What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 19th, 2017 at 2:28:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I was never more disgusted with the papparazzi, than when I saw what they did to Cher during that eulogy.

Sonny had to be a father figure to
her. She was a 16 year old street
kid when he let her move in and they
didn't even screw around till she was
almost 18. He was 28. She said Sonny
always did what he set out to do, no
matter what it was. Even become a US
congressman. Their variety show in the
70's was hugely entertaining.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 19th, 2017 at 3:39:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Mosca
I enjoy musicals very much.

I have a big problem with musicals: The notion of people breaking into song, and choreographed dance, as naturally as they speak, is so utterly ridiculous it makes me laugh.

the one exception is with cartoons. They're already ridiculous, or rather unreal, that one more such thing is easy to accept. Thus I don't mind the occasional musical number in Futurama or The Simpsons, and I can watch the animated musicals Disney makes without laughing.

In movies, or plays, with real people, I tend to default to a line in "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings." In this Futurama ep, lots of characters sing when the Robot Devil interrupts Fry's opera. the line is, in song:

Professor Farnsworth: I can't believe the devil is so unforgiving.
Dr. Zoidberg: I can't believe everybody's just ad-libbing!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 19th, 2017 at 3:52:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I have a big problem with musicals: The notion of people breaking into song, and choreographed dance, as naturally as they speak, is so utterly ridiculous it makes me laugh.

the one exception is with cartoons. T

ONe of the best musicals of all time. After 25 years I still find it incredibly charming.
October 19th, 2017 at 3:52:54 PM permalink
Evenbob

Then you must think rhymed poetry
and opera is moronic. Wow, I
thought you were more sophisticated
than that. Silly me..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 19th, 2017 at 4:02:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
ONe of the best musicals of all time. After 25 years I still find it incredibly charming.

Not strictly cartoons, but it's animation. I liked it a lot.

But 25 is a very peculiar way to spell fifteen ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 19th, 2017 at 4:27:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
I was never more disgusted with the papparazzi, than when I saw what they did to Cher during that eulogy. They had to zoom in on the tears streaming down her face, and her bawling in terrible grief. No one needed to view that in such detail. Some things deserve to be private.

How did they get in?
Was this private?
When Jerry Garcia died, as arrangements were made, it was announced. No Deadheads. No Press.
Of course somebody like Bob Dylan was invited and he did attend
The only band Bob Dylan would consider opening for was the Grateful Dead and he opened a lot of shows.
I got to see Bob Dylan a lot live because he opened for my boys :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 19th, 2017 at 5:41:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
But 25 is a very peculiar way to spell fifteen ;)

Movie released 29 October 1993, so I guess it was 24 years ago.
October 19th, 2017 at 7:01:46 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22

the one exception is with cartoons. They're already ridiculous, or rather unreal, that one more such thing is easy to accept. Thus I don't mind the occasional musical number in Futurama or The Simpsons, and I can watch the animated musicals Disney makes without laughing.

In movies, or plays, with real people, I tend to default to a line in "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings." In this Futurama ep, lots of characters sing when the Robot Devil interrupts Fry's opera. the line is, in song:

Professor Farnsworth: I can't believe the devil is so unforgiving.
Dr. Zoidberg: I can't believe everybody's just ad-libbing!

All movies require suspension of disbelief and acceptance of narrative technique. Some people are more comfortable with certain styles and techniques than with others. I don’t care for slasher movies, I have no patience with them. The techniques used to build suspense are transparent to me. Sounds like you’re the same way with musicals.

Anyways, I judge musicals on their own terms. I feel like the director is saying that the whole thing is taking place in an alternate reality. My favorite era is the late ‘50s and early ‘60s: Mary Poppins, The King and I, The Music Man, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, West Side Story… that’s just off the top of my head. Great entertainment, all of them.
October 19th, 2017 at 7:04:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
How did they get in?
Was this private?
I don't recall, probably not with Sonny being such a public figure?

Have you watched "Long Strange Trip" on Amazon? It's a show on the Dead?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 19th, 2017 at 7:09:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Mosca
Anyways, I judge musicals on their own terms. I feel like the director is saying that the whole thing is taking place in an alternate reality. .

Exactly! Nareed misses the point by 180
degrees. It's not hard to believe they
break into song and dance in the world
being portrayed, it's how the writer is
communicating his story. It would be
ridiculous if they did that in Jaws or
Hang em High, those are a totally different
kind of story telling.

Musicals are an art form, a highly sophisticated
one if done correctly. It's why Guys and Dolls
and Grease are still performed today, and
still enjoyed by live audiences.