What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 27th, 2018 at 8:55:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've seen Natalie Portman in lots of movies.
I still think she did her best work at 15 in
Beautiful Girls. She was fabulous in that
film, and I haven't thought of her that
way since.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 28th, 2018 at 1:35:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Anyone here see Force Majeure a Swedish film about a husband who saves himself on a ski lodge observation deck during a controlled avalanche but must thereafter face the consequences of having abandoned his wife and children during what turned out to be only the disorienting smoke of the controlled avalanche?
February 28th, 2018 at 1:35:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Natalie Portman? I think her first film was as a girl who attaches herself to an uneducated hitman in NYC. Always compare everyone of her roles to that film.
February 28th, 2018 at 8:51:19 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
May I just give.a shout out to Aye. His rating system is my single favorite thing on.this board. Always a little delight in finding out his objet d'jour.

Xoxoxo.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 28th, 2018 at 10:36:28 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: beachbumbabs
. Always a little delight in finding out his objet d'jour.
Yeah, phosphorous grenades much more memorable than rotten tomatoes.
February 28th, 2018 at 11:40:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
The “shimmer” prevents radio communication in or out of the affected area. However, electronic devices, like video cameras, work fine. That being the case, why not take a phone with a long cord? This obvious strategy makes the decision to send multiple teams into Area X, even though no one comes back, seem really dumb.

If there is radio communication within the affected area, all you need is a relay at the edge of the are with a short cord.

I'll pass along some advice: the answer to the question "Why didn't they do X?" in any movie is: Because otherwise there'd have been no movie.

Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 28th, 2018 at 5:01:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Natalie Portman? I think her first film was as a girl who attaches herself to an uneducated hitman in NYC. Always compare everyone of her roles to that film.

It was just on the other night. An incredible movie ( Leon: The Professional ). Gary Oldman is spectacular!
February 28th, 2018 at 5:09:11 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin
It was just on the other night
I missed it, but I'm told she never had to do multiple takes in that movie.

Though I think that hitman was best as a lead character in The Ronin, unless I've got my films mixed up.

Just recently found out that Stalag 17 was shot in chronological order so that the actors did not have access to the final scenes but only received the final pages of the script near the end of the filming. This was done to prevent any actor from 'telegraphing' the identity of the culprit by some subtle interaction in front of the camera. Sometimes directors are sneaky.
February 28th, 2018 at 6:33:46 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Recently:

Annihilation

I highly enjoyed about 85% of it. It kind of lost me at the end when it goes off the wall. Overall I'd recommend it though because it's refreshing to gets dark, adult-targeted sci fi movie.

Game Night

I really liked this. It's a mainstream studio comedy, but it's much more clever than the usual fare. And Rachel McAdams is always great.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 28th, 2018 at 7:36:02 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
It was just on the other night. An incredible movie ( Leon: The Professional ). Gary Oldman is spectacular!

Wow, that was Natalie Portman. Did not know that
The Professional was a really great movie
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"