What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 2nd, 2017 at 11:09:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: zippyboy
Best part of Bad Santa was that gullible little rich kid who Billy Bob abused all movie long. BBT was relentless and hilarious, and that kid kept a straight face through it all. Put me down for....Loved it!

He is in the sequel as well and plays exactly the same roll. The movie wouldn't have worked without him.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 2nd, 2017 at 11:23:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
If you pay more they mail you DVDs. That is how I see 99% of Netflix movies.

They still do that? I haven't sent anything in
the mail or bought a stamp in 10 years, it
sounds totally depressing to be caught up
in all that nonsense again. I love streaming,
best thing that ever happened to the internet.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 2nd, 2017 at 11:33:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The streaming prices may go up to $9, $12 and $14. Over 50 million people have Netflix in the USA, so further expansion is unlikely and the only way to increase revenue is to raise prices.

Basic Plan – $7.99 per month: It is cheapest Netflix plan. Though, this plan has some restrictions like No HD is available (Forget about Ultra HD). Moreover, you can use this basic plan only on 1 screen at same time.
Standard Plan – $9.99 per month: It is one of most popular Netflix plan which is quite affordable with HD movies and TV shows. Though Ultra HD is not available but it will be fine for you if you are watching movies on your’s room TV. In standard plan, you can watch movies and TV shows on 2 screens at the same time.
Premium Plan – $11.99 per month: Undoubtedly, it is the best plan of Netflix with Ultra HD movies and TV shows too. Moreover, you can watch on 4 screens at the same time with a single Netflix premium account.

No word if the DVD option will go up in price

Plan DVD Price Blu-ray Price
Limited $5 $6 Two (per month)

Number of discs out at a time
1-Disc $8 $10 One
2-Disc $12 $15 Two
3-Disc $16 $20 Three

If you pay more they mail you DVDs. That is how I see 99% of Netflix movies.

I think anyone who is using video libraries like Netflix or HBO Now or Showtime instead of CableTV should give themselves some options. The DVD movies provide you far more choices for as little as an extra $5-$20 a month.

Cable TV was usually $80-$100 a month for fifty channels of commercial filled television. You can't reasonably be expected to replace it with a single $10 Netflix service. A reasonable commercial free non sports option is $10 Netflix, $10 one disc Netflix DVD, and $15 HBO Now. You can add $20 SlingTV option which gives you news and ESPN and over a dozen commercial entertainment options.
July 2nd, 2017 at 12:20:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
12,009,400 Transformers: Age of Extinction 6/27/14
5,054,300 Transformers: The Last Knight 6/21/17

Based on Age of Extinction, I wouldn't bother to see another one, but I read some of the earlier ones are better. So maybe I will try another earlier one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 2nd, 2017 at 1:42:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I thought movie sales were determined by Chinese teenagers.
July 2nd, 2017 at 3:25:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
The DVD movies provide you far more choices for as little as an extra $5-$20 a month.

It's the hassle of having to send them
back. I just HATED it when I had to
go to Blockbuster, it meant I was under
the gun to return the damn things.
Even if DVD's in the mail were free,
I still would not do it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 2nd, 2017 at 3:30:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
it meant I was under the gun to return the damn things.

For a while the rental companies would say after a certain date that you bought the DVD and bill your credit card.

Netflix essentially ended late fees by simply saying you didn't get the next one until you returned the last one. If you take a week, there is no penalty.
July 2nd, 2017 at 4:27:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
If you take a week, there is no penalty.

I don't care if it was a year, I wouldn't
do it. The great thing about streaming
is, when it's done, you're done too. You
move on to something else. I haven't
mailed anything in 10 years for a reason,
I hate it, the hassle of having to go there
and do it.
July 2nd, 2017 at 9:17:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
I don't care if it was a year, I wouldn't
do it. The great thing about streaming
is, when it's done, you're done too. You
move on to something else. I haven't
mailed anything in 10 years for a reason,
I hate it, the hassle of having to go there
and do it.

I never would have thought EB is more savvy on modern technology than I am.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 3rd, 2017 at 4:23:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I never would have thought EB is more savvy on modern technology than I am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3M_computer

3M was a goal first proposed in the early 1980s by Raj Reddy and his colleagues at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) as a minimum specification for academic/technical workstations: at least a megabyte of memory, a megapixel display and a million instructions per second (MIPS) processing power.

I remember people saying there would come a day when the casual computer user would need a more powerful machine than the engineer and the scientist. The idea seemed so strange to me.