Evenbob
Threads: 146
Oh my god. I just tried to watch Deadpool
on TV. I lasted 18 minutes. Absolute piece
of garbage made for 12 year olds who love
the F word. Mindless drivel. Here's one
of the huge number of one star reviews
that sums it up:

If you enjoy sitting in on conversations that are typical of young and foolish teenage boys this is the movie for you. Every other line contains the F word and for some reason the director thought penis jokes are the funniest around.

The story is about as hollow as the humor. It's a cheap and bland story about revenge and invincibility painted with a veneer of "love" that is as misguided as the character's personality.The movie is littered with sarcasm and cynicism that just becomes depressing after a while.

Ryan Reynolds acts like a 13 year old boy throughout the movie, cursing and making penis jokes and then talking to the audience thinking he is very funny.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2018 at 6:56:41 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Deadpool is great.

I saw Deadpool 2 Thursday night. It is equally as great.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 20th, 2018 at 8:39:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: ams288
Deadpool is great..

Deadpool sucks. I was embarrassed for
Ryan Reynolds. The stupid bathroom
humor that wasn't even clever, it was
like Mad magazine in 1962. That you
think it was great makes my point for
me. I'm sure Terapined thought it was
marvelous. The one star reviews are
some of the most scathing I've ever
seen, 10 times more clever than the
movie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2018 at 9:04:32 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I sat through it on HBO months ago simply because of the hype. Only laughed once ("hashtag: drive-by") and at the end wondered who the secondary characters were. The metal guy? Who's that? The little girl who did whatever she could do? (don't remember what she could do, don't care) Who are these people? I had to ask around at work for answers. No interest in seeing the sequel.
May 21st, 2018 at 2:25:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Deadpool sucks. I was embarrassed for Ryan Reynolds. The stupid bathroom humor that wasn't even clever, it was like Mad magazine in 1962.

Deadpool was introduced as a minor character 9 years ago in the 4th X-men movie. He basically didn't speak and had a big fight scene. Two years later, Ryan Reynolds made the incredibly bad Green Lantern super hero movie which lost a fortune.

In 2016 Fox decided to make Deadpool the lead in their 8th X-Men movie. The production budget for the first R-rated X-man movie was less than half the normal budget for these films. It shocked everyone by becoming the biggest X-Men hit ever.

It looks like the 2018 sequel is not doing as well in the US/Canada market after the fanboys showed up for opening day, but overseas it is now a familiar product. So despite the larger budget, there will certainly be a fourth film.

The R-rated film Logan (the 10th X-Men movie) was supposed to be the sendoff for Wolverine after 17 years. Of course, it made a lot more money than the the previous movies dedicated to Wolverine. Now Ryan Reynolds wants to team with Hugh Jackman to make a combined Woverine-Deadpool film.
May 21st, 2018 at 4:02:57 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: Pacomartin
Deadpool was introduced as a minor character 9 years ago in the 4th X-men movie. He basically didn't speak and had a big fight scene. Two years later, Ryan Reynolds made the incredibly bad Green Lantern super hero movie which lost a fortune.

There is a HILARIOUS scene during the end credits of Deadpool 2 that references both of these failures.
May 21st, 2018 at 6:32:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
There is a HILARIOUS scene during the end credits of Deadpool 2 that references both of these failures.

I remember the scene from the original movie, but I have never seen either Deadpool movie. They don't really interest me.
May 21st, 2018 at 6:53:44 AM permalink
ams288
I remember the scene from the original movie, but I have never seen either Deadpool movie. They don't really interest me.

That version of Deadpool in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie was universally hated.

I'll put this in spoiler tag in case anyone doesn't want the joke ruined before seeing Deadpool 2.

There is a time travel device in Deadpool 2. During the end credits, Deadpool gets ahold of it and travels back to the scene you've embedded from Wolverine and murders that original version of Deadpool by repeatedly shooting him. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is just staring at him in disbelief and Deadpool tells him he's "cleaning up the timeline."

Then we cut to Ryan Reynolds (the actor, not in Deadpool makeup) in a fancy office looking at a script and saying, "This is it, your big break." Cut to an over-the-shoulder shot and we see he's holding the script to Green Lantern. Deadpool appears behind him, we hear a gunshot, and see blood spatter all over the script.
May 21st, 2018 at 8:01:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you get old enough with a reputation for solid performances you can make anything you want and still get acting work. Like De Niro. I will probably see at least one of the Deadpools sooner or later. My problem is, I only bother to go out to a few movies, so it usually only a couple in the theaters at most. Most stuff I end up seeing later on cable.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 21st, 2018 at 10:38:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Deadpool It shocked everyone by becoming the

I quit shortly after the Reynolds
character asked the bartender
to 'give him a blowjob', which
is a drink, and a very old joke.

I'm sure every 12 year old boy
in the audience sniggered and
guffawed, that's who the joke
is aimed at, like the rest of
the dialog is.