What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 25th, 2017 at 5:39:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
I don't see a grand swimming pool, but is there a waterpark with slides at the top of the picture?

That image is old. If you look on Google maps at (36.182794, -115.293567) it is completely finished now.

I think his home is in the middle of the TPC Summerlin golf course.

Zilllow lists the home basic description as:

Year Built 2013
Parking 29 spaces
Lot 2.52 acres

Room count: 35
Beds: 8
Floor size: 43,557 sqft
Finished basement 1313 sqft basement

Hot Tub/Spa Pool Tennis Court Elevator Intercom
Last sold: Jul 2005 for $4,183,700
July 25th, 2017 at 10:43:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Saw the last Star Trek movie on Prime
last night. No wonder it didn't make a
profit, it was boring as hell. They blew
up the Enterprise in the first 15min
and spent the rest of the movie on the
surface of a planet. Stupid idea for a
space movie. They broke even, but
there's another one coming next year
already.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 25th, 2017 at 8:21:48 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Saw the last Star Trek movie on Prime
last night. No wonder it didn't make a
profit, it was boring as hell. They blew
up the Enterprise in the first 15min
and spent the rest of the movie on the
surface of a planet.......

OMG spoiler alert!
July 25th, 2017 at 8:36:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: zippyboy
OMG spoiler alert!

Hardly, it's something that happens almost
immediately. You know it's not coming
back because it's in a hundred pieces.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 28th, 2017 at 11:40:05 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Dunkirk

It was good.

Not Christopher Nolan's best, but still good.

However, one thing that REALLY bugged me for some reason was the editing. It's almost as if there was no attempt to match continuity of the level of sunlight between shots. Some shots were clearly filmed on gray, overcast days. And then the reverse shot was clearly shot on a sunny day.

For example, early on in the movie Kenneth Branagh's character stands on a dock watching a boat sinking in the water. The shots of the boat sinking were filmed on an overcast day. The shots of Branagh were clearly shot on a sunny day.

This happens again and again throughout the movie. It drove me crazy!

And the film is divided into three different stories, told non-linearly. We see certain events happen multiple times in the film from different angles. The issues with the daylight continuity certainly didn't help matters.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 28th, 2017 at 12:00:42 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: ams288
... It's almost as if there was no attempt to match continuity of the level of sunlight between shots. Some shots were clearly filmed on gray, overcast days. And then the reverse shot was clearly shot on a sunny day...

I didn't see it, but could the lighting have been intended as a visual cue to the emotional or mental state of a character, or their point of view? Could it be used to create tension or confusion IN the audience, operating like a strobe effect to deliberately make watchers in a dark theater feel uncomfortable or insecure?

I see the mismatched background lighting all the time in T.V. shows, and am pretty forgiving because of time and budget considerations. However, for a big budget movie, I would hope for a more intentional use of the lighting, because they have the time, and nowadays the technology, to correct mistakes in post production.
July 28th, 2017 at 12:46:51 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Ayecarumba
I didn't see it, but could the lighting have been intended as a visual cue to the emotional or mental state of a character, or their point of view? Could it be used to create tension or confusion IN the audience, operating like a strobe effect to deliberately make watchers in a dark theater feel uncomfortable or insecure?

Nah, I don't think so.

There isn't a whole lot of characterization in this movie. Heck, I'm not sure if I can even remember a single character's name. The movie just throws us right into the action and ratchets up the suspense steadily as it goes on.

It's a short (for Christopher Nolan) 1 hour and 47 minutes.

Christopher Nolan is a big proponent of shooting on film. He is known to hate using blue screens and uses as little CGI as humanly possible. I think many other directors would have made more of an attempt to fix this issue in post-production with color manipulation, but I suspect Nolan isn't a fan of that process either.

Also: I did see it in IMAX, which shows more picture (i.e. more sky at the top of the screen), maybe on a standard screen it wouldn't have been so noticeable?

Here's a comparison from Nolan's The Dark Knight:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 28th, 2017 at 3:21:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Most movies are shot Day For Night so you don't have to keep the entire crew and the stars on the clock waiting for night then 'night' is added in.

Film Noir is usually shot Night For Night because thats all they can afford.

Background lighting can be distracting. In the Big Sleep a late afternoon rainstorm was shot in bright light the effects were muted by interior shots.
July 28th, 2017 at 3:21:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
For most people, lighting and continuity does not appear to be important. With all this computerized rastering lights and shadows can take a long time but it can be done well.

Long ago Disney insisted that animals jumping over a fence had to have shadows, I doubt it would be done that way now.
July 28th, 2017 at 7:46:29 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
For most people, lighting and continuity does not appear to be important. With all this computerized rastering lights and shadows can take a long time but it can be done well.

What was revolutionary about Citizen Kane was the lighting. Lots of real shadows intead of a typical well lighted soundstage
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"