What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 11th, 2017 at 12:56:01 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I just thought of a great example that still boggles my mind a month later.

Spider-Man: Homecoming has one of the worst blue screen background scenes I've seen in a long time.

When Tony Stark is lambasting Spider-Man high above NYC, this background looks sooooooooo fake and unnatural. Clearly shot indoors on a soundstage. For a $150+ million movie, I can't understand why it looks this shoddy.

It's this scene:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 13th, 2017 at 12:24:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Regarding the Gunslinger, I read the first couple of books many years ago and don't recall mention of the Gunslinger's race. My mental image of him was kind of like Shane. I shouldn't criticize a movie I haven't seen but the trailer for the movie did not seem like the slow-paced books. So many Stephen King adaptations are awful that my expectations are not high. I will say I like the actor who plays the Gunslinger. He was great in The Wire.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 13th, 2017 at 12:58:23 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
I will say I like the actor who plays the Gunslinger. He was great in The Wire.

Yup
Stringer was a great character in the Wire
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 13th, 2017 at 2:56:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Film Directors can get away with a great deal.

Example:
In the Heat of the Night (film) Chief Gillespie gets phone call at funeral home in Sparta, Mississippi in Summer.
Quick Cut: To Autumn afternoon with Harvie Oberst running from police dogs thru scads and scads of Fall foliage in Illinois.

Prime Cut: supposedly set in Kansas City but filmed in Canada for financial reasons filmed a Canadian faire and brought in one vendor to sell Kansas City memorabilia in an obviously extraneous cut.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: "I'm a lonesome polecat" axe ballet filmed on a set because director and producer knew the film would be lucky to break even and did not want to spend money to send cameras, crew and actors to a real snow scene. Film turned out to be a phenomenal money maker and astounded the studio.

Four Feathers: Arab army scene lifted entirely from a totally separate movie with different actors and clearly different lighting.

Charlie Chan: Two movies used exact same film and dialog for Charlie Chan meeting with leaders of The Tong.
August 13th, 2017 at 3:20:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Regarding the Gunslinger, I read the first couple of books many years ago and don't recall mention of the Gunslinger's race. .

It was never mentioned specifically, but King
went out of his way to talk about the
piercing blue eyes and resemblance to
Clint Eastwood in his spaghetti westerns.
That's about as white a stereotype as
you can get.

These are illustrations from the first edition
of the orig book. Roland was a white guy.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2017 at 3:37:07 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Film Directors can get away with a great deal.

Example:
In the Heat of the Night (film) Chief Gillespie gets phone call at funeral home in Sparta, Mississippi in Summer.
Quick Cut: To Autumn afternoon with Harvie Oberst running from police dogs thru scads and scads of Fall foliage in Illinois.

Prime Cut: supposedly set in Kansas City but filmed in Canada for financial reasons filmed a Canadian faire and brought in one vendor to sell Kansas City memorabilia in an obviously extraneous cut.

Stanley Kubrick Viet Nam movie, Full Metal Jacket
filmed in the UK
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 13th, 2017 at 4:37:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Stanley Kubrick Viet Nam movie, Full Metal Jacket
filmed in the UK

Every Science Fiction movie that takes place on other planets, or in spaceships, or both, all filmed on Earth.

Next!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 13th, 2017 at 7:01:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
It was never mentioned specifically, but King
went out of his way to talk about the
piercing blue eyes and resemblance to
Clint Eastwood in his spaghetti westerns.
That's about as white a stereotype as
you can get.

As long as his race isn't germane to the story, I don't care. Did it bother you when Morgan Freeman played "Red" in the Shawshank Redemption? I think think the story said he was called "Red" because of his hair. Didn't bother me and I rank it in my top ten movies ever.

To change the topic, I saw Baby Driver today. For an action movie -- quite good. Lots of plot twists. Definitely kept the audience on its seat. Special mention for Lily James. You may remember she played Cinderella a couple years ago. A great talent and very attractive. Definitely one of the best action movies I've seen in a while.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 13th, 2017 at 7:11:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Nareed
Every Science Fiction movie that takes place on other planets, or in spaceships, or both, all filmed on Earth.

Next!

So, was the actual Apollo moon landing (according to some)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 13th, 2017 at 7:53:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
As long as his race isn't germane to the story, I don't care. Did it bother you when Morgan Freeman played "Red" in the Shawshank Redemption? I think think the story said he was called "Red" because of his hair. Didn't bother me and I rank it in my top ten movies ever.

His character was Irish in both the book and the screenplay. They ended up casting Morgan Freeman, but they didn't want to change the name.