What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 23rd, 2018 at 2:08:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin

Top earning animated films (domestic box office)
1 Finding Dory
2 Shrek 2
3 The Lion King
105 The Emperor's New Groove
106 The Emoji Movie
107 Pokemon: The First Movie
Okay. Quibble Time: I don't think domestic box office is a good yardstick because I imagine some foreign cultures such as Japan with all their anime stuff are simply used to watching cartoons.
I think you should segregate the 'crossover' movies of things like 'who framed roger rabbit'.
Are such mixed computer and live actor movies legal in China? I thought at one time China banned them.

I'm quite surprised the list reached such a high number.
March 23rd, 2018 at 12:28:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Okay. Quibble Time: I don't think domestic box office is a good yardstick because I imagine some foreign cultures such as Japan with all their anime stuff are simply used to watching cartoons.

There are huge animated films in Japan and other animated films that are huge in the USA/Canada.

I think you should segregate the 'crossover' movies of things like 'who framed roger rabbit'.
Are such mixed computer and live actor movies legal in China? I thought at one time China banned them.
I'm quite surprised the list reached such a high number.

My purpose in posting the list was to say that even if we consider animated films, video game crossovers do not necessarily make hit movies.

Studios would love to have a series of movies that made money like superhero movies and spawned an orgy of cash spent on a series of video games.

Disney makes a fortune on product tie ins with their Disney Princesses

I know they made a Wreck it Ralph video game, but I don't think it was a massive success.
March 23rd, 2018 at 1:57:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
No, I did not mean "video game crossovers''....
I was referring to a movie wherein both actual live actors AND cartoon characters appear, such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit ....
I believe this is the type of movie that at one time China banned or threatened to ban.
March 24th, 2018 at 8:40:24 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
No, I did not mean "video game crossovers''....
I was referring to a movie wherein both actual live actors AND cartoon characters appear, such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit ....
I believe this is the type of movie that at one time China banned or threatened to ban.

I would be surprised if there is a ban, as one of the most popular movies of all time there, "Monster Hunt", was exactly that, a blend of live action and CGI characters. Maybe the censor's objection was to the sexiness of the Jessica Rabbit character? It raised some objections in the US too.
March 24th, 2018 at 9:17:41 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Ayecarumba
It raised some objections in the US too.
"You had plenty of money back in nineteen twenty two..." Amy Irving. uncredited.
March 24th, 2018 at 12:00:19 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
“Strangers: Prey at Night” - There are some horror films that are well done. The story, cinematography, music and special effects work well together to create an atmosphere where you care about what’s happening, and root for folks to win. Unfortunately, this film isn’t like that at all. Supposedly based on a true story, there is nothing new in this film that hasn’t already been done in many prior films. The thing that irks me the most in these films are the typical horror film victim errors:
- You can get in your car and drive away, but don’t.
- You drop the gun, or don’t bring all the ammo.
- You have a great hiding place, but leave it, especially after being told to, “Stay here”.
- When running from a pursuing vehicle, you run in the middle of the road or alley, even though non drivable areas are on either side.

Save your money and skip this yawner. I give it 1 cigarette out of 10.
March 24th, 2018 at 12:18:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Ayecarumba

- You can get in your car and drive away, but don’t.
- You drop the gun, or don’t bring all the ammo.
- You have a great hiding place, but leave it, especially after being told to, “Stay here”.
- When running from a pursuing vehicle, you run in the middle of the road or alley, even though non drivable areas are on either side.

Or the worst one, they get into
a late model car and it grinds
and grinds and won't start, but
it does just in time. Fuel injected
cars are not like that, they don't
start like 65 Chevy's with carbs..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2018 at 2:02:44 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
“Goldstone” - Seeing smaller films is like digging for geodes. You spend a lot of effort in the digging, and have to go through a lot of plain rocks to find keepers with jewels inside. “Goldstone” has some sparkle, but is otherwise a made for cable mini series pilot. The story revolves around the goings on in the Australian outback town of Goldstone, which in reality is nothing more than a couple of trailer homes on the edge of a giant mining operation. Sparks fly when a federal investigator shows up to look into a missing person case, just as the mine is getting ready to sign a huge contract with the aboriginal locals.

Since the extent of my knowledge of aboriginal Australia consists of “Quigly Down Under”, “Crocodile Dundee”, and “Mad Max” movies, it was interesting to see the characters in Goldstone behave much like folks in frontier America. Whites, Aborigines, and Chinese pursuing their separate interests in the shadow of the vast riches provided by the land beneath their feet. Unfortunately, the dark side of the pursuit of money reveals itself in the different characters who live in this town on the edge of nowhere.
The film plays very much like a classic western, so if you enjoy those types of films, you will enjoy this missing person investigation drama.

I give it 7 applecakes out of 10.
March 24th, 2018 at 4:00:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The Third Man ... for the umpteenth time. On cable last night.

Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
March 24th, 2018 at 4:42:39 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
The Third Man ... for the umpteenth time. On cable last night.

Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Is this the Hitchcock film about the double agents in Africa?