What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 29th, 2018 at 6:44:09 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
What was your take on the ending? My interpretation was that Mildred finally realized that it had gone too far and to let it go. In other words, on the way to Idaho she would call the whole thing off. Then probably go back home and take the billboard down or just let them expire or get torched again.

I agree. They were going to murder someone as retaliation for a different murder.
January 29th, 2018 at 7:20:59 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Mosca
I agree. They were going to murder someone as retaliation for a different murder.

Maybe it’s time for spoiler tags? Many haven’t seen this small film yet... like me.
January 29th, 2018 at 7:39:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
Maybe it’s time for spoiler tags? Many haven’t seen this small film yet... like me.

Sorry, you're right.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 29th, 2018 at 10:16:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Ayecarumba

They can spoil every movie, I don't care.
I never watch because of the ending,
I watch because of the acting and
cinematography. It's why we see the
same movie a dozen times in 10 years.
We know how it ends and it doesn't
matter.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 30th, 2018 at 6:41:27 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
They can spoil every movie, I don't care.
I never watch because of the ending,
I watch because of the acting and
cinematography. It's why we see the
same movie a dozen times in 10 years.
We know how it ends and it doesn't
matter.

I watch a movie to enjoy a story. If I notice the acting or cinematography, then the movie is trying too hard to impress me. If you notice the acting, then it's not good acting.

Now, I will say that after I've seen a good movie a few times, then, yes, I'll start to appreciate some of the details in the movie making I missed the first few times.
January 30th, 2018 at 6:59:51 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Spoiler free guaranteed.
I thought it was outstanding. If you need heroes and villains with sharply drawn edges, Three Billboards might not be for you. No one is without major flaws, but no one, no matter how despicable, is dehumanized. I don't think it's about revenge so much as healing and grace. Not really forgiveness but a sort of human kindness whether the kindness has been earned or not.

Oh, and 50 bonus points for including Texas legend Townes Van Zandt in the soundtrack.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 30th, 2018 at 7:10:30 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Spoiler free guaranteed.
I thought it was outstanding. If you need heroes and villains with sharply drawn edges, Three Billboards might not be for you. No one is without major flaws, but no one, no matter how despicable, is dehumanized. I don't think it's about revenge so much as healing and grace. Not really forgiveness but a sort of human kindness whether the kindness has been earned or not.

I have not seen the movie
But I heard Peter Drinklage has a part
His role in Game of Thrones is great. An important character that just happens to be a dwarf :-)
I hear in 3 billboards, he simply plays a dwarf :-(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2018 at 10:29:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
If you notice the acting, then it's not good acting.

Not true. I'm always aware of good acting
because most of it is so bad. Why do you
think they give awards for acting, because
good acting is rare and not easy. A good
actor will steal every scene no matter how
small his part is because he stands out
against the others.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 30th, 2018 at 4:05:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: terapined
I hear in 3 billboards, he simply plays a dwarf :-(

He has a good ten minutes or so of screen time. He plays a character so totally different from the one in Game of Thrones and the Station Agent but does so perfectly.
January 30th, 2018 at 4:35:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
They say that actors really appreciate performances where you don't speak. It is extremely demanding to captivate someone without even talking.