What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 24th, 2018 at 4:52:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
Is this the Hitchcock film about the double agents in Africa?
No.
Orson Welles and Trevor Howard in post war Vienna. Black and white. Stark. Winter. Shadows. Dutch angles.
Dispute over the ending. Producer wanted upbeat ending but Orson Welles insisted on a cold hopeless and more realistic ending.
March 24th, 2018 at 5:20:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just saw Game Night. As a fan of classic board games and the movie starring to actors from Friday Night Lights (the TV series), it was hard to say no. Plus, nothing else looked better.

I'm tough to please with comedies but this one was darn good. The closest movie I could compare it to would be The Hangover but Game Night is better. Definitely a fun kind of "date night" movie.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2018 at 5:38:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
https://mubi.com/

If you fancy yourself an intellectual for $9 a month there is a streaming service called Mubi. They choose one movie a day, usually old, and often in a foreign language, and you can only watch the last 30 movies chosen. But then you join the social forum and talk about the movie with 7 million kindred souls.

Compared to Netflix, $9 for 30 old movies is no bargain, but if you want to talk to movie lovers, and force yourself to explore art house cinema, this is a good chance. EB should at least try the free week and watch all the movies.

DON'T BLINK - ROBERT FRANK
LAURA ISRAEL Canada, 2015
A portrait of one of America’s finest visual artists, Don’t Blink – Robert Frank is told in a flurry of unpredictable interviews, a rich mosaic of visual reference points. Plus, its backed by a soundtrack provided by Frank’s past photographic subjects: The Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground & more.

MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON
MAYA DEREN, ALEXANDER HAMMID United States, 1943
Today we celebrate International Women’s Day with this landmark short film from the godmother of the American avant-garde, Maya Deren. No other film describes the illogic mystery of dreams quite like this one—its miraculous images are potent enough to find a way into your own dreamscape.

THREE SISTERS
WANG BING France, 2012
CHINESE INDEPENDENTS,
PART 1
We’re launching a series on the groundbreaking documentaries, often produced against the will of the state and concerning uncharted struggles, that have recently come out of China. We start with Wang Bing’s patient, provocative, and deeply compassionate portrait of three provincial young sisters.

BRITISH SOUNDS
JEAN-LUC GODARD, JEAN-HENRI ROGER, GROUPE DZIGA VERTOV United Kingdom, 1970
GODARD AND THE DZIGA
VERTOV GROUP
We continue our series on the radical—politically and cinematically—films of Godard’s Dziga Vertov Group, named after the brilliant Soviet filmmaker. This experimental doc visits scenes of labor, feminism, TV production, and student agitation to create an agitpop exposé of this post-68 moment.

FIREWORKS WEDNESDAY
ASGHAR FARHADI Iran, 2006
Iran has a great tradition of first-class filmmakers such as Kiarostami, Panahi, Makhmalbaf and, more recently, Farhadi, who took home an Oscar with his riveting The Salesman. This earlier film, set against the backdrop of the Persian New Year, is another of his engrossing explorations of marriage.

A PURE FORMALITY
GIUSEPPE TORNATORE Italy, 1994
Giuseppe Tornatore, most famous for his nostalgic masterpiece Cinema Paradiso, shows another side of his cinema with this deft and claustrophobic procedural thriller. Two legends of the art form, Gerard Depardieu & Roman Polanski, go head to head in a frantic yet sublime game of cat and mouse.

THE PIANIST
ROMAN POLANSKI Germany, 2002
Oppression, claustrophobia and the perverse absurdity of the human condition have been among the themes of Roman Polanski’s films. The director reaches his apex with this multiple Academy Award winning drama of survival—a deeply personal culmination, as Polanski himself was a Warsaw ghetto survivor.

JE T'AIME MOI NON PLUS
SERGE GAINSBOURG France, 1976
Today is legendary musician Serge Gainsbourg’s birthday, and we offer his directorial debut as celebration. Venturing outside of his recording career was in this case a total success for Gainsbourg: Je t’aime moi non plus is as sensual, entrancing and romantic as his music. Starring Jane Birkin!

KAILI BLUES
GAN BI China, 2015
This remarkable debut is formed by a playful structure, rich characters, and one of the most beguiling long takes in modern cinema. Kaili Blues is a dreamy rumination into a nation’s past and the eternal grip tradition has on contemporary life. Winner of the Best New Director award at Locarno.

FUCK FOR FOREST
MICHAŁ MARCZAK Poland, 2012
THE UNUSUAL SUBJECTS
We continue our Unusual Subjects series with perhaps the most uncanny subject matter of the selection: Fuck For Forest, for which the title effectively doubles as a synopsis. We’ll say no more. Winner of the Best Documentary at the Warsaw International Film Festival.

A FILM LIKE ANY OTHER
JEAN-LUC GODARD, GROUPE DZIGA VERTOV France, 1968
GODARD AND THE DZIGA
VERTOV GROUP
Famous for his trailblazing films in the French New Wave, Godard controversially re-invented his cinema after the failed revolution of May ’68. Our series on his radical films with Jean-Pierre Gorin and under the name Dziga Vertov Group explores cinema’s capacity for political engagement and change.

THE MILKY WAY
LUIS BUÑUEL France, 1969
BUÑUEL
In case you remain unconvinced of Luis Buñuel’s provocations, we offer one last masterpiece in subversive surrealism from his late career. The Milky Way once again assembles a stellar ensemble cast to take aim at the legacy of organized religion through an array of unforgettable comedic scenarios.

THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY
LUIS BUÑUEL France, 1974
BUÑUEL
Following his Oscar win for The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Buñuel landed his biggest production—which birthed one of his most incendiary films of subversive hilarity. A seemingly endless cast of international stars rounds out this cinematic reckoning with the absurdity of modern existence.

DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID
LUIS BUÑUEL France, 1964
BUÑUEL
Jean Renoir took his turn (in Hollywood!) adapting Octave Mirbeau’s great novel, but Buñuel made the definitive (and deliciously provocative) version—a truly wicked satire. Jeanne Moreau is unforgettable as the maid whose presence reveals the dark currents of politics and desire in the countryside.

BRIGHT NIGHTS
THOMAS ARSLAN Germany, 2017
Berlin School veteran Thomas Arslan’s return to the German festival’s competition is a majestic yet intimate father-son road movie. With unassuming minimalism and a breathtaking use of landscape, Arslan charts both a geographical and an emotional journey infused with serene, affecting melancholy.

THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE
LUIS BUÑUEL France, 1977
Luis Buñuel’s final film concerns an aging French widower who falls in love and lust with a seductive younger woman, famously played by two different actresses, Carole Bouquet and Angela Molina.
March 24th, 2018 at 5:48:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I'm tough to please with comedies but this one was darn good. The closest movie I could compare it to would be Vegas Vacation but Game Night is better. Definitely a fun kind of "date night" movie.

That trailer looks fantastic. I hope that's not all the best parts of the movie.

March 24th, 2018 at 6:29:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
That is a well done trailer. It captures the movie well but, like many trailers, went to the point where the trailer becomes a mini version of the whole movie. That plane scene, for example, doesn't happen until the end.
March 24th, 2018 at 11:59:46 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
That is a well done trailer. It captures the movie well but, like many trailers, went to the point where the trailer becomes a mini version of the whole movie. That plane scene, for example, doesn't happen until the end.

I’m very surprised you liked “Game Night”. I hope you stayed all the way through the end credits for the bonus gag.
I’ll be interested in your take of “Ready Player One”, as it contains an homage to the work of Stanley Kubrick.
March 25th, 2018 at 4:10:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Rachel McAdams looks adorable. I have seen some of her other movies, but I don't remember her as much.

Doctor Strange
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
Sherlock Holmes
Wedding Crashers
March 25th, 2018 at 8:40:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Rachel McAdams looks adorable.

I couldn't take my eyes off of Kylie Bunbury.

She seemed familiar to me but I haven't seen any of her previous films.
March 25th, 2018 at 9:07:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I couldn't take my eyes off of Kylie Bunbury. She seemed familiar to me but I haven't seen any of her previous films.

Under the Dome on CBS?
March 25th, 2018 at 10:58:27 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Under the Dome on CBS?

Despite being a Stephen King fan, I never got into that show.