May 5th, 2018 at 2:20:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
You can still get those? Why would you
want the hassle. If I can't stream it on
Nflix or Prime I don't need it.

It's just what I'm used to. I'm sure my older two kids think I'm stuck in my ways and afraid of new technology.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 5th, 2018 at 4:16:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
It's just what I'm used to. I'm sure my older two kids think I'm stuck in my ways and afraid of new technology.

We all felt that about our dads at
that age.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2018 at 4:50:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
We all felt that about our dads at
that age.

My dad kindly got us an Apple 2 computer, which we begged for, but probably never touched it himself for several years, despite being a rocket scientist (literally).
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 5th, 2018 at 6:07:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

My brother and his wife get Netflix DVDs as well as streaming. They just feel like the selection of art house movies (I think this one qualifies) is much bigger

Netflix movies titles available for streaming
90 this year
661 last year
3732 total movies
May 5th, 2018 at 7:27:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
My brother and his wife get Netflix DVDs as well as streaming. They just feel like the selection of art house movies (I think this one qualifies) is much bigger

Netflix movies titles available for streaming
90 this year
661 last year
3732 total movies

Those worth watching: 10% or less.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2018 at 8:15:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
DVD.netflix.com gets new releases sooner, usually a week or two after they go on sale, and they carry things that they might never get the streaming rights to.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 7th, 2018 at 7:44:28 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Dalex64
DVD.netflix.com gets new releases sooner, usually a week or two after they go on sale, and they carry things that they might never get the streaming rights to.

That's been a constant source of aggravation to me. I was a Netflix customer twice. This go-round of several years now is streaming only. Before they divided their divisions last year, I would constantly get "movie not available for streaming : available on dvd." search returns.

Now they don't even bother to tell me they have it on dvd. Not really an improvement. I am a movie person, not so much tv, and I don't care much for their extremely limited choices.

However, I was a member when they first started and it was dvd only. My habits are such that I know better than to try the mail thing again. Perhaps they've improved it, but if I had a list of 20 movies, I would never see the first 15. Not in months of waiting. And I /my husband were terrible about keeping the mailer and sleeve sorted, as simple as that was. But the price and time lag, combined with never getting the movies I wanted, caused me to give up on them.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
May 7th, 2018 at 8:10:19 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Good ideas are often poorly executed. Think how different the DVD delivery and mailing might have gone if customers first orders included a convenient storage tray as well as a generic holder for remote controls and beverage cups.
The Red Box movie rental system works because it is so simple and the vending machines are placed in high use areas such as grocery stores.
May 9th, 2018 at 10:48:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
DISNEY LOST $100M+ ON 'WRINKLE IN TIME' BOMB

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lone-loser-disneys-big-quarter-wrinkle-time-220638977.html
May 9th, 2018 at 12:24:05 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
DISNEY LOST $100M+ ON 'WRINKLE IN TIME' BOMB

Well, they're making $600+ million in profit off of Avengers so......
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman