What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

April 14th, 2018 at 11:31:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I only found one actor who is still alive. Bruce Dern. He was one of the 5 main characters. I might of made a mistake, but I think everyone else is dead.

Johnny Weissmuller is gone? Noooooo
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2018 at 5:12:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
There was a movie that had all these cameos. Do you know it? That list doesn't include the 4-5 main actors.

A 1990s movies with a lot of cameos (excellent film if you like black comedy)

The 1956 movie starred the famous Mexican comic film star, Cantinflas. Cantinflas play Passepartout, a French valet.

Pepe is a 1960 musical comedy film starring Cantinflas. Pepe is a hired hand, employed on a ranch. A boozing Hollywood director, Mr. Holt, buys a white stallion that belongs to Pepe's boss. Pepe, determined to get the horse back (as he considers it his family), decides to go to Hollywood where he meets dizens of stars in cameo appearances.
April 14th, 2018 at 5:31:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Most uncredited cameos might go to
Hitchcock and Stan Lee. Most to ever
appear in movies is Mel Blanc, because
it's only his voice.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 15th, 2018 at 10:21:14 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Without looking at that spoiler, I’m guessing Silent Movie. The date is a clue, but I had that guess before I saw the post.

Edit: and I was wrong.
April 15th, 2018 at 10:41:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Mosca
Without looking at that spoiler, I’m guessing Silent Movie. The date is a clue. Edit: and I was wrong.

But I have to give you kudos on your guess which was released only three weeks later. Silent Movie also had a number of cameos, but they were longer and more limited in number.Silent Movie was also a much bigger hit.
April 15th, 2018 at 12:09:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Trivia from Mad Mad Mad Mad World:

In Jack Benny's cameo he had his
Maxwell car. But the audience
didn't recognize it because Mel
Blanc wasn't doing the cars sounds
like he did on the radio for years.

The shortest cameo was 5 seconds
long, where the 3 Stooges played
firemen.

Judy Garland, Bob Hope, George Burns
and Red Skelton all turned downed
cameo offers in Mad World.
April 15th, 2018 at 6:32:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A Taste of Honey with Rita Tushingham. All the critics loved it in the sixties.

It was on cable tonight and I made my fourth attempt to watch it. Still found it boring as hell and drifted off during it.
April 17th, 2018 at 5:25:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just saw A Quiet Place. I recommend it. It's the story of a farm family struggling to survive after the earth is overrun with blind aliens with very sensitive hearing. The closest movie I could compare it to would be Signs, but Quiet Place is better. Shining performance by Emily Blunt.

My only complaint is it would have been nice to get some of the story before and after the time and place covered in the movie. They may have kept it open for sequels and prequels.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 17th, 2018 at 7:23:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
The closest movie I could compare it to would be Signs, but Quiet Place is better.

They clearly lifted one of the scenes in Netflix's new "Lost in Space" from this movie.

Quote: Wizard
Shining performance by Emily Blunt.

It's wonderful to see a husband and wife have such an amazing success story. Emily Blunt gets a lot of kudos for her acting in her previous 27 feature films, but "A Quiet Place" is going to be a massive financial success the likes of which she has never seen. This pushes them from the wealthy (~$32 million for couple) to the mega wealthy.

The Devil Wears Prada
Into the Woods
Gnomeo and Juliet
Edge of Tomorrow
April 18th, 2018 at 5:22:04 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
A little piece of trivia about Emily Blunt:

She was originally cast in Iron Man 2 as Black Widow.

20th Century Fox had her under contract and forced her to be in Gulliver's Travels (the 2010 Jack Black version) instead.

She was replaced in Iron Man 2 by Scarlett Johannson. The rest is history.

Had 20th Century Fox not screwed her over, Emily Blunt would likely be one of the biggest movie stars in the world right now...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman