What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 27th, 2015 at 10:57:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Liam Neeson is very close to jumping the shark. The ads for his new film "Run All Night", really look like "Taken 5".

Seth McFarlane can take over the role (about 3:00)
February 27th, 2015 at 12:56:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Liam Neeson is very close to jumping the shark. The ads for his new film "Run All Night", really look like "Taken 5".

I don't know how Neeson fell into this genre.
He's never seemed like the action hero type.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 27th, 2015 at 3:02:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Probably, but as I said in a different thread: Even Rocky 93 will make someone some money, perhaps in Nursing Home sales.

>>>> I don't know how Neeson fell into this genre. He's never seemed like the action hero type.
He admitted in one interview that it was an unexpected role for him, too, but as actors often say "Hey, its a gig" meaning they are going to pay you to do it, so do it.
February 27th, 2015 at 3:24:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
"Hey, its a gig" meaning they are going to pay you to do it, so do it.

Paul Schaffer, Letterman's band leader,
always says the job is a 'good gig' when
asked about it. He's understating it, of
course. For a musician, it's the cherry gig
of all time. 32 years of good employment.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 27th, 2015 at 3:52:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
He admitted in one interview that it was an unexpected role for him, too, but as actors often say "Hey, its a gig" meaning they are going to pay you to do it, so do it.

He said ihe was being paid $5 million to spend a few weeks in Paris. He figured it was a great opportunity that would not have a second act.

After Schindler's List he had supporting roles in Batman Begins, The Phantom Menace, but his movies with starring roles were either modest hits or vanished.

$millions worldwide
$177 The Haunting ($80 million budget)
$107 Nell
$17 Kinsey
$4 Breakfast on Pluto
$3 Gun Shy

That is not really B-list for 15 years of production. He never expected Taken to make him an A-list actor
February 27th, 2015 at 4:05:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin

After Schindler's List he had supporting roles in Batman Begins, The Phantom Menace, but his movies with starring roles were either modest hits or vanished.

Wasn't he the lead in a Star Wars movie
in the late 90's? That had to do OK.
February 27th, 2015 at 5:17:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Wasn't he the lead in a Star Wars movie
in the late 90's? That had to do OK.

I did mention the Phantom Menace. But that is really not a Liam Neeson movie. He has more of a supporting role to George Lucas's film. You have that stupid dialogue, and it reflects Lucas, not him.

Although he had other well known actors in The Haunting and Nell, he was clearly the lead actor in those films.

Quote: Neeson dialogue

QUI-GON : (off screen voice) Captain.
QUI-GON : (V.O) Tell them we wish to board at once.
QUI-GON : I don't sense anything.
QUI-GON : Don't center on your anxiety, Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs.
QUI-GON : .....but not at the expense of the moment. Be mindful of the living Force, my young Padawan.
QUI-GON : These Federation types are cowards. The negotiations will be short.

QUI-GON : Destroyer droids!
QUI-GON : It's a standoff! Let's go!
QUI-GON : Battle droids.
QUI-GON : It's an odd play for the Trade Federation. We've got to warn the
Naboo and contact Chancellor Valorum. Let's split up. Stow aboard separate
ships and meet down on the planet.

QUI-GON : Let go!
QUI-GON : Are you brainless? You almost got us killed!
QUI-GON : The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. Now get outta here!
QUI-GON starts to move off, and JAR JAR follows.
QUI-GON : That wont be necessary.
QUI-GON : I have no time for this now...
QUI-GON : Stay down!

QUI-GON : You forgot to turn your power off again, didn't you?
QUI-GON : (cont'd) It won't take long to recharge, but this is a lesson I
hope you've learned, my young Padawan.
QUI-GON : A local. Let's go, before more of those droids show up.
QUI-GON : A city! (JAR JAR nods his head) Can you take us there?
QUI-GON : No??!
QUI-GON : You hear that?
QUI-GON : (cont'd) That's the sound of a thousand terrible things heading this way...
QUI-GON : Much farther?

QUI-GON : (waves his hand) Then speed us on our way.
QUI-GON : We need a transport.
QUI-GON : Thank you for your help. We go in peace.
QUI-GON : A transport, I hope.
QUI-GON : Thank you, my friend.
QUI-GON : We'll need a navigator to get us through the planet's core. This Gungan my be of help.
QUI-GON : (cont'd) What is to become of Jar Jar Binks here?
QUI-GON : He has been a great help to us. I hope the punishment will not be too severe.
QUI-GON : We need a navigator to get us through the planet's core. I have
saved Jar Jar Binks' life. He owes me what you call a "life.debt."
QUI-GON : Your gods demand that his life belongs to me now.

QUI-GON : You're the navigator.
QUI-GON : Full speed ahead.
QUI-GON : There's always a bigger fish.
QUI-GON : Stay calm. We're not in trouble yet.
QUI-GON : Relax.
QUI-GON : Head for that outcropping.

QUI-GON : Get this thing started.
QUI-GON : Come on...
QUI-GON : (cont'd) Come on, Jar Jar.

QUI-GON : Your Highness, we are the Ambassadors, for the Supreme Chancellor.
QUI-GON : The negotiations never took place. Your Highness, we must make contact with the republic.
QUI-GON : That won't be a problem. (to Amidala) Your Highness, under the circumstances, Isuggest you come to Coruscant with us.
QUI-GON : They will kill you if you stay.
QUI-GON : The situation here is not what it seems. There is something else behind all this, Your Highness. There is no logic in the Federation's move here. My feelings tell me they will destroy you.
QUI-GON : If you are to leave, Your Highness, it must be now.
QUI-GON : I'm Ambassador for the Supreme Chancellor, and I'm taking those people to Coruscant.

QUI-GON : We'll have to land somewhere to refuel and repair the ship.
QUI-GON : It's controlled by the Hutts...
QUI-GON : ...It would be no different than if we landed on a system controlled by the Federation...except the Hutts aren't looking for her, which gives us an advantage.

QUI-GON : Yor Highness, we are heading for a remote planet called Tatooine.
It is a system far beyond the reach of the Trade Federation. There we will
be able to make needed repairs, then travel on to Coruscant.
QUI-GON : You must trust my judgement, Your Highness.

QUI-GON : Land near the outskirts. We don't want to attract any attention.
QUI-GON : Don't let them send ant transmissions. Be wary...I sense a disturbance in the Force.
QUI-GON : No more commands from Her Highness today, Captain. This spaceport is not going to be pleasant...
QUI-GON : I don't have time to argue. But this is not a good idea. Stay close to me.
QUI-GON : ...moisture farms for the most part, but also a few indigenous tribes and scavengers. The few spaceports like this one are havens for those who do not wish to be found...
QUI-GON : We'll try one of the smaller dealers.
QUI-GON : I need parts for a J-type 327 Nubian.
QUI-GON : My droid here has a readout of what I need.

QUI-GON : Don't touch anything.

QUI-GON : I have 20,000 Republic dataries.
QUI-GON : I don't have anything else. (raising his hand) But credits will do fine.
QUI-GON : Credits will do fine.

QUI-GON : ...Obi-Wan, you're sure there isn't anything of value left on board?
QUI-GON : All right. Another solution will present itself. I'll check back.
QUI-GON : Not likely. We have nothing of value, that's our problem.

QUI-GON : Nevertheless, the boy is right...you were heading for trouble.
QUI-GON : We'll hed back to our ship.
QUI-GON : I'm Qui-Gon Jinn, and this is Jar Jar Binks.
QUI-GON : Your son was kind enough to offer us shelter.
QUI-GON : I have enough food for a meal.
QUI-GON : He's a very special boy.

QUI-GON : It sounds like bait to establish a connection trace.
QUI-GON : Either way, we're running out of time.

QUI-GON : (Cont'd) Don't do that again.
QUI-GON : What?
QUI-GON : What makes you think that?
QUI-GON leans back and slowly smiles.
QUI-GON : Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him.
QUI-GON : I wish that were so...
QUI-GON : No, I'm afraid not...
QUI-GON : I can see there's no fooling you...(leans forward) You mustn't let anyone know about us...we're on our way to Coruscant, the central system in the Republic, on a very important mission, and it must be kept secret.
QUI-GON : I believe you can, but our first job is to aquire the parts we need...
QUI-GON : Podracing... Greed can be a powerful ally.. if it's used properly.

QUI-GON : My ship will be the entry fee.
QUI-GON : It's in good order, except for the parts we need.
QUI-GON : I have...acquired a Pod in a game of chance. "The fastest ever built."
QUI-GON : Fifty-fifty!?! If it's going to be fifty-fifty, I suggest you front the cash for the entry. If we win, you keep all the winnings, minus the cost of the parts I need...If we lose, you keep my ship.
QUI-GON : (Cont'd) Either way, you win.
QUI-GON : (V.O) A ship without a power supply will not get us anywhere, and there is something about this boy...

QUI-GON : You should be proud of your son. He gives without any thought of reward.
QUI-GON : He has special powers.
QUI-GON : He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to have such quick reflexes. It is a Jedi trait.
QUI-GON : The Force is unusally strong with him, that much is clear. Who was his father?
QUI-GON : I'm afraid not. Had he been born in the Republic, we would have identified him early, and he would have become Jedi, no doubt...he has the
way. But it's too late for him now, he's too old.
February 28th, 2015 at 8:36:37 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We watched The Theory of Everything tonight. It was a decent enough biopic. Not much of a dramatic arc, but it felt like a life, whereas many biopics do not. Redmayne is excellent in it. Birdman is by far the better picture, but I really have to say that the Best Actor award went to the better performance.
March 1st, 2015 at 1:11:20 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The Oxford Murders, Elijah Wood and John Hurt.

I was not impressed. I found some of the major plot elements to be highly improbable/too convenient, and found some of the characters one-dimensional and their motivations unfathomable.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 4th, 2015 at 7:46:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Just saw “The Descendants”; not sure what made me interested, but once I started I went ‘uh-oh’ - not for me - I was thinking I couldn’t relate to the movie.

Something drew me back to it, and I was glad. I finally realized it was because it has elements of “About Schmidt”. In other words, a different kind of comedy, and in fact only partly comedy. Situational, very little of what you would call jokes. The main character just goes through very amusing moments in the midst of real life. But something short of hilarious, not intended to be either.

To any one person, actually, it might not be the least bit funny. It certainly has poignant moments, especially by the end. But if you liked “About Schmidt” I recommend seeing this one too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1033575/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]