What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 2nd, 2018 at 2:24:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
I thought the 1st Jumanji was very very entertaining. Watched it several times
I loved it

It's just one animal stampede in suburbia after another.

the other day I casually mentioned to a coworker that "The Fifth Element" ranks near the bottom of the worst big SF movies ever made, and it turned out to be his favorite movie.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 2nd, 2018 at 2:37:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
It's just one animal stampede in suburbia after another.

Jumanji was one of the stupidist movies
ever made. I can't believe I lasted 30 min.
Robin Williams made a lot of truly awful
movies.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 2nd, 2018 at 3:55:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
I saw Jumanji and I had no idea who she was until the end credits. I only knew her as Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy prior to that.

Her first American TV project was a "My Fair Lady" knockoff which was not predicted to last more than 13 episodes. It lived up to predictions.

The first Dr Who companion was his supposed to be his own granddaughter. She starred in the show from 1963-1964

When the show was revived in 2005, the Doctor would tend to fall in unrequited love with his companions, and the Doctor was obviously played by a much younger actor. Karen was the first to play a companion with a kittenish sex appeal appropriate to a family show.

The 13th Doctor Who has been cast as a woman, so it is not clear if she is going to take male companions
February 3rd, 2018 at 6:35:41 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
**Three Billboards spoilers***

Quote: Wizard
What was your take on the ending? My interpretation was that Mildred finally realized that it had gone too far and to let it go. In other words, on the way to Idaho she would call the whole thing off. Then probably go back home and take the billboard down or just let them expire or get torched again.

I agree. The theme was "anger begets greater anger." Mildred realized this late in the movie. I don't think she actually went through with killing that guy.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 3rd, 2018 at 9:11:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just saw I, Tonya. I highly recommend it. It's a different style of movie making than usual. Lots of breaking the fourth wall. Very edgy. Very engaging of the audience. The skating scenes were very well done and realistic. All due credit to Margot Robbie for doing most of her own skating in the movie. I thought the way the movie handled the fact that everybody involved still has a different version of key events. They basically shot those key moments multiple times, according to who was telling the story. Sometimes using a split screen. It was also nice to find get the story of what actually happened. Before seeing the movie I still wasn't sure who attacked Nancy Kerrigan and what Tonya had to do with it. The OJ murders happened as the dust was still settling over the Tonya story so it got forgotten by the media. At least that is how I recall it. To conclude, I don't think I've enjoyed a recent movie as much since Lion.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 3rd, 2018 at 9:28:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Before seeing the movie I still wasn't sure who attacked Nancy Kerrigan and what Tonya had to do with it. The OJ murders happened as the dust was still settling over the Tonya story so it got forgotten by the media. At least that is how I recall it.

Tonya Harding followed by OJ murders, 22 weeks later

It's an interesting chronology in your memory. Tonya Harding case was not even a murder trial. I am not sure if the Tonya Harding case could have remained front page news for more than a few months anyway.

Of course, when Lindsay Lohan was sentenced to 90 days in jail and 90 days in rehab for repeatedly violating the terms of her probation (following two arrests for drunk driving in 2007). TMZ.com attracted a record number of viewers when 2.3 million people logged on to watch the verdict stream live from the courtroom on July 7, 2010. If you think about it, a drunk driving sentencing is actually pretty routine court action. It's not like LL invented bad celebrity behavior.
February 3rd, 2018 at 10:57:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Both pictures of Margot Robbie. Tonya. She apparently had facial prosthetics on here.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2018 at 9:25:23 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I thought the way the movie handled the fact that everybody involved still has a different version of key events.

One of my favorite scenes was Tonya chasing Gilooley through the house with a shotgun. She then turns to the camera and shouts, "This NEVER happened!" Then she turns and pumps off another shot.

Don't trust anyone's narrative in this really wickedly good film.
February 5th, 2018 at 11:47:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mosca
One of my favorite scenes was Tonya chasing Gilooley through the house with a shotgun. She then turns to the camera and shouts, "This NEVER happened!" Then she turns and pumps off another shot.

Don't trust anyone's narrative in this really wickedly good film.

Amen, brother! They handled the different versions of events with great humor and, I think, fairness. As time passes since the movie, I'm looking back on it with more and more appreciation. I may even see it again in the theater, which is something I rarely do. The last time was for Ex Machina. Promethius would have been worthy too, but I never got around to going back.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 5th, 2018 at 1:48:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Heck I never understood what happened in that Japanese movie of eons ago wherein there are three different viewpoints... still don't know what actually happened except I think Toshiro Mifune became a star.