What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 27th, 2018 at 12:28:02 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Saw “Hostiles”. It’s a western with a character study on revenge/violence/war akin to “Unforgiven” or “Dances With Wolves”. The story is very well written, but potential viewers need to know that there are many scenes of extended dialogue interspersed among a few shootouts. The sets, costumes, and cinematography are first rate, giving the film a stark realism. It also gives the violence depicted in the film more impact. There are shootings of children, folks shot with arrows, and a scalping. Corpses are depicted in various states of decay. A body is hanging from a tree.

With so much attention to detail, the only thing spoiling the illusion is the lead actress’ jarringly perfect white teeth (it is set in 1890’s New Mexico).

If you enjoy movies with a message, and can stomach the violence, this film is for you.

I give it 8 ponytails out of 10.
January 27th, 2018 at 5:50:29 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
I give it 8 ponytails out of 10.
Or perhaps 8 scalps out of 10?

I'm all for realism in movies but if you pay a fortune for some famous starlet its hard to insist that they be depicted with too much realism.
I'd like to see vocabulary that fit the times, arrows aimed at knees and elbows, scalpings well before the victim is dead, pistols in belts, not holsters, etc.
January 27th, 2018 at 1:23:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
I'd like to see vocabulary that fit the times, arrows aimed at knees and elbows, scalpings well before the victim is dead, pistols in belts, not holsters, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, the movie is mostly dialogue interspersed with brief scenes of action. The action however, is pretty graphic. If you enjoyed/appreciated “There Will Be Blood”, you will like this film. It has the same vibe. The soundtrack is very well done too. Christian Bale has a tendency to mumble some of his lines, but I appreciate that the pace of the film matches the rhythm of life at the time, and the characters are well developed, with both good and bad traits.
January 27th, 2018 at 1:52:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
If you enjoyed/appreciated “There Will Be Blood”,.
Don't think its made cable yet.
January 27th, 2018 at 2:46:59 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Fleastiff
Don't think its made cable yet.

It came out in 2007. If it hasn't made cable yet, it never will.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 27th, 2018 at 10:04:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just saw Three Billboards. Liked it but didn't love it. I can't fault the movie for anything. The reason I only liked it was there was not one redeeming character in the whole movie, except maybe the guy who worked for the advertising agency and the second police chief*. The movie was a good study on revenge but an even better movie on that subject matter is Relatos Salvajes, which may go by the translated name Wild Tales. I think Paco urged me to see it, and if so, it was a great suggestion.

This movie is the front runner for Best Picture in the Academy Awards. It must not have been a strong year for movies if this is the best one. Again, not saying it's bad, but not the epic that would expect of a Best Picture Award.

* Please accept my apology if this comes as a spoiler.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 29th, 2018 at 6:32:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I broke my streak and watched a nominee for best picture, "Darkest Hour."

It was mostly ok, but I think the movie fails to show the mood and feel of a country at war. from what we see, the war may as well not exist outside of Churchill's war cabinet, and perhaps outside Buckingham palace.

I wonder about historical accuracy, too. Were Halifax and Chamberlain so intent in toppling Churchill? Did Churchill fly to France early in the war? but most of all, did men really held on to their lapels so often? And is it the custom to kiss the king's hand?

All that said, performances were first rate all around. In particular the actor who played the king did a great job.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 29th, 2018 at 11:58:00 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Lady Bird: It was okay, neither Mrs nor I understood all the hype.

I, Tonya: We both enjoyed it. Although it is about the Harding saga, the real purpose of the movie is to explore the nature of truth and narrative. Harding never confessed to anything, but everyone has their minds made up on whether she was involved or not.
January 29th, 2018 at 12:00:13 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
Just saw Three Billboards. Liked it but didn't love it. I can't fault the movie for anything. The reason I only liked it was there was not one redeeming character in the whole movie, except maybe the guy who worked for the advertising agency and the second police chief*. The movie was a good study on revenge but an even better movie on that subject matter is Relatos Salvajes, which may go by the translated name Wild Tales. I think Paco urged me to see it, and if so, it was a great suggestion.

This movie is the front runner for Best Picture in the Academy Awards. It must not have been a strong year for movies if this is the best one. Again, not saying it's bad, but not the epic that would expect of a Best Picture Award.

* Please accept my apology if this comes as a spoiler.

Not even the Harrelson character? I saw him as honorable enough.
January 29th, 2018 at 1:03:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mosca
Not even the Harrelson character? I saw him as honorable enough.

That was probably my favorite performance in the movie. He tried to do the right thing in the last days of his life but you can't overlook that he was in charge of a worthless police department.

The worst character was Dixon, although he too tried to right some wrongs towards the end.

I am not sure if the audience was supposed to like or sympathize with Mildred. I certainly did not. She caused nothing but pain and suffering of others due to the billboards. The fact of the matter was it was a stone cold case. I doubt the police department worked on it very hard but it I took it that they had no leads and nothing to work off of.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber