What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 10th, 2018 at 8:20:14 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Forgot theDeerHunter and Midnight Express under never watch again.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 10th, 2018 at 9:08:34 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Movie I will stop and watch any time I find it: Tombstone
March 10th, 2018 at 10:06:16 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Mosca
Movie I will stop and watch any time I find it: Tombstone

Well chosen.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 11th, 2018 at 7:56:00 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: beachbumbabs
Forgot theDeerHunter and Midnight Express under never watch again.

The Deer Hunter was the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. You'll think I'm making this up. Around 1982 The Deer Hunter ran uncut and uninterrupted on broadcast TV on non-network independent channels. Never heard of anything like that before or since. I have no idea why it was done.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 11th, 2018 at 8:39:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I always thought it was disjointed. Pennsylvania working class and then suddenly penned prisoners in a river.
I never did understand why the one guy continued with the Russian Roulette when he didn't need to.
March 12th, 2018 at 10:48:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You mean the big star power of
Opie couldn't save this turkey?
They sure advertised the living
crap out of it, good grief. They
only do that when they know a
movie is a dog..

Powered in equal parts by stars Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon along with Walt Disney’s mighty publicity machine, director Ana Duvernay’s Wrinkle In Time debuted to an anemic $33 million over the weekend.

This lackluster opening puts Wrinkle in the same league as other Disney stinkers such as George Clooney’s Tomorrowland, Meryl Streep’s Into the Woods, John Carter, and Prince of Persia. Only Into the Woods would go on to break $100 million domestic ($128 million).
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 12th, 2018 at 12:09:04 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
They sure advertised the living
crap out of it, good grief. They
only do that when they know a
movie is a dog..

Huh? If they know the movie is a dog, they're not gonna spend as many millions on advertising as they would if they knew they had a huge hit on their hands (*coughBLACKPANTHERcough*).

The movie is a disappointment. Reviews were clearly not as good as Disney had hoped. But to say they only advertise a lot when they know they have a dog on their hands is...... wrong.

I personally have no interest in seeing it. But to see an old white Trump supporter making stuff up to bash it is.... interesting.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 12th, 2018 at 3:01:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Huh? If they know the movie is a dog, they're not gonna spend as many millions on advertising as they would if they knew they had a huge hit on their hands (*coughBLACKPANTHERcough*).

Rumor had it when one of the (relatively) recent big budget Godzilla movies came out and early testing had it be a bomb, the studio increased advertising in order to have a good opening weekend anyway. You know, before word of mouth could kill it.

That said, all big budget movies have HUGE advertising budgets (it goes along with the whole "big budget" thing). This applies even to sure-fire hits with a built-in fan base, like the Star Wars movies.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 13th, 2018 at 2:20:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Rumor had it when one of the (relatively) recent big budget Godzilla movies came out and early testing had it be a bomb, the studio increased advertising in order to have a good opening weekend anyway. You know, before word of mouth could kill it.

In 2014 Godzilla earned $93.2 million in the first 3 days and $107.5 million for the rest of it's run . A strong sign of a movie with a good promotion budget but bad word of mouth.

Wonder Woman earned $103 million in the first 3 days and $309 million for the rest of it's run (over 20 weeks). Those are some of the best legs in recent years.

The studio has not given up on Godzilla as anime versions of Godzilla are being released on Netflix. For the sequel to be released in theaters in March 2019, Stranger Things' Millie Bobby Brown has been added to the cast. Sally Hawkins star turn in The Shape of Water might help as she is returning to the film
March 13th, 2018 at 11:19:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
More signs that Wrinkle is a turkey. Critics
bent over backwards to give it a break
because it has a black woman director.
That still only gave it 43% on Rotten, with
viewer reviews in the 30's. If you didn't
read the book, apparently you have no
idea what this movie is about. It's that
confusing.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_wrinkle_in_time_2018/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.