Evenbob
Threads: 146
One of the great film noir movies
is Touch of Evil, 1958. Orson Wells
at his fattest and finest. Charleton
Heston, Janet Leigh, Marlene
Dietrich. It's really creepy, and very
good.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 19th, 2017 at 5:49:24 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Ha ha, very funny. I'll never see it,
even when it's free. I still haven't
gotten over that I saw Wonder
Woman, ick. Never again..

I can't get over the fact that EB is still pretending that he went to the theater and saw Wonder Woman.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 19th, 2017 at 7:31:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: ams288
I can't get over the fact that EB is still pretending that he went to the theater and saw Wonder Woman.
Perhaps he meant he saw a movie featuring a character named Wonder Woman.
November 19th, 2017 at 7:31:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I just long for the return of real movies, not movies aimed at twelve year old Chinese audiences or the like.
November 19th, 2017 at 7:55:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
I just long for the return of real movies, not movies aimed at twelve year old Chinese audiences or the like.

Like Wonder Woman? Saw 'Spotlight' again,
god I hate the Catholic Church.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 20th, 2017 at 2:01:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

In 2014, an R rated serious drama, American Sniper, surprised everyone by being the highest grossing film in the domestic audience. American Sniper had limited appeal to teenage audience.

But in terms of worldwide gross, American Sniper was ranked #13 with the top film driven by the twelve year old Chinese audience.

Transformers: Age of Extinction
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Guardians of the Galaxy
Maleficent
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Interstellar
Big Hero 6
How to Train Your Dragon 2
American Sniper

The world population between the ages of 10 and 29 is 2400 million people. That is 10X the adult population (age 20 and up) in the USA (244 million). Most adults only go to a handful of movies per year, and those that do often go with their children.
November 20th, 2017 at 6:39:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
While American Sniper may have focused on interpersonal dynamics and effect on family life, it was a 'shoot 'em up' movie which would be quite of interest to the younger set.
November 20th, 2017 at 8:00:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Saw Justice League.

I think if you are going to that type of movie this is ok, not great. My GF loved Aquaman. I love Wonder Woman. Go figure....
November 20th, 2017 at 3:46:03 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Don't they make no film noir no more?

All nights are rainy, all alleys are dead ends, all cops are on the take, all dames are gin-soaked temptresses that lead a man to his doom. Most of all, blood spills onto a white carpet, not into some vampire's mouth.

Caught a good one last night: Kill The Irishman, the true story of Danny Greene, a mobster in Cleveland in the '70s.

Noir today isn't so much about rainy nights and dead end alleys, but it is still noir. This is a pretty dark tale. The motif is cars. Don't get in one.
November 20th, 2017 at 9:00:24 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: ams288
But my question is... will it make money? The estimates for the budget I can find online say it cost $55 million. I call B.S. on that. No way it was made for that cheap. The production value is too high and there is more CGI than you'd expect (mostly backgrounds and shots of the train barreling through various terrains).

I just don't see this period piece with characters speaking in funny accents appealing to the younger crowd. Reviews have been mixed-to-positive. We will see how word-of-mouth ends up being.

Welp, I was wrong here. Murder on the Orient Express has been successful enough that Fox has officially greenlit Death on the Nile as the follow-up.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman