What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 5th, 2018 at 6:08:43 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: ams288
I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. I enjoyed it (more than I thought I would, actually). But I felt it was watered down. They should have gone with an R rating. With a PG-13, they had to skirt around some issues.

I guess I never paused to consider the rating. I do tend to like the edginess of R-rated movies more.

Quote:
Also, did anyone recognize the actor who played John Deacon?

Good catch! I would have never made that connection. I can't say I recognized any actors from the movie besides Rami Malek and Mike Meyers. I like it when movies don't have to rely on big star power and give lesser known actors a chance. I'm always on the side of the underdog.

I wrote on Facebook my 7 rating and my cousin is giving me a hard time about it. She and another friend of mine are saying it was "awesome" and "fabulous." One recent biographical movie I liked much more is I Tonya. What can I say, I like what I like.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 5th, 2018 at 9:47:58 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. I enjoyed it (more than I thought I would, actually). But I felt it was watered down. They should have gone with an R rating. With a PG-13, they had to skirt around some issues.

Investors don't like R rated movies. But if it was an indie film it might have taken more on.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 5th, 2018 at 12:54:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Investors don't like R rated movies. But if it was an indie film it might have taken more on.

For really big budget films investors don't like R rates movies, but smaller budget R-rated films have been doing extremely well in the last few years.

So far in 2018 (domestic)
PG $1.61 billion
PG-13 $4.98 billion
R $2.22 billion

2018 Highly successful R rated films
Deadpool 2: Production Budget: $110 million: Worldwide: $734 million
Fifty Shades Freed: Production Budget: $55 million: Worldwide: $371 million
The Nun: Production Budget: $22 million: Worldwide: $364 million
A Star is Born: Production Budget: $36 million: Worldwide: $296 million
Halloween (2018):Production Budget: $10 million: Worldwide: $230 million (17 days)
The Equalizer 2 : Production Budget: $62 million: Worldwide: $190 million

2018 Highly successful PG-13 rated films (with modest budgets)
A Quiet Place: Production Budget: $17 million: Worldwide: $339 million
Crazy Rich Asians: Production Budget: $30 million: Worldwide: $235 million
November 7th, 2018 at 8:41:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Sasha Baron Cohen was originally picked to play Freddie Mercury. After a couple years he left the project over creative differences with the band members who had final say. Sasha was going to portray the actual very very wild lifestyle Mercury lived. He also wanted the part where Freddie dies and how the band got on afterwards.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 7th, 2018 at 10:27:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Black Panther on Nflix. 45 min in, I was
falling asleep it was soooo boring.
And why are all the black people
green in their home country. Bad
acting, slow plot, hardly any action,
I shut if off. This review sums it up:

I had a free rental on FandangoNow so my wife and I decided to watch it. At the end she turned to me and said OMG that movie was so boring, I'm glad we didn't pay for it. I just laughed and said "And this is why I didn't want to pay money to see it in the theatre."
I'm gonna just say it, Black Panther SUCKED! This movie was utter garbage. The accents were awful and a total insult to Africans. The storyline was so boring it made for a very long 2 hours. Terrible, terrible movie!
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 8th, 2018 at 5:46:23 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Black Panther on Nflix. 45 min in, I was
falling asleep it was soooo boring.
And why are all the black people
green in their home country. Bad
acting, slow plot, hardly any action,
I shut if off.

I hate to somewhat agree with EB, but the beginning of Black Panther is boring. It gets better in the 2nd half.

But overall it’s just an average Marvel movie, not really worthy of the huge success.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 8th, 2018 at 5:54:01 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I hate to somewhat agree with EB, but the beginning of Black Panther is boring. It gets better in the 2nd half.

But overall it’s just an average Marvel movie, not really worthy of the huge success.

Hmm
I only watched the 1st half on netflix and was a bit disappointed and did not finish it.
May have to finish it

Just watched Deepwater Horizon
Really liked it a lot
Kurt Russel and John Malkovich were great
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 8th, 2018 at 10:07:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I hate to somewhat agree with EB,

The acting was just awful. And the
story was insulting. A tribe of
black/green people are so tech
advanced that they can keep it
all hidden from the world, and
still have plates in their bottom
lips and carry spears and dance
around in native costumes all
the time. And their accents were
so weird I could barely understand
the words. Forest Whitacker was
the only actor I knew, the others
were like extras they gave lines to.

On Rotten Tomatoes alone there
are 300 pages (PAGES) of reviews
like this:

At best it is a movie made with 90% green screen sequences but in reality it is a discombobulated mash of garbage that takes way too long to develop any story whatsoever and that storyline is as thin and weak as a nightclub whiskey, left stale overnight and re-poured.
The hype is over-rated movie is ultimately disappointing. May appeal to Millennials who exist without a functioning braincell.

Yet the pro critics on RT gave it
97% because they're terrified of
being non PC and insulting the
black/green community.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 8th, 2018 at 12:23:40 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob

On Rotten Tomatoes alone there
are 300 pages (PAGES) of reviews
like this:

Rotten Tomatoes user reviews mean less than nothing, ESPECIALLY with Marvel/Disney movies.

Looks like you fell for some fake news reviews.

'Black Panther' Targeted By Alt-Right Trolls Who Also Tried to Tank 'Last Jedi'
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 8th, 2018 at 12:34:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Rotten Tomatoes user reviews mean less than nothing, ESPECIALLY with Marvel/Disney movies.

Looks like you fell for some fake news reviews.

'Black Panther' Targeted By Alt-Right Trolls Who Also Tried to Tank 'Last Jedi'

Don't these right wing clowns have lives
I don't like a movie, I ignore it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"