in shape. There is a certain amount of leakage so that other people in the room can often hear the person on the phone.

If this bothers you, you are pretty much forced to buy the more expensive designer models

To get a truly old fashioned handset in a cordless phone is often expensive. Some people buy them to plug into their cell phones when they are at home.

CHEAP

EXPENSIVE
Page 2 of 2<12