Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Just watched a new "thriller" from Netflix called "Cam" -

Watched the first 5 eps of Homecoming
on Prime with Julia Roberts. So boring
and so many flash backs and flash
middles and forwards, I gave up. I
cared about none of the characters.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 17th, 2018 at 3:08:31 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
Watched the first 5 eps of Homecoming
on Prime with Julia Roberts. So boring
and so many flash backs and flash
middles and forwards, I gave up. I
cared about none of the characters.

You convinced when you named Julia Roberts
November 17th, 2018 at 4:28:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
You convinced when you named Julia Roberts

I like Julia Roberts in some things, so
I watched without reading the reviews.
Yikes. And Julia is getting long in the
tooth, her mouth just gets more
frightening the older she gets.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 17th, 2018 at 4:32:45 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
“You Were Never Really Here” stars Joaquin Phoenix as a mentally disturbed war veteran who works as an enforcer and recoverer of girls trafficked into prostitution. Phoenix is excellent playing a character that seems to fit with his recent performances in other offbeat, mentally unstable lead roles. The violence is brutal and vicious. The story is purposely confusing, giving insight into the character’s mental state. Much more than a slasher film, this Amazon Prime production is more like “Taxi Driver” or “American Psycho” in that the character is the center of the film, and the violence informs the audience about the character, not the other way round (like “Saw” or “Hostel”). If you want to see great character acting, and aren’t put off by some bloody fight scenes and a disorienting storyline, you will enjoy this movie. In fact, you should be prepared to watch it twice, as the second time will help unpack the confusing cuts between reality, imagination and memory.

I give it 8 ballpeen hammers out of 10.
November 17th, 2018 at 5:06:41 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Ayecarumba
“You Were Never Really Here” stars Joaquin Phoenix as a mentally disturbed war veteran who works as an enforcer and recoverer of girls trafficked into prostitution. Phoenix is excellent playing a character that seems to fit with his recent performances in other offbeat, mentally unstable lead roles. The violence is brutal and vicious. The story is purposely confusing, giving insight into the character’s mental state. Much more than a slasher film, this Amazon Prime production is more like “Taxi Driver” or “American Psycho” in that the character is the center of the film, and the violence informs the audience about the character, not the other way round (like “Saw” or “Hostel”). If you want to see great character acting, and aren’t put off by some bloody fight scenes and a disorienting storyline, you will enjoy this movie. In fact, you should be prepared to watch it twice, as the second time will help unpack the confusing cuts between reality, imagination and memory.

I give it 8 ballpeen hammers out of 10.

I watched the trailer and it looked like you would have to be high to enjoy it
November 17th, 2018 at 5:08:36 PM permalink
aceofspades
I Just watched Open Windows -- omg was the horrible - the gateway issue is that this guy drives around town with a laptop (not an iPad) and miraculously is still connected to the Internet

Open Windows trailer
November 17th, 2018 at 9:24:28 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I like Julia Roberts in some things, so
I watched without reading the reviews.
Yikes. And Julia is getting long in the
tooth, her mouth just gets more
frightening the older she gets.

OMG Bob, people get older! What would women say about you now that you're old?
November 17th, 2018 at 10:40:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: zippyboy
OMG Bob, people get older! What would women say about you now that you're old?

I don't make movies with my looks,
who cares what they say.
November 18th, 2018 at 9:52:00 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62

and so many flash backs and flash middles and forwards, I gave up. .
It was all kept clear by the lighting and wardrobe colors.
November 19th, 2018 at 4:29:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The 2018 BBC 5 episode production of Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White", shown recently on PBS, was pretty good. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6036728/?ref_=tt_ch

I was struck by Jessie Buckley. She is to me the type of woman that is very attractive in a puzzling way; definitely wouldnt be a beauty contest winner. Something about her projects from an inner source of character. This fit well with the part she played. 

Partly I think this comes from the imperfection of her looks. As she gets older she will possibly get sort of horse-faced, the hint of it now attracts me [why?]. I think we will see more and more of her for now and I think she will have a long carreer too, playing interesting parts. 

image from https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/culture/jessie-buckley-you-can-take-the-girl-out-of-kerry-but-829006.html
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]