What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 15th, 2018 at 8:08:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Pacomartin
What I said is that Jamie Foxx is arguably the most musically talented celebrity that became famous as an actor. Elvis Will Smith and Barbara Streisand became famous as singers and then went into acting,

How about Julie Andrews?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 15th, 2018 at 11:19:33 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Pacomartin

Jamie Foxx is arguably the most musically talented celebrity that became famous as an actor, and you never see him touring the big stages. He did make four successful albums after his breakout performance in Ray.

I have to give that one to Beverly D'Angelo. (Note: in the movie, she knows she's his mom, but he doesn't. Nice double take by D'Angelo.)

October 15th, 2018 at 11:25:15 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Wizard
It would have been nice to have seen her before she got famous. Her Wikipedia page says she was bullied as a child for not being very attractive. Hard to believe now. Anyway, I don't claim she was exactly playing herself, but there seem to be a lot of commonalities.

That's easy, just search Youtube for Stephanie Germanotta.

October 15th, 2018 at 11:43:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mosca
I have to give that one to Beverly D'Angelo.

Good voices are a dime a dozen. Go
to any church choir and you'll find
at least one outstanding voice. It
takes a show biz personality to
go with the voice to make it as
a singer.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2018 at 12:09:28 PM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Evenbob
Good voices are a dime a dozen. Go
to any church choir and you'll find
at least one outstanding voice. It
takes a show biz personality to
go with the voice to make it as
a singer.

Agreed, but it is even more complicated than that. Have you seen the documentary 20 Feet from Stardom? It is about why some singers become stars, and some stay background singers. "Lisa Fischer said of backup singing: “'I reject the notion that the job you excel at is somehow not enough to aspire to, that there has to be something more. I love supporting other artists.' She added: 'Some people will do anything to be famous. I just wanted to sing.'”

D'Angelo started in theater, won her first award (Golden Globe) as Patsy Cline in Coal Miner's Daughter, got her break as Ellen Griswold in National Lampoon's Vacation. There's a whopper performance on Youtube at The Viper Room, but I can't link it because it is extremely x-rated, but very funny. Search Beverly D'Angelo Viper Room.
October 15th, 2018 at 2:36:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

D'Angelo started in theater,

You're forgetting her real claim to
fame. She lived with Al Pacino for
5 years and they had 2 kids together.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2018 at 3:44:51 PM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Evenbob
You're forgetting her real claim to
fame. She lived with Al Pacino for
5 years and they had 2 kids together.

And she is an Italian Duchess; she's been in an open marriage with Don Lorenzo Salviati, the only son and heir of Don Forese Salviati, 5th Duke Salviati, Marchese di Montieri and Boccheggiano, Nobile Romano Coscritto, and his wife, the former Maria Grazia Gawronska, since 1981.

Did you look for the video? It's a corker. She's a blast.
October 15th, 2018 at 5:15:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I have to give that one to Beverly D'Angelo. (Note: in the movie, she knows she's his mom, but he doesn't.

Beverly D'Angelo was a professional singer before becoming an actress. One of her early film roles was as Patsy Cline which was primarily a singing role.

I only remember her from National Lampoon's Vacation as Ellen Griswald.

My main point is that there are a lot of actors that are good singers. But if your first success was as an actor you tend to work within musicals (film or stage) or singing on albums. You don't go out and perform on big stages with in audience in the tens of thousands.

On the other hand if you are a singer who performs on the big stages it seems like they almost always try their hand at some form of acting. Many people, like Frank Sinatra, do just as well in film as they ever did on stage.
October 15th, 2018 at 7:06:45 PM permalink
Mosca
You said, “Jamie Foxx is arguably the most musically talented celebrity that became famous as an actor, and you never see him touring the big stages. He did make four successful albums after his breakout performance in Ray.”

All I’m doing is arguing. D’Angelo was a singer, but she became famous as an actress.

She was freakin’ awesome in Coal Miner’s Daughter, wasn’t she? Standard biopic, stolen by an actress singing (D’Angelo) and a singer acting (Levon Helm as Ted Webb).
October 15th, 2018 at 7:13:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
To come full circle, what is the musical talent of Bradley Cooper, who played the male lead in A Star is Born? He is seen playing the guitar and piano in the movie. However, it could have been faked. I don't think you ever saw a direct shot of him touching the piano keys.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber