What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

April 19th, 2018 at 4:28:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Yea, we got Emily Blunt under contract after her break out role in Devil Wears Prada. Let's put her in Gulliver's Travels! What a brilliant idea!

Quote: ams288
A little piece of trivia about Emily Blunt: She was originally cast in Iron Man 2 as Black Widow.

Emily Blunt and Haley Atwell are both British and about the same age.

It's a little easier to imagine Emily as Peggy Carter than as Black Widow (another Marvel role she turned down). Peggy Carter was in a main role for only one film, but Haley Atwell has done several cameo as the character in other feature films, television series, and video games.

But if Mary Poppins Returns does well this Christmas, her one two punch this year will make Emily Blunt one of the hottest actresses on Earth next year.
April 20th, 2018 at 11:30:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Saw Tropic Thunder again. Cracks me up
every time I see it. Robert Downey in
blackface playing a 'chicken-eating
Negro', and getting nominated
for an Oscar for it. Tom Cruise in
a fat suit is awesome. Jack Black
makes me laugh in every scene
as a drug addict fat guy.

The scene where Downey lectures
Stiller to never go 'full retard' when
playing a disabled person is classic.
That they left it in the movie is
hard to believe. The Left went crazy
with protests and complaints. It's
one of the funniest (and truest)
scenes in the movie.

Wikipedia has a huge article on the
making of this, worth reading.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 21st, 2018 at 5:43:54 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Saw Tropic Thunder again.

Kind of a flashback to Mel Brooks in his "Blazing Saddles" and "The Producers" days. IN BS he demonstrated that being offensive is very funny, and in TP he lampooned the concept when Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder try to make a flop by being as offensive as possible, but he ends up with a hit on his hands.

April 21st, 2018 at 6:39:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The play in which they had multiple rich women buy one hundred percent interests was called Springtime for Hitler and that was to be the title of the movie but they felt Jews would object and opted for the less offensive The Producers.

I must have missed a good deal of Tropic Thunder. Saw it on cable once: movie actors get sent on a "bonding adventure" prior to filming a jungle combat movie and slowly come to realize local drug lords think they are actual invaders..
April 21st, 2018 at 10:46:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
I must have missed a good deal of Tropic Thunder. .

The story is meaningless. You have
to listen to the dialog, it's full of
rips and one liners. It's especially
funny when the real Black guy is
always getting down on Downey
for playing a fake Black guy.

The movie is a riff on Hwood BS,
and how fake everything is. Jack
Black is an addict going thru
withdrawal and he has lots of one
liners you miss if you're not paying
attention.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 22nd, 2018 at 12:52:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
The original Thomas Crown Affair, saw it
in 1968. Saw it tonight and it just dawned
on me the lady insurance detective
figures out, with zero clues, that none
of the robbers knew each other or
the guy who hired them, and they were
paid with installments. What the..

She had not one single inkling of a clue
yet she figured out the entire robbery?
Stupidly impossible and ridiculous. Also,
Crown is smart enough to pull this off
and stupid enough to do it at his own
bank? She spots him as the culprit
immediately from looking at pics of
the banks staff?

LOL! If solving crimes were this easy,
nobody would ever commit one.
She did all this with NO CLUES! Dumb..
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:10:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
The story is meaningless. You have to listen to the dialog, it's full of rips and one liners.
Cry Danger. A film noir featuring song and dance man Dick Powell in his first role as a criminal on Turner Classic Movies last night was the same way. The storyline was not all that great but the dialog was notable. The film was directed by a film editor doing his first direction role and written by a writer who had some problems with HUAC.
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:19:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
Cry Danger. A film noir featuring song and dance man Dick Powell in his first role as a criminal on Turner Classic Movies last night was the same way. The storyline was not all that great but the dialog was notable. The film was directed by a film editor doing his first direction role and written by a writer who had some problems with HUAC.

Recorded it and watching it now. Just realized TCM is doing a Film Noir movie every Saturday night at midnight.

What does it take to like Film Noir? Amongst other things you have to like old movies and also forgive a certain amount of B-movie character and even some corniness. But I dig em.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 22nd, 2018 at 7:29:45 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
What does it take to like Film Noir?
An iconoclastic attitude and an admiration for truth.
For where else but Film Noir are all nights rainy, all alleys dead ends, all dames gin-soaked temptresses, all cops crooked? Film techniques date back to the one camera era and of course everything was shot Night For Night. Dutch angles abound in film noir Look at the NeoNoir: all cops are alcoholic losers who deal heroin, rape young girls and shoplift.
April 22nd, 2018 at 8:25:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin

A film characterized by low-key lighting, a bleak urban setting, and corrupt, cynical or desperate characters, and Dutch angles.