What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 28th, 2017 at 9:35:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
As great as CGI can be there is something about actual settings that it still doesn't quite capture IMO. Even compared to this old 1928 movie.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 28th, 2017 at 9:56:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
As great as CGI can be there is something about actual settings that it still doesn't quite capture IMO. Even compared to this old 1928 movie.

The scene at the end where all those people
are sitting at desks doing menial bookkeeping
work. Computer got rid of 90% of those jobs.
I remember banking in the 60's, it involved
paper for everything. And lots of people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 29th, 2017 at 5:29:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
What was revolutionary about Citizen Kane was the lighting. Lots of real shadows intead of a typical well lighted soundstage

Citizen Kane is a cinematographic masterpiece.

Sahdows are one aspect. Next time you watch it, look for ceilings (typically soundstages have no ceilings), and the depth of focus in many scenes.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 29th, 2017 at 1:59:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ‘Dunkirk’ and the 70mm Experience:

But ultimately Dunkirk belongs to Nolan and cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema, who have crafted the rare film that positively demands to be seen on a large screen. The movie was shot entirely on large-format film (75 percent of it IMAX) and it is being released in 70-mm projection in a remarkable 125 theaters across the country. As George Miller did two years ago with Fury Road, Nolan has made the film using practical effects rather than CGI whenever possible—he even spent $5 million on a vintage Luftwaffe plane in order to crash it—and the difference is palpable. Rarely has the beauty of aerial flight (or the unpleasantness of its failure) been captured so vividly.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/dunkirk-70mm-projection-imax-christopher-nolan-1201857599/

I have yet to see an article about the discontinuity of lighting. Perhaps it is inevitable in the effort to reduce CGI effects.
July 29th, 2017 at 4:04:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
I have yet to see an article about the discontinuity of lighting..

I generally hate war movies and that
would ruin it for me. I waited 15 years
to see Saving Private Ryan and was
bored to tears. Battle scenes are
always so contrived to me. If you ever
see film of real battle scenes, they're
nothing like they show in the movies.
For one thing, there's always a lot
more smoke, and on a film set smoke
only obscures everything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 29th, 2017 at 6:35:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
real battle scenes, they're nothing like they show in the movies.
Real battles are chaotic, full of noise and confusion. Soldiers encounter body parts. I remember a war correspondent describing a platoon that was marching somewhere in France and encountered a man's thumb lying in the dirt track only to discover that it was a penis. One soldier had appropriated some Frenchman's bicycle and was tearing along the road when a German 88 shell took his head clear off and the bicycle continued along with the soldier's legs pedaling away and blood pumping from the neck straight up into the air for awhile. Keeping sane in such a situation can be difficult, Im sure. Throw lead at the enemy is fine, but one rarely sees the enemy so you throw lead at where the enemy might be. Confusion, disorientation, some quick deaths but very many slow ones. Recreating that on film must be difficult.

How do you show on film what an artillery crew goes thru when their firing orders cover 270 degrees. They know the enemy is enveloping their position but all they can do is keep loading shells in and firing them. No time to stop and chat with each other about being nearly surrounded and running low on ammunition.
July 29th, 2017 at 11:11:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
Citizen Kane is a cinematographic masterpiece.

There's another film by Orson Welles I liked. Had to look it up. "The Stranger."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 3rd, 2017 at 11:52:50 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Saw "The Dark Tower". Idris Elba is great as "The Gunslinger", but the story is a little incoherent as the motivations for various characters to behave like they do aren't always clear.

The film is based on a series of books that I haven't read, so maybe it was made with fans of the book series in mind.

I give it 666 out of 1919 portals.
August 4th, 2017 at 1:42:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Ayecarumba
Saw "The Dark Tower". Idris Elba is great as "The Gunslinger", but the story is a little incoherent.

I can't imagine seeing this without reading
the books first. Why is the gunslinger
black, he wasn't black in the books. It's
silly, why did they do it. Dark Tower is
a deeply insightful series of books,
impossible to make sense of in a movie.
I'm sure I will hate it.
August 4th, 2017 at 4:47:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Father of texting suicide victim 'used him as a pawn'.... so what? That is how all women use men.
Texting someone to kill themselves is hardly more effective as texting them to vote democratic or buy a loaf of bread.