What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 25th, 2017 at 7:47:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Watching "Spartacus". Seen it before but not in quite awhile. Kirk Douglas is 100 years old now.

Bob Hope died at 100. (only other one I know without looking anyone else up_)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 28th, 2017 at 6:33:29 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I had a friend who wanted to see Get Out, so I went and saw it a 2nd time last night.

It is a great movie. I noticed lots of little things that you'd never pick up on the first viewing.

Also, Allison Williams (daughter of Brian Williams) gives a great performance. I appreciated it much more on the 2nd viewing. It's very layered. She did a great job with her part.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 28th, 2017 at 6:52:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Bob Hope died at 100. (only other one I know without looking anyone else up_)

George Burns?

And maybe his brother Monty? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 28th, 2017 at 8:25:24 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
So is "Rotten Tomatoes" unreliable?
February 28th, 2017 at 8:33:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
What do you mean?

It's 99% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes - only 1 negative review, and that negative review is from notorious troll Armond White.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 28th, 2017 at 8:53:23 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
I recently watched "10 Cloverfield Lane". I thought it was connected to the video camera p.o.v. big monster attacks New York City flick, "Cloverfield". However, it should have been advertised as 'inspired by' or, "It has the name of another movie in the title, but it's actually is a mix of "Saw" and "Independence Day".

John Goodman does a serviceable job as a Louisiana prepper who plays the "heavy". Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays the heroine. She has been in several films and TV series, but the one I remember her from was playing Mary Todd (Lincoln) in "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer".

Unfortunately, after an encouraging start, the film suffers in the middle before the "big" finish. The storyline makes it clear that the writers and producers really hoped that this would be the launch of a new horror/action/sci-fi franchise, ala Milla Jovovich in "Resident Evil". However the dip in the middle just kills the whole production.

I give it 3 rolls of duct tape out of 10.

February 28th, 2017 at 8:54:53 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
I thought your originally mentioned that it got rated 100% rotten.
February 28th, 2017 at 9:39:38 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
100% AT rotten tomatoes. Which means it's rated fresh. Yes, confusing, eh?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 2nd, 2017 at 4:37:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Well folks, during the heyday of the JonBenet Ramsey press coverage, I would watch the film "M" whenever it aired since it was a Fritz Lang classic about a child murderer. During all this nonsense in the UK about pedophiles, I watched 'The Mark'. Now when our news is full of terrorism and fears of terrorism, I will soon be watching "Z" since Turner Classic Movies Films A to Z is nearing its end. I know its going to be in the next day or so and at an ungodly hour but I think you will all enjoy seeing terrorists from a different point of view.
It seems only Dark Cabaret and films keep us grounded in our traditions. So dance to Rebetico music and pour your eight dollar drinks on the floor, stand when Ode to Joy is played, make certain your female companions stand during the Arizona Song, sing the politically incorrect versions of Oh Suzannah and Dirty Old Town, prepare your tea with three cups, drink absinthe at the Green Hour and when all the world is focusing on the evils of terrorism, go watch "Z".
March 2nd, 2017 at 5:57:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I set my DVR to record it.

Not sure when I'll actually watch it. I'm already backed up on recordings I haven't watched yet.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?