What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 19th, 2018 at 12:56:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I always think of Peter Boyle as "Joe" some movie I recall only vaguely but remember the working man type who gets involved in the drug world to search for his missing daughter but in preventing some punks from ripping off his stash, he shoots his daughter.
March 19th, 2018 at 1:08:52 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
I always think of Peter Boyle as "Joe" some movie I recall only vaguely but remember the working man type who gets involved in the drug world to search for his missing daughter but in preventing some punks from ripping off his stash, he shoots his daughter.

The movies I remember him in
The Candidate
Taxi Driver
Hardcore
Outland
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 19th, 2018 at 1:43:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I always think of Peter Boyle as "Joe" some movie I recall

Watch 'Outland', that's a typical character
he played, an ahole boss. Or a crooked
boss.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2018 at 3:49:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Tomorrowland. Not a bad movie, great Disney
production values, a suck ass story. But in
the first hour, you don't even know what
that story is, you don't have a clue what
the thing is even about. They do such a kick
ass job with the effects that you don't care.

Why is Clooney in this? He looks totally out
of place, like he did in Gravity. It's like
having Cary Grant star in Mary Poppins.
Clooney keeps taking parts he looks ridiculous
in, why is that. He's a rom/com guy, a James
Bond spy guy. His mature good looks are
goofy in a movie like this.

Cary Grant did something similar in the last movie
he made, Father Goose. A decent film, he
looks totally out of place in it. Fred MacMurray
would have been perfect in Father Goose. Or
Ernest Borgnine.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2018 at 4:20:09 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
Cary Grant did something similar in the last movie he made, Father Goose. A decent film, he looks totally out of place in it. Fred MacMurray would have been perfect in Father Goose. Or Ernest Borgnine.
I would not have called it a "decent movie' at all, but as to Cary Grant I assumed that he needed the money.
March 19th, 2018 at 4:24:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
I would not have called it a "decent movie' at all,

It's a family movie, and has little kids
in it. For what it was, it's a decent
example.
March 19th, 2018 at 9:07:26 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I would not have called it a "decent movie' at all, but as to Cary Grant I assumed that he needed the money.

I loved that movie when I was a kid.
March 19th, 2018 at 10:29:00 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
“Tomb Raider” (2018) - This is the first in what appears to be a series of films that hope to reboot the Angelina Jolie version that premiered in 2001. The new Lara Croft is played by Alicia Vikander. She does a good job in a very physical role that doesn’t require much acting, but a lot of being chased or MMA action. The writers made some interesting choices, making the story “smaller” (there are fewer characters and locations than the 2001 version), and the Lara Croft character more realistic (I remember seeing the Angelina Jolie version and wondering if her lips would get their own end credits since they got so much screen time). Vikander’s Lara is vulnerable, using her smarts rather than an endless supply of bullets to solve problems. The character is a lot like the heroine in the first “Hunger Games”.

It’s a shame the quest wasn’t thought out a bit more, as its resolution is confusing...
Why do some die while others live? It isn’t explained.
Also, much of the movie takes place in dark places. Maybe it’s the projector in the theater I was in, but it was difficult to follow the action when everything was dimly lit. If you don’t mind your heroes making poor decisions sometimes, and can put up with a few large gaps in a story universe that purports to be more realistic, you will find this film a fine escape, and closer to the video game than the Angelina Jolie version.

I give it 7 ice axes out of 10. If you see it, be sure to go to a theater that doesn’t skimp on refreshing their projector bulbs. It makes a big difference to this film.
March 22nd, 2018 at 2:50:31 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
"Ready Player One"- Stephen Spielberg directs this pop culture/teen/video gamer targeted treasure hunt film that spends 90% of the screen time following computer generated avatars on their quests to solve puzzles and find keys within the massive multi-player virtual world known as the "Oasis". The first to find the three hidden keys in the virtual world is rewarded with ownership and control of the "Oasis" in the real world (which is apparently worth billions of dollars). Those of a certain age might think, "Didn't I see enough video game stories in 'Tron', 'The Last Starfighter', or 'Ender's Game'?" And those of another certain age might think, "Didn't I see this plot in 'Willie Wonka and Chocolate Factory'...twice?" There may also be those who recall similar VR plots in "Westworld", "Brainstorm", "Total Recall", "Surrogates" and even "Avatar"? Completing trials to claim something of value, or putting on a disguise to act anonymously are ancient dramatic devices, so I can't fault the writer for a less than original plot with a 21st century, near future spin. But who needs a fresh story when the production is so technically excellent. It is so good, that the film is worth seeing for the technical prowess of the animation alone.

Don't get me wrong, While there seems to always be a few holes, I enjoy Spielberg's sensibilities in his films. There is always a sense of wonder at the unknown in his universe. Bravery, friendship and loyalty are valued. Hero's selflessly sacrifice for the greater good. There is a life lesson to take away when the house lights come up, but I've already seen it in "Jaws", "Goonies", "Jurassic Park", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", etc. What makes this film stand out is that "Ready Player One" has epic sequences that you have never seen on film before.

In the past, companies would be reluctant to share their creative properties with other productions, fearing that someone else would profit at their expense or ruin their character's marketability. Times have changed, as this film contains licensed characters from at least 15 different companies, probably more. I would not be surprised if some of the owners even payed to have their characters included. The different characters freely interact. So if, like in the classic film "Stand By Me", you ever asked something similar to, "If Superman and Mighty Mouse got into a fight, who would win?" this film might have an answer for you. Beyond the characters, there are shot for shot homages to other films that appear effortless, but had to be technically stupefying. The end result is amazing to watch. The gaming nerds in the preview screening I attended were so giddy, they jabbered all the way through the end credits.

I give it 8 Atari 2600 cartridges out of 10. It's unfortunate that the dialog contains so much cursing (in my opinion, all of it unnecessary), that parents of kids aged through young teens should seriously consider passing. Those who do choose to see it should go to the biggest screen possible. This is one of the small number of films that I could justify paying the upcharge for a premium presentation like IMAX or Dolby ATMOS.
March 22nd, 2018 at 3:23:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
"Didn't I see enough video game stories in 'Tron', 'The Last Starfighter', or 'Ender's Game'?"

The domestic (USA and Canada) box office in 2017 was $11 billion while the US video game industry reached $37 billion.

Disney's Revenue last year by segment
$23.5 billion Media Networks
$18.4 billion Parks and Resorts
$8.4 billion Studio Entertainment (more than 50% from foreign market)
$4.8 billion Consumer Products & Interactive Media

So you may have seen the story before, but long term creative efforts to unite gaming with film and television will continue as long as there is that much money at stake.

The urge to tie-in movies and video games comes and goes. Prior to 2012 there had been twelve so call "billion dollar movie", but in 2012 was the first time four more were added to the list. One reviewer noted that what was strange is that none of them were tied in with games.
1 Marvel's The Avengers BV
2 Skyfall Sony
3 The Dark Knight Rises WB
4 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB (NL)

A few years a TV series called Defiance aired on Syfy. It was one of the most aggressive video game tie ins ever attempted, so that if you were watching the series you almost felt like you were watching people play a video game. It only lasted 38 episodes.

The reboot of Laura Croft tomb raider is earning 80% of revenue overseas. It seems to suffer from the urge to have an actress who is made to look like a real athletic woman, rather than Angelina Jolie who was made up to look more like the actual video game character.