What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 20th, 2017 at 10:42:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
Welp, I was wrong here. Murder on the Orient Express has been successful enough that Fox has officially greenlit Death on the Nile as the follow-up.

So far it has been the 5th highes grossing adult non-animated film worldwide this year
Dunkirk
Fifty Shades Darker
Split
A Dog's Purpose
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

The industry still needs some films like this that can at least break even in the box office. There is still a big market in streaming, television, DVD sales, pay per view, etc.

There has to be some films for grown ups that survive the theatrical release.
November 21st, 2017 at 8:13:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
About Justice League:

When Wonder Woman ends with Ares dead, I wondered "well, what do the Amazons do now?" After all, the mission they were assigned by Zeus has been completed. So in this movie we find out they were also guarding one of the McGuffin Boxes. Fair enough.

Now the question is: what other terrible artifact, portal, wormhole, secret passageway, inter-dimensional doorway, etc. are they still guarding now?

And shouldn't they be offered a seat at the U.N. and membership in NATO?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 21st, 2017 at 9:01:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
More SPOILER thoughts on The Justice League:

SPOILERS AHEAD

YADDA, YADDA, YADDA...

YADDA.

So the first time Steppenwolf tried to destroy/take over the world, he was confronted by:

1) The Amazons
2) The Atlanteans
3) All the tribes of Man
4) At least several Olympian gods
5) At least one Green Lantern

This time it's Batman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and Superman. And somehow that's enough.

You know, a movie about the first try would have been a lot better.

If they want to reboot the Green Lantern in the movies, they should totally set the movie in ancient times. Hell, set in the middle of the Trojan War. After Abin Sur is killed, his ring can choose Hector to carry on.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 21st, 2017 at 11:09:06 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
About Justice League:
When Wonder Woman ends with Ares dead, I wondered "well, what do the Amazons do now?"

I'd kill myself because as an adult I'm
spending time wondering why
cartoon characters do things.

Good grief.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2017 at 12:25:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Pacomartin
The movie "It" is at $266,338,881 domestic revenue for day 17.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was about there at day 21-22

So "It" is almost certain to beat Spiderman, in a triumph for R-rated Horror fans.

I suspect that studios play games with the box office

"It" was pulled out of most of the theaters, so it will end up grossing less than "Spider-Man: Homecoming". I don't know if that is politics. The other possible reason is that the chains didn't book the film for that long, because nobody expected an R rated horror film to sell so many tickets.

It may have been perfectly logical to book Spiderman in more than 1000 theaters for 12 weeks, while "It" was booked in more than 1000 theaters for only 9 weeks. In either case a movie can't sell tickets if it isn't playing.

The funny thing is that Spiderman was released onto DVD after 102 days and "It" is being released after 123 day of box office opening. So in theory you should be able to leave "It" in the theater longer.
November 25th, 2017 at 1:04:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I suspect that studios play games with the box office

Maybe the studios don't really care that much about theater profits when they know they can continue to successfully move a hit movie like "It" by word of mouth. The lowest key, least expensive and probably most successful tool ever, if one can get it going.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 25th, 2017 at 2:57:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
Maybe the studios don't really care that much about theater profits when they know they can continue to successfully move a hit movie like "It" by word of mouth.

http://www.primacinema.com/what-is-prima-cinema/
Prima Cinema is for people willing to spend $500 to see a movie at home the day it comes out in theaters. And these are not the top films. So a studio could probably make more money by selling streaming versions of a film for $50 after 4 weeks in a theater.

But the movie chains won't tolerate it.
With Spiderman-Homecoming which is almost certain to be a hit they plan on having it out on DVD in 14 weeks and 4 days.
With It they release it on DVD in 17 weeks and 4 days.

Logically since "It" is coming out 3 weeks later on DVD they have more time in the theaters. However, they pulled "It" out of a significant number of theaters 3 weeks earlier.
November 25th, 2017 at 3:08:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
http://www.primacinema.com/what-is-prima-cinema/
Prima Cinema is for people willing to spend $500 to see a movie at home the day it comes out in theaters. And these are not the top films. So a studio could probably make more money by selling streaming versions of a film for $50 after 4 weeks in a theater.

But the movie chains won't tolerate it.
With Spiderman-Homecoming which is almost certain to be a hit they plan on having it out on DVD in 14 weeks and 4 days.
With It they release it on DVD in 17 weeks and 4 days.

Logically since "It" is coming out 3 weeks later on DVD they have more time in the theaters. However, they pulled "It" out of a significant number of theaters 3 weeks earlier.

Well, I guess they want as many theater seats filled all the time. A good movie may fill them at first, but that becomes less and less, so they start a new movie which fills more seats. That's my new guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 25th, 2017 at 3:32:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
However, they pulled "It" out of a significant number of theaters 3 weeks earlier.

Because logically not many will want
to see s scary movie during the holidays.
But they will buy the DVD as a gift.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2017 at 6:49:17 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Surely one of the year's best films.

It's funny. It's dark. It's sad. I loved it.

Frances McDormand is great as always. But Sam Rockwell really steals the show. Hopefully he will be in the running for Best Supporting Actor this year...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman