What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

June 6th, 2018 at 2:05:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just two more days until Won't You Be My Neighbor!

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 6th, 2018 at 7:58:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Very highly reviewed
June 6th, 2018 at 8:27:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Very highly reviewed

I've read that Fred Rogers had highly
developed persuasion skills, like Trump
has. He was a very good salesman. And
face it, Trump sold himself to America
and they elected a guy who had never
run for public office. Solely because
of his persuasion skills.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 6th, 2018 at 9:24:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
I've read that Fred Rogers had highly
developed persuasion skills, like Trump
has.

Fred Rogers could have persuaded me to jump off a cliff. I have an affection and respect for him for whom no other can compare.
June 6th, 2018 at 11:58:35 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
Fred Rogers could have persuaded me to jump off a cliff. I have an affection and respect for him for whom no other can compare.

I admired him too. He's in an elite category with Billy Graham and Jimmy Carter for me. All I've ever heard was that he was the real deal, a genuinely nice person. I miss him.
June 7th, 2018 at 1:28:33 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Howdy Doody, Mickey Mouse Club, Mister Rogers Neighborhood, Beverly Hilbillies, etc. Didn't you people watch movies on tv? Didn't you read books? Didn't you watch Sunrise Semester? Why on earth would you want to watch a children's show that is aimed at empty headed little brats?
June 7th, 2018 at 5:34:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin

It seems Tom Hanks is going to be in a fictional movie as well.
June 7th, 2018 at 7:45:40 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator

I always thought Social Security chief actuary Steve Goss looked like Mr. Rogers. He has a similar personality too. I think his charm is what helped him rise so far in government. When I was there he was the long range chief actuary and got promoted to the top job shortly after my departure. I feel okay to use this image because its out in the public domain and he frequently speaks in public and Congress about Social Security.

Image source: Disability Insurance Trust Fund: Behind the Numbers with SSA’s Chief Actuary
June 8th, 2018 at 6:30:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Hereditary

An atmospheric slow-burn horror movie with an Oscar caliber performance by Toni Collette. She really does deserve to be in the conversation next awards season, but I fear she'll get snubbed to due to movie's genre and general sense of bleakness.

I really enjoyed about 85% of it, but it does kind of go off the rails in the last 20 minutes. Yet I still can't stop thinking about it the morning after...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 8th, 2018 at 7:53:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
An atmospheric slow-burn horror movie with an Oscar caliber performance by Toni Collette. She really does deserve to be in the conversation next awards season, but I fear she'll get snubbed to due to movie's genre and general sense of bleakness.

This film is Toni Collette's (age 45) 38th film since she started at age 20. She's never been in a hit movie other than her nearly silent role as Bruce Willis's wife in Sixth Sense, so a lot of people have never heard of her. But she is a brilliant actress who will probably be snubbed as you predicted.

However, horror films are really big right now, so there is a possibility that she could be unearthed. The studio, A24 (named after an Italian road), produces films that are nearly invisible at the box office, but win a lot of awards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A24_(company)