What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 3rd, 2018 at 6:30:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine
She's start's the "head banging" which leads me to believe she's been watching the Wayne's World version.

There is a good inside joke to that scene in BR. Keep in mind that Mike Meyers plays the record executive who hates the song BR. I don't want to ruin the joke so will stop there.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 3rd, 2018 at 9:40:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
A bit off topic, but has anyone else noticed it is common for radio stations to cut out parts of songs? They do it so you can't tell unless you know the song very well and can detect the omission.

In addition to cutting for time (Cliff Notes “American Pie” anyone), stations also compress songs digitally, shaving seconds off a number of songs until they free up enough space for another advertisement. It’s more noticeable on some songs than others. Or. It could be that some songs are compressed more than others.
November 4th, 2018 at 6:10:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
In addition to cutting for time (Cliff Notes “American Pie” anyone), stations also compress songs digitally, shaving seconds off a number of songs until they free up enough space for another advertisement. It’s more noticeable on some songs than others. Or. It could be that some songs are compressed more than others.

I noticed they did that to the Facts of Life theme song. It just played faster after the first season.
November 4th, 2018 at 9:01:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Dalex64
There is frequently a "radio cut" and a "LP cut" for the longer songs.

Peter Frampton had a major hit with his album, Frampton Comes Alive.
The huge hit off the album, Do you Feel Like I Do, clocked in at over 14 min. Radio Stations played an edited version
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 4th, 2018 at 9:26:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
Peter Frampton had a major hit with his album, Frampton Comes Alive.
The huge hit off the album, Do you Feel Like I Do, clocked in at over 14 min. Radio Stations played an edited version

Couple of other long play songs pushed early radio into longer play. Stairway to Heaven, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Joni Mitchel's Woodstock as done by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

edit
nix the Woodstock, thought there was a longer version.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 4th, 2018 at 9:49:26 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Couple of other long play songs pushed early radio into longer play. Stairway to Heaven, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Joni Mitchel's Woodstock as done by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

edit

The song I remember most as only getting played on radio with a short version was The Doors "Light my Fire"
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 4th, 2018 at 10:13:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

edit

Probably thinking of Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
One of my favorites and a real long song
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 4th, 2018 at 11:44:22 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: kenarman
The song I remember most as only getting played on radio with a short version was The Doors "Light my Fire"

I have a tape with what I always called the "long version" of that song. Perhaps it was meant to be the standard one and everyone usually plays the short one you refer to.
November 4th, 2018 at 11:58:28 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
I have a tape with what I always called the "long version" of that song. Perhaps it was meant to be the standard one and everyone usually plays the short one you refer to.

The original album version was 7:06 and it was edited to 2:52 for a radio play version when it started getting popular.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 5th, 2018 at 5:46:13 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. I enjoyed it (more than I thought I would, actually). But I felt it was watered down. They should have gone with an R rating. With a PG-13, they had to skirt around some issues.

Also, did anyone recognize the actor who played John Deacon?

It was bugging me throughout the whole movie. I knew I recognized him from somewhere:

He was the kid from Jurassic Park!

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman