What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 23rd, 2017 at 4:11:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
they really should have stopped with T2.

I think T2 was only the third R rated film to make over $200m domestically, plus it made over $300m in the foreign box office. With those kind of numbers you don't stop.

chronological order

The Exorcist <============
Jaws
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
Return of the Jedi
Beverly Hills Cop <============
Ghostbusters
Back to the Future
Batman
Home Alone
Ghost
Beauty and the Beast
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
October 23rd, 2017 at 5:00:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I think T2 was only the third R rated film to make over $200m domestically, plus it made over $300m in the foreign box office. With those kind of numbers you don't stop.

Yes, and that's like seven trillion dollars adjusted for inflation.

The story was done. The time paradox was fixed (*). It was all finished. At an end.

The subsequent movies weren't as good. The third is a downer, saved a bit by the presence of Claire Danes. The fourth doesn't even bother keeping the timing straight.

The TV shows was good, but that's a subject for a different post.

(*) The paradox is that John Connor wouldn't have been born had Skynet not sent back the Arnold Terminator to kill his mother before he could be born. But also Skynet wouldn't have been made had Skynet not sent back a Terminator. This reverses causality as an effect is its own cause, and that can give you a headache.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 9th, 2017 at 6:30:38 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

It's "fine." Good production design and cinematography, well directed by Kenneth Branaugh. My main problem with the movie is.... why? It's been done so many times before. This version doesn't really add anything new.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 9th, 2017 at 7:34:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: ams288
Murder on the Orient Express (2017).... why? It's been done so many times before. This version doesn't really add anything new.
Its not supposed to add anything new; its supposed to make money. Someone had a few bucks and didn't want to bankroll yet another script about vampires or zombies so he decided to bankroll something that has made money in the past. Not particularly daring but then again at least its not more vampire nonsense.
November 9th, 2017 at 8:04:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Its not supposed to add anything new; its supposed to make money..

It better. Johnny Depp is broke, 4 of his houses
are in foreclosure. He spends 20% more than he
than he makes every year and that catches up
to you when it's in the millions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 9th, 2017 at 8:06:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Its not supposed to add anything new; its supposed to make money. Someone had a few bucks and didn't want to bankroll yet another script about vampires or zombies so he decided to bankroll something that has made money in the past. Not particularly daring but then again at least its not more vampire nonsense.

I didn't even know a remake was out
Make money? If I was investing, I would look to something more appealing to a younger generation
I'd be surprised if it earns money. Maybe done on small budget? Surprised this got remade

I just saw Baby Driver. Wow, great opening. Loved the 1st half of the movie, 2nd half over the top.
Very entertaining. Kevin Spacey was of course great. (fantastic actor, terrible human being. I wonder if he hit on Baby)

Saw Get Out
Due to the rotten tomatoes, expected a masterpiece.
Well, its not a masterpiece but it was pretty good.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 9th, 2017 at 8:10:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

It's "fine." Good production design and cinematography, well directed by Kenneth Branaugh. My main problem with the movie is.... why? It's been done so many times before. This version doesn't really add anything new.

This is the second English language movie, and there were two television versions. That is not overdone for a classic novel.

Heck, they did the Spider-man origin story three times in 15 years.
November 10th, 2017 at 12:42:41 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
Johnny Depp is broke, 4 of his houses are in foreclosure. He spends 20% more than he than he makes every year and that catches up to you when it's in the millions.
That's okay, he can always go and start over in Australia.
November 10th, 2017 at 12:46:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin
That is not overdone for a classic novel.
Heck, they did the Spider-man origin story three times in 15 years.
Classic novel versus Comic Book. I wonder which made more money.
November 10th, 2017 at 7:27:29 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Its not supposed to add anything new; its supposed to make money.

But my question is... will it make money? The estimates for the budget I can find online say it cost $55 million. I call B.S. on that. No way it was made for that cheap. The production value is too high and there is more CGI than you'd expect (mostly backgrounds and shots of the train barreling through various terrains).

I just don't see this period piece with characters speaking in funny accents appealing to the younger crowd. Reviews have been mixed-to-positive. We will see how word-of-mouth ends up being.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman