What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 9th, 2018 at 10:53:32 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Watched one of my all time favorite movies, The Blues Brothers, the other day in remembrance of Matt Guitar Murphy who died Las June. I started thinking of all of the cast members who have died. I count 11 without doing any searching. I'm not saying that it's unexpected. The movie is 38 years old and it featured a few musicians who were really old at the time. It just struck me as kind of sad. Here's my list. I may have missed some.

John Belushi
Donald Duck Dunn
Mr. Fabulous
Matt Guitar Murphy
Carrie Fisher
James Brown
Ray Charles
Cab Calloway
John Lee Hooker
John Candy
Henry Gibson
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 9th, 2018 at 2:12:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: JimRockford
Watched one of my all time favorite movies, The Blues Brothers, the other day in remembrance of Matt Guitar Murphy who died Las June. I started thinking of all of the cast members who have died. I count 11 without doing any searching. I'm not saying that it's unexpected. The movie is 38 years old and it featured a few musicians who were really old at the time. It just struck me as kind of sad. Here's my list. I may have missed some.

John Belushi
Donald Duck Dunn
Mr. Fabulous
Matt Guitar Murphy
Carrie Fisher
James Brown
Ray Charles
Cab Calloway
John Lee Hooker
John Candy
Henry Gibson

Consider that not too thin Anita is still hanging in there. r e s p e c t...
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2018 at 2:30:28 PM permalink
JimRockford
Quote: rxwine
Consider that not too thin Anita is still hanging in there. r e s p e c t...

Aretha. Respect indeed. I'm guessing autocorrect got you.
August 9th, 2018 at 2:31:16 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

John Belushi
Donald Duck Dunn
Mr. Fabulous
Matt Guitar Murphy
Carrie Fisher
James Brown
Ray Charles
Cab Calloway
John Lee Hooker
John Candy
Henry Gibson

Funny, I was just thinking about watching this movie since Rawhide was on the t.v.
Is Aretha Franklin still around? What was the name of the actress who played the nun?
August 9th, 2018 at 3:20:24 PM permalink
JimRockford
Quote: Ayecarumba
Funny, I was just thinking about watching this movie since Rawhide was on the t.v.
Is Aretha Franklin still around? What was the name of the actress who played the nun?

As Rxwine pointed out the Queen of Soul is alive and well. I believe she performed st some benefit last year. Don't know about the nun. I'll look it up later if I have time

Edit: Kathleen Freeman, the penguin died in 2001 at the age of 82.
August 9th, 2018 at 7:50:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Watched one of my all time favorite movies, The Blues Brothers, the other day in remembrance of Matt Guitar Murphy who died Las June. I started thinking of all of the cast members who have died. I count 11 without doing any searching.

It's actually a little bit unexpected. While three of them died young, only three died old.

43 John Candy
60 Carrie Fisher
68 Mr. Fabulous
70 Donald Duck Dunn
73 Henry Gibson
73 James Brown
73 Ray Charles
86 Cab Calloway
88 Matt Guitar Murphy
83-88 John Lee Hooker
August 10th, 2018 at 6:39:23 PM permalink
JimRockford
Quote: Pacomartin
It's actually a little bit unexpected. While three of them died young, only three died old.

43 John Candy
60 Carrie Fisher
68 Mr. Fabulous
70 Donald Duck Dunn
73 Henry Gibson
73 James Brown
73 Ray Charles
86 Cab Calloway
88 Matt Guitar Murphy
83-88 John Lee Hooker

I see what you mean. Strong indicator that fat comedians and '70s musicians have a short life expectancy.
August 11th, 2018 at 11:12:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Watched "The Cabin in the Woods" (2012)

Interesting premise for a horror movie. Definitely a movie you should see without reading a spoiler. If you go in expecting a standard horror flick you may be disappointed even though that's what it appears to be.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 12th, 2018 at 5:21:23 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
BlacKkKlansman

The incredible true story of a black undercover cop who infiltrated the KKK in the 70s. It stars John David Washington (Denzel's son) and Adam Driver of Star Wars fame.

Topher Grace plays David Duke. It's funny, but a lot of the racial stuff his character spews out in this movie couldn't help but remind me of the things certain members on this board have been spewing recently.

This movie isn't afraid to draw direct parallels to today's political climate, where the Nazis are emboldened by the racist currently occupying the White House. In fact, the movie ends with an epilogue highlighting the events in Charlottsville one year ago, and Trump's horrible "very fine people on both sides" response.

I would not recommend this movie for rightie snowflakes. They'd melt.

Everyone else should enjoy it. It's an entertaining true story.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 12th, 2018 at 5:55:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
BlacKkKlansman

The incredible true story of a black undercover cop who infiltrated the KKK in the 70s. It stars John David Washington (Denzel's son) and Adam Driver of Star Wars fame.

Topher Grace plays David Duke. It's funny, but a lot of the racial stuff his character spews out in this movie couldn't help but remind me of the things certain members on this board have been spewing recently.

This movie isn't afraid to draw direct parallels to today's political climate, where the Nazis are emboldened by the racist currently occupying the White House. In fact, the movie ends with an epilogue highlighting the events in Charlottsville one year ago, and Trump's horrible "very fine people on both sides" response.

I would not recommend this movie for rightie snowflakes. They'd melt.

Everyone else should enjoy it. It's an entertaining true story.

Cool
Really looking forward to this
Spike can make some really good movies
I really enjoyed Malcolm X
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"