What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 1st, 2018 at 5:57:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Somebody brought up that it became known to him that the police officer on the show was gay. Mr. Rogers said on every show, "I love you just the way you are." However, he forbade the actor to come out of the closet, at the risk of losing his job. To be honest, I would have made the same decision at the time, as homosexuality at the time was still very taboo and it would have killed the show with controversy and everyone knows it.

It was very early in the show, in the late 1960s. Mr Rogers was unusual as a mainstream minister in that he said to the man that he accepts him personally for being gay. The Stonewall riots took place in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969. For Mr Rogers to accept the idea of a gay man coming out on a children's show would have been impossible at that time period.
July 1st, 2018 at 6:12:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
It was very early in the show, in the late 1960s. Mr Rogers was unusual as a mainstream minister in that he said to the man that he accepts him personally for being gay.

I agree. You have to put things in the context of the time it happened.

The movie gave the strong impression the actor who played the police officer and Mr. Rogers were the best of friends. For a straight man to have close gay friends at the time was probably quite radical, not to mention have them on a children's television show.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 1st, 2018 at 6:13:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
It's not like you, Paco, just to put some random quote with no link or context.

I made a comment that would be the worst charge you could make about him.

I think that the worst stuff they can print about him, was that he maintained the status quo feeling of the time about mixing open homosexual behavior and a children's show.

Franc performed the role of Officer Clemmons, a friendly neighborhood policeman, in the "Neighborhood of Make-Believe" on the children's television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. In the neighborhood itself, Clemmons ran a singing and dance studio located in the building diagonally across the street from Mister Rogers' house.
He was one of the first African Americans to have a recurring role on a kids' TV series

To expect Mr Roger to have one of the first African Americans and an openly gay man to have a recurring role on a kids' TV series in 1968 would be too much to ask of even a saint.
July 5th, 2018 at 10:29:49 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Saw the latest Jumangi movie
Junk
Loved the 1st one
The latest not very good
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 6th, 2018 at 6:01:55 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Ant Man and the Wasp

Another win for Marvel. Much lower stakes than most of their movies, which is kind of refreshing. The world can't almost be ending all the time...

After the depressing events of Avengers: Infinity War, it was nice to have a more lighthearted follow-up (this one almost feels like a comedy).

Although:

The mid-credits scene at the end brings the harsh finale of Infinity War back into focus.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 6th, 2018 at 6:09:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
Ant Man and the Wasp Another win for Marvel.

Evangeline Lilly played a charming character on Lost.
July 6th, 2018 at 7:41:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Evangeline Lilly played a charming character on Lost.

Her character on that show, Kate, was rather annoying. She had it good with Jack but kept flip flopping with bad-boy Sawyer.

The character I find the most attractive was Ana, played by Michelle Rodriguez.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 6th, 2018 at 7:45:17 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I miss Lost
What a great series
It really hooked me
Watched every episode.
Really disappointed in the final season and the ending
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 6th, 2018 at 10:49:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Her character on that show, Kate, was rather annoying.

I can't believe I watched that show.
One of the most ridiculous pointless
shows ever on TV. I can remember
almost nothing about it because
it was a show about nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2018 at 2:34:25 PM permalink
GwoAE
Threads: 4
Just spent $29 for 2 people to see Jurasic Park in 3d xd. That about killed me. It better be a good movie.